The Student Room Group

Primary PGCE at UCL IOE 2019 entry

Hey everyone,

I have applied for Primary PGCE at UCL and have accepted an offer. After watching YouTube videos and hearing from friends experiences, I am really nervous about starting my PGCE in September 2019. I've always wanted to be a primary school teacher and have never been as nervous as I am now to start. What worries me the most is that people have said that their mentors have been unhelpful, mean, unapproachable ... If anyone has or is currently doing their PGCE at UCL, could you please share any experiences or advice that you you think would be useful. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Congrats! I accepted my offer for PGCE Primary at UCL as well. I have only found a few youtube videos so far on what a PGCE is like. I found the same thing that people have spoke about it more in a negative way rather than positive. UCL has a great reputation and is considered the best of the best for PGCE so hopefully it will be fine.
Congratulations b! I've got my ucl interview coming up next month and I'm so nervous about it ! How did yours go? What kind of things did you have to do? xx
Reply 3
The PGCE at the IoE was great in terms of the academic side and subject knowledge of subject tutors and the critical skills they equip you with at the end of the day. The problem I've seen is with the schools that they send students to and the expectations on trainees. The level of support varies from school to school. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do if you get sent to a school with an unsupportive class teacher/mentor. My advice is to raise any concerns you have about the school straight away otherwise you will end up having a really bad placement. It's a sad world out there and you will meet teachers who may not want to mentor you and it will feel as if they are against you from day one; if you feel this is the case please speak up before it is too late. Like it or not there's always going to be favoritism in the workplace, even in schools and if you just don't fit in with their vibes they may work against you. If your CT/mentor does not share information or uses you as cover staff again speak up and ask your university mentor on what to do.

No two placements are the same and you may be lucky to have two great placements or one great placement and one bad. If you feel anything is wrong just speak up and don't let things get to the stage where you are left vulnerable.

Original post by username3806630
Hey everyone,

I have applied for Primary PGCE at UCL and have accepted an offer. After watching YouTube videos and hearing from friends experiences, I am really nervous about starting my PGCE in September 2019. I've always wanted to be a primary school teacher and have never been as nervous as I am now to start. What worries me the most is that people have said that their mentors have been unhelpful, mean, unapproachable ... If anyone has or is currently doing their PGCE at UCL, could you please share any experiences or advice that you you think would be useful. Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Hi, I am starting my PGCE this year, I was just wondering how you found your PGCE at UCL this year? Thank you
Reply 5
What questions did they ask in the interview ? Any subject knowledge questions ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending