John Ali
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello dears
I've applied for Cyber Security at BCU and Aston, but honestly I'm not quite sure which one to go for, I can get into Aston really easy but the truth is they don't have history in Teaching Cyber Security either at Masters or BCs whereas BCU have taught Cyber Security in Masters but some of the students saying BCU isn't good to study Cyber Security or any other subjects. I found out that it's a new course that both Unis running this year.

I've also checked top 10 Universities for Cyber Security and the modules they taught are similar to BCU whereas Aston is completely different.
Guys, does the modules really matter??
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by John Ali)
Hello dears
I've applied for Cyber Security at BCU and Aston, but honestly I'm not quite sure which one to go for, I can get into Aston really easy but the truth is they don't have history in Teaching Cyber Security either at Masters or BCs whereas BCU have taught Cyber Security in Masters but some of the students saying BCU isn't good to study Cyber Security or any other subjects. I found out that it's a new course that both Unis running this year.

I've also checked top 10 Universities for Cyber Security and the modules they taught are similar to BCU whereas Aston is completely different.
Guys, does the modules really matter??
I would say Aston is the better university overall, however their Cyber course is new this year I believe?

If you can, I'd suggest going for one of the 3 GCHQ/National Cyber Security Centre certified Cyber degrees - Warwick for BSc Cyber Security, Royal Holloway for BSc Computer Science (Information Security) or Edinburgh Napier for BEng Cyber Security and Forensics, these will be far better.
Birmingham City University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dear John, yt7777,

Hope I can help – but do note I am naturally biased I am a lecturer at Birmingham City University, precisely on Cyber Security.

BCU approaches this course from a technical, hands-on and employability perspective. This also includes something we call Cyber Security Governance which is how to manage cyber security in organisations.

BCU has been teaching cyber security for many years. We have staff teaching and researching on lots of different angles of cyber security – for example - online privacy, secure networking, digital forensics, automotive security, Internet-of-Things, etc. Then, BCU has been offering degrees in cyber security for many years. Our students did projects such as mobile privacy, ethical hacking, car hacking, manufacturing security, security monitoring, secure payments, internet-of-things, blockchains, biometrics, etc.

On top of that, BCU has excellent installations, very friendly staff and lots of extra events happening all the time. I also, personally, like to get students involved in real-world projects during their degree. Just now I have 4 students working with start-ups on cyber security. When they graduate in a few months, they will already have true professional experience. BCU employability is sky-high because of all this.

About the certification from GCHQ/NCSC – that’s a very good point. The BCU degree is aligned with it and our application is being reviewed by GCHQ.

Especially for John—

It’s good to see you are researching which degree to take. When it was my time, I just could not make up my mind. Ultimately it was a conversation I had, by accident, with someone at the University that made my mind.

Do you have any further questions?

Thank you
Vitor Jesus - Lecturer at Birmingham City University
Last edited by Birmingham City University; 1 year ago
GemPT
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Vítor Jesus are you Portuguese by any chance? We visited BCU yesterday from Portugal and found the facilities absolutely mind blowing, but we are concerned about all the negative reviews online. Why do so many students say BCU doesn’t care about them? Is it more a case that they aren’t putting in the effort themselves? Everyone we met yesterday was so lovely.
M_R_S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dear readers, as with all reviews, a small minority makes more noise than the satisfied students. Whilst we will do our very best to facilitate as much as possible - it will never be enough for some. As one of the main contributor and to Networking, Cloud, Security and project modules at BCU, I encourage you to look at the HESA website at:https://www.hesa.ac.uk/news/05-07-20...vers-tablesand other data around student satisfaction and employability, the same teachers will be teaching the new BSc Cyber Security course.Good luck Mak.
StudentLife19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In relation to NCSC certified courses, from 7 months ago to now has BCU MsC in Cyber security been approved or is there an expected date to receive approval or disapproval
Kiren2468*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Birmingham City University)
Dear John, yt7777,

Hope I can help – but do note I am naturally biased I am a lecturer at Birmingham City University, precisely on Cyber Security.

BCU approaches this course from a technical, hands-on and employability perspective. This also includes something we call Cyber Security Governance which is how to manage cyber security in organisations.

BCU has been teaching cyber security for many years. We have staff teaching and researching on lots of different angles of cyber security – for example - online privacy, secure networking, digital forensics, automotive security, Internet-of-Things, etc. Then, BCU has been offering degrees in cyber security for many years. Our students did projects such as mobile privacy, ethical hacking, car hacking, manufacturing security, security monitoring, secure payments, internet-of-things, blockchains, biometrics, etc.

On top of that, BCU has excellent installations, very friendly staff and lots of extra events happening all the time. I also, personally, like to get students involved in real-world projects during their degree. Just now I have 4 students working with start-ups on cyber security. When they graduate in a few months, they will already have true professional experience. BCU employability is sky-high because of all this.

About the certification from GCHQ/NCSC – that’s a very good point. The BCU degree is aligned with it and our application is being reviewed by GCHQ.

Especially for John—

It’s good to see you are researching which degree to take. When it was my time, I just could not make up my mind. Ultimately it was a conversation I had, by accident, with someone at the University that made my mind.

Do you have any further questions?

Thank you
Vitor Jesus - Lecturer at Birmingham City University
Has Birmingham City University been reviewed and approved by the GCHQ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (56)
18.12%
No one else does (98)
31.72%
I'm embarrassed about my background (33)
10.68%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (103)
33.33%
We don't use a video platform (6)
1.94%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
1.94%

Watched Threads