Leia studies
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What are the best & proven ways to revise for A level English Literature. I'm aiming for an A & above.

Thanks
gmsb09
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Learn critic quotes and quotes from the text
Aidancccc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Flip to a random page on a text and scan it or get another piece of paper, and annotate/make notes on it to improve at your analysis. Also you NEED to know critic quotes, basic themes and messages in poetry and quotes from texts
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Remember key quotes and relevant context it is easy in the exam to stick a random quote and random context here and there however it doesnt show your understanding of the question It is important that you focus on the question and make sure you include all AO's, so practising past questions ect will help reinforce structure. I think you should focus on understanding the text and make sure you are aware of what happens in each scene ect- maybe a time line i find these help with remembering everything. Also make sure you aware of the links to the genre e.g tragedy just be aware of all features and be able to point these out to the examiner.
CloudySkies238
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wordsandroses)
Learn critic quotes and quotes from the text
Hi I'm currently in Year 12 and we've not been told about critic quotes - is this something that comes in later? We are doing AQA.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CloudySkies238)
Hi I'm currently in Year 12 and we've not been told about critic quotes - is this something that comes in later? We are doing AQA.
This. I'm in Year 13 and we've not been told to revise 'critic quotes'. Of course it's important to know general postcolonial/Marxist ideas but this isn't something I actively revise for, more something I come up with on the spot and it seems to work
I got A on my set two texts last year and messed up on the unseen poetry because I didn't revise for it so got a C, and ended up with a B on my mock (one mark away from an A ).
I'd say to know the general themes inside and out. If you're doing Love through the ages (or any other theme) you need to be able to say in which ways your text explores that theme - so for me, I'm doing Love through the Ages. I'd explore how a text presents love (transcendental, spiritual, progressive, eternal, paradoxical) and then use quotes to support it. Memorizing quotes is obviously important, but it's much more important to explore that quote - focusing on connotations, how it contributes to the overall tone, and significantly, the presentation of the theme.
gmsb09
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry I’m not sure I do OCR and it’s part of A05
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
This. I'm in Year 13 and we've not been told to revise 'critic quotes'. Of course it's important to know general postcolonial/Marxist ideas but this isn't something I actively revise for, more something I come up with on the spot and it seems to work
I got A on my set two texts last year and messed up on the unseen poetry because I didn't revise for it so got a C, and ended up with a B on my mock (one mark away from an A ).
I'd say to know the general themes inside and out. If you're doing Love through the ages (or any other theme) you need to be able to say in which ways your text explores that theme - so for me, I'm doing Love through the Ages. I'd explore how a text presents love (transcendental, spiritual, progressive, eternal, paradoxical) and then use quotes to support it. Memorizing quotes is obviously important, but it's much more important to explore that quote - focusing on connotations, how it contributes to the overall tone, and significantly, the presentation of the theme.
Critic quotes are probably pretty damn useful when proving to the examiner that you know your AO5 sh*t. I am with OCR, and we have been told to remember different quotes from different critics across a long period of time. It's just the same as with AO1 )for what we have been told anyway): quotes do not have to be remembered but they can definitely be seen as strengthening the argument as they provide solid justification.
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Critic quotes are probably pretty damn useful when proving to the examiner that you know your AO5 sh*t. I am with OCR, and we have been told to remember different quotes from different critics across a long period of time. It's just the same as with AO1 )for what we have been told anyway): quotes do not have to be remembered but they can definitely be seen as strengthening the argument as they provide solid justification.
Do you know if AQA works that way as well? My teacher literally told us it’s not necessary
Last edited by angelinahx; 1 year ago
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you know if AQA works that way as well? My teacher literally told us it’s not necessary
I don't know, sorry. I would recommend listening to your teacher though. I'm just a random student on the internet. They probably have access to the specification, advice from examiners and other materials locked away from the general public.
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Its not necessary but its a good way to tell the examiner you do other readings and show off a little bit AO5 looks at links across texts so it could be good to use, perhaps refer to critics like feminist critics would say.... you dont need to know quotes though your not expected to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads