In a people's vote of PM deal , no deal or remain , which would you vote for?

Watch
FemaleinDress
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
We always talk about a people's vote but where would you vote for in one

I will go for remain - the best one out of the three.
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There will never be a three way vote, it causes more problems and never any solutions
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FemaleinDress)
We always talk about a people's vote but where would you vote for in one

I will go for remain - the best one out of the three.
You question spilts the leave vote and unites the remain vote.

Remaining in the EU is not the best one out if the three at all I'd say its the most damaging one.

I'd vote May's deal
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A 3 way only works if the promise to have a runoff between the top 2.

For example lets say remain gets 45%, no deal gets 40% and May's deal 15%. What do you do then? leave has clearly still won 55 v 45. But remain is the highest option, do we have a runoff between remain and No Deal?
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No deal, I am fascinated what will happen.
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Assuming the referendum was "leave or remain", and then "if you voted remain but we leave, do you vote for deal or no deal", I'd pick remain and no deal.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It would have to be ranked choice voting to avoid splitting the leave vote, so I would vote:

1) Remain
2) PM's deal
3) No deal
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
A 3 way only works if the promise to have a runoff between the top 2.

For example lets say remain gets 45%, no deal gets 40% and May's deal 15%. What do you do then? leave has clearly still won 55 v 45. But remain is the highest option, do we have a runoff between remain and No Deal?
That's the grand master plan to rig the vote
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
It would have to be ranked choice voting to avoid splitting the leave vote, so I would vote:

1) Remain
2) PM's deal
3) No deal
This is an idea me and my boss was talking about, it could be a flyer but I am still against having it, I'm such case I would vote:

1) May's deal
2) No deal
3) Remain
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If remain is an option so should leave with different deal
Johnathan94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Remain.

This is the unfair advantage that Leavers fail to acknowledge that they had during the referendum - Leave can in fact be comprised of a dozen or so different shades of voters, each with their own definitions of what it was they wanted to achieve and what they would be prepared to risk to achieve those things, and afterwards politicians can deliver any one of those and claim to be speaking for 52% fo the electorate.

Remain, imperfect a campaign as it was, is a pretty clear position - no room to promise people the earth and deliver them f*** all there.
Last edited by Johnathan94; 1 year ago
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
If remain is an option so should leave with different deal
You can't vote on something that doesn't even exist.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Johnathan94)
Remain.

This is the unfair advantage that Leavers fail to acknowledge that they had during the referendum - Leave can in fact be comprised of a dozen or so different shades of voters, each with their own definitions of what it was they wanted to achieve and what they would be prepared to risk to achieve those things, and afterwards politicians can deliver any one of those and claim to be speaking for 52% fo the electorate.

Remain, imperfect a campaign as it was, is a pretty clear position - no room to promise people the earth and deliver them f*** all there.
That's because its not true, you told just as many lies and scared just as many.
Johnathan94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would dispute that but I'm certainly not here to defend the Remain campaign, and I don't really know why you're introducing the irrelevant point.
My suggestion was that the Remain vote is a truly cohesive body of voters for whom the outcome didn't have any nuisance about it - in 2016 they were instructing parliament not to sever Britain's connections with European institutions.

The Leave camp just simply cannot make that claim: No Deal, Norway+, End Free Movement, Hard, Soft, Border in Ireland, No Border In Ireland, Customs Unions and lets not forget Theresa May's inventive solution to Northern Ireland which can be essentially summarised as "some crap to do with cameras that doesn't exist yet". Politicians who speak for Remainers speak for 48% of the population, but the Leave camp is fractured. And it's not my fault - go trouble David Cameron's shiny little ears with your grievances about the issue, he should have structured the vote better.

...Might also have been nice if he'd made some arrangements in the event he would lose too.
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
That's because its not true, you told just as many lies and scared just as many.
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would dispute that but I'm certainly not here to defend the Remain campaign, and I don't really know why you're introducing the irrelevant point.
My suggestion was that the Remain vote is a truly cohesive body of voters for whom the outcome didn't have any nuisance about it - in 2016 they were instructing parliament not to sever Britain's connections with European institutions.

The Leave camp just simply cannot make that claim: No Deal, Norway+, End Free Movement, Hard, Soft, Border in Ireland, No Border In Ireland, Customs Unions and lets not forget Theresa May's inventive solution to Northern Ireland which can be essentially summarised as "some crap to do with cameras that doesn't exist yet". Politicians who speak for Remainers speak for 48% of the population, but the Leave camp is fractured. And it's not my fault - go trouble David Cameron's shiny little ears with your grievances about the issue, he should have structured the vote better.

...Might also have been nice if he'd made some arrangements in the event he would lose too.
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Nah we just wanted to leave 😉
Couldn't agree more with your last point though.
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

1) Remain
2) PM's deal
3) No deal
I would say exactly the same thing.

For what it’s worth, if May had been able to negotiate a better deal than she has - one which continues to give us access to the single market that is as frictionless as possible, whilst also leaving us free to negotiate our own trade agreements across the rest of the world, then I’d have voted for it. The more of a globalised economy we can be, the better.

I think she has sacrificed a lot of benefits by insisting upon ending the free movement of people; something which I was perfectly happy with in the first place.
Last edited by tazarooni89; 1 year ago
Johnathan94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

1) Remain
2) PM's deal
3) No deal
Serious question: why is it important not to split the Leave vote?

This has been the problem all along. 'Leave' isn't actually a position, it's a conglomerate of several different varieties of Brexit each with its own priorities and things it's willing to concede. In every other vote I've ever took part in (including the Scottish Independence Referendum) people had to choose a position. I wasn't allowed to vote No, but with 'Yes'' to the issues of military deployment or taxation (for example), or "Yes" except for the issues of currency and nuclear power.

People have to pick a camp and live in it - I really don't see why the binary system we've all lived with until now needs to be torn up to please Leave voters?
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

This has been the problem all along. 'Leave' isn't actually a position, it's a conglomerate of several different varieties of Brexit each with its own priorities and things it's willing to concede. In every other vote I've ever took part in (including the Scottish Independence Referendum) people had to choose a position. I wasn't allowed to vote No, but with 'Yes'' to the issues of military deployment or taxation (for example), or "Yes" except for the issues of currency and nuclear power.

People have to pick a camp and live in it - I really don't see why the binary system we've all lived with until now needs to be torn up to please Leave voters?
Because you could end up in the position where remain wins with let's say 48% of the vote.
The only fair way of having 3 options would be to say that remain would have to get over 50% or we go with the higher percentage of the leave options.
annabel_gilmour
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kinyonga)
Assuming the referendum was "leave or remain", and then "if you voted remain but we leave, do you vote for deal or no deal", I'd pick remain and no deal.
i thought this but i realised its unfair - people who initially wanted to stay should still get a say in whether we have May’s deal or no deal if we leave. the ballot paper should be ‘leave or remain’ and then ‘if we were to leave, May’s deal or no deal’
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

When has there ever been a vote on military deployment or any of the others you've mentioned? I don't recall any of those happening, certainly within my lifetime
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (188)
59.87%
No (69)
21.97%
Not sure (57)
18.15%

Watched Threads