Shantel101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
How can I learn future and past tense in an easy way? Also how can I do well in a speaking exam?
S_x_m_x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you asked your french teacher to help you
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've not taught languages for a while, so I hope this helps.

For the picture part of the oral exam...
Are you given the photo in advance? I know my son could take his own photo in. If so, you can look things up in advance and memorise it if you like.
Make sure you include all 3 tenses for extra marks. My son had a photo of his friends on a school trip to Italy. He said they were also there yesterday. They are enjoying themselves now, and will all maybe come back again someday. Imagine what the boys are thinking. Plenty of opinions helps. What are they drinking? Or eating? Is one carrying a rucksack? Has somebody bought a souvenir? What is the resort like? Is there lots to do? For example someone was riding past them on a bike - include that. You can fit this in with the vocab you know. The teacher will ask you some questions about it, so think of questions he/she may ask, then look up the answers in a dictionary, write them down and memorise the answers. Also ask your friends/family the questions they would ask about the photo, just in case you have missed something. They may ask you about the weather in the pic etc so you can bring out the set phrases you should know.

As for the speaking exam, you can use the set phrases you know to build up a profile of yourself and write these down and learn. For example, where do you live? Is it in the town or the countryside? What do you think of it? What is your house like? Your room? Your school? What are your favourite subjects? And the worst teachers? Hobbies etc. Think of plenty of opinions so you can embellish your replies. And there may be a situation, such as asking the way to somewhere. Revise the relevant sections of your text book and maybe write down some key phrases of situational vocab and revise. The speaking tests are quite easy as the questions will not be anything new and you can pre-empt the replies and revise for them. The reading and listening sections, however, may introduce new words you may not be familiar with. Do not panic if you come across these words, as you do not need to know everything. Hope this helps and do ask me if you need any more advice.
(Original post by Shantel101)
How can I learn future and past tense in an easy way? Also how can I do well in a speaking exam?
labrador716
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The near future tense is pretty simple once you get your head around it - it's actually easier than the present tense, as all you need to know is the verb aller (to go), which is very helpful anyway.

You can form it in exactly the same way as the English near future tense - 'I'm going to play football tomorrow', 'He's going to eat that cake'. Like in English, you put the subject (who's doing the action, so I/he/they/etc.), the verb 'to go', and then the infinitive form of the verb (the one you find in the dictionary that ends in -er, -ir or -re in French so to go/to play/jouer etc.). That means pretty much the only thing you have to learn is the verb aller, which means 'to go':

je vais (I am going)
tu vas (you are going)
il/elle va (he/she is going)
nous allons (we are going)
vous allez (you (plural or formal) are going)
ils/elles vont (they are going)

So use one of these and the unchanged form of the verb and you're done. Examples:
- Je vais jouer = I am going to play
- Nous allons parler = We are going to talk
- Il va écouter à la musique = He is going to listen to music

It's useful to know some future time frames as well - demain (tomorrow), la semaine prochaine (next week) and l'année prochaine (next year) are the most common:
- Demain, elle va faire ses devoirs = Tomorrow, she's going to do her homework
- La semaine prochaine, je vais visiter mes grands-parents = Next week, I'm going to visit my grandparents
- L'année prochaine, ils vont manger un sandwich = Next year, they're going to eat a sandwich.

Hope this helps!
Shantel101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by S_x_m_x)
Have you asked your french teacher to help you
Yes but I just have bad memory and they said that I just have to find a way to remember they also gave me websites to tryout I liked on but it would take me ages to remember all these words and tenses in a short amount of time
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m afraid there’s no shortcut. The vocabulary has to be learned. It can be laborious at the time, but worth it when you open your gcse results
S_x_m_x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Shantel101)
Yes but I just have bad memory and they said that I just have to find a way to remember they also gave me websites to tryout I liked on but it would take me ages to remember all these words and tenses in a short amount of time
I guess you'll just have to find a way around remembering it and maybe write post it notes on french and stick it around places you go most in your house if you get me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads