I need help with veterinary experience!! Watch

Xxtylerxx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
For the past 5 months I've been really struggling to get experience in a veterinary practice and I really don't know what I should do. I need it to get into York askham Bryan college to study veterinary nursing but I'm honestly worried I won't be able to get there so I'm honestly on my last legs with this entire thing. I really, really need some help if anyone could give any suggestions.
gillian1986
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Are you just struggling to find somewhere to take you on or is it that they can't/won't give you the amount of experience needed to meet the course entry requirements? I am looking to apply for vet nursing next year and will need 4 weeks work experience which concerns me as I don't know if many vets will commit to that.
Xxtylerxx
Rep:
?
Struggling to find places that will take me as some say I should go for bigger practices and then the bigger practices say I should try at smaller ones. It's just a mess
(Original post by gillian1986)
Are you just struggling to find somewhere to take you on or is it that they can't/won't give you the amount of experience needed to meet the course entry requirements? I am looking to apply for vet nursing next year and will need 4 weeks work experience which concerns me as I don't know if many vets will commit to that.
gillian1986
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Oh no I could see that would be frustrating, just keep trying someone will eventually say yes, I take it your wanting to apply this year?
(Original post by Xxtylerxx)
Struggling to find places that will take me as some say I should go for bigger practices and then the bigger practices say I should try at smaller ones. It's just a mess
Xxtylerxx
Rep:
?
Yeah and if I don't get the experience I wont be accepted so it's a bummer.
Oh no I could see that would be frustrating, just keep trying someone will eventually say yes, I take it your wanting to apply this year?
PinkTabbyKitten
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Where abouts in the country are you? And what are you looking for - veterinary placements or is animal husbandry accepted too?

(I'm a veterinary assistant with 6years experience and a veterinary medicine offer for 2020 entry)
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Maybe get some experience on a farm or something?
Xxtylerxx
Rep:
?
West Yorkshire (Leeds more specifically) and it has to be veterinary experience in a vet practice so it's become very challenging to find places to go. If it was just animal care or in other establishments I would of been fine as I've worked with animals most of my life.
(Original post by PinkTabbyKitten)
Where abouts in the country are you? And what are you looking for - veterinary placements or is animal husbandry accepted too?

(I'm a veterinary assistant with 6years experience and a veterinary medicine offer for 2020 entry)
gillian1986
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yeah and if I don't get the experience I wont be accepted so it's a bummer.
Yes they also told me the same and along with that I need to gain a functional skills level 2 in maths hence why I'm only applying next year.
Xxtylerxx
Rep:
?
Think that's what I'm gonna have to do which is pretty annoying.
Yes they also told me the same and along with that I need to gain a functional skills level 2 in maths hence why I'm only applying next year.
PinkTabbyKitten
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Check out this link

https://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-...ary-navigation

It will show all the local practices to you. If you can I advise going in with a letter and cv, chat to someone and explain what you are after. Otherwise email or ring all the practices you can possibly get to. (Its much easier to ignore or delete an email or a posted letter though), going in shows that you really are committed and you aren't just applying because you have to!

Most practices will offer 1-2 weeks and usually you will be ok having 2 separate 2 weeks placements - you don't need to try and get all 4 weeks in one place!

Hope it helps
West Yorkshire (Leeds more specifically) and it has to be veterinary experience in a vet practice so it's become very challenging to find places to go. If it was just animal care or in other establishments I would of been fine as I've worked with animals most of my life.
Xxtylerxx
Rep:
?
Thank you
(Original post by PinkTabbyKitten)
Check out this link

https://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-...ary-navigation

It will show all the local practices to you. If you can I advise going in with a letter and cv, chat to someone and explain what you are after. Otherwise email or ring all the practices you can possibly get to. (Its much easier to ignore or delete an email or a posted letter though), going in shows that you really are committed and you aren't just applying because you have to!

Most practices will offer 1-2 weeks and usually you will be ok having 2 separate 2 weeks placements - you don't need to try and get all 4 weeks in one place!

Hope it helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?