Masters at UoT - Manchester or Durham for BA? Watch

Bebro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So, I'm either going to firm University of Manchester or Durham for my English BA - I've visited Manchester 3 times and absolutely loved it, and am going to Durham next week (really didn't think I'd get in so didn't bother going to an open day beforehand).

I've recently decided that I REALLY want to go to University of Toronto to do a masters after my degree. However, I know that it's really hard to get in and I'd need to work super super hard.

My worry is that if I decide not to go to Durham, I'll lessen my chances of getting into UoT later on. I'm debating going there for my semester abroad in second year if I decide to go to Manchester, but I'm concerned that a first from Durham would look wayyy better than one from Manchester.

(obviously I am not resting the whole decision on this - but it does play a role and I can't find any information online about whether all firsts are the same or whether a first from Durham would give me a much better chance)

So, would there be a big difference between getting a first from Durham or Manchester? Would going to UoT for a semester at Manchester level this out?

Thanks for any replies
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
University of Toronto is very competitive and hard to get into.
Peterwv_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Durham has a better reputation within the UK while Manchester's global reputation is greater (partly due to football, partly due to its higher research output). This means Manchester would, in most cases, look better if you apply for post-grad or jobs outside the UK. Conversely, Durham would have the edge if you're planning to return to the UK.

In practice, however, I doubt it will make that much of a difference. They'll give you an equal chance of getting into UofT. A semester at their campus always helps.
Last edited by Peterwv_; 3 weeks ago
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The University of Toronto will not care where you have done your undergraduate. They will care about your transcript i.e. your grades, what you have accomplished in the way of contributions to your subject, and how you present yourself as a person. In other words, they care about what you will bring to the course they run there. It honestly will not matter where you have gone.
Pick the university where you think you will be happiest and where you will get the best education and concentrate on doing well while you’re there. A lot can change in three years and I don’t see much point in planning now for a master’s you may not even still want to take in three years.
To be honest it sounds like the university you really want to go to is the University of Toronto. So why not just apply there for undergraduate?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
For postgrad and law school, University of Toronto does give preference to its students.

Source: am student
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
arunningcat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Manchester is better (especially in my subject physics) and with the amount of money they are pumping into the university its going to be one of the best in the world. Also there is far more going on here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads