Eleanorrrrrrrr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I really hope someone can help me. I am studying law and criminology and one of my modules is sociology. I am currently doing an essay where I have to "Compare and contrast how different sorts of homes and housing can influence peoples lives and contribute to inequalities in the UK"

I am really stuck on this because I don't really know what to talk about nor where to start, please someone help!
LpoolLawStudent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Eleanorrrrrrrr)
Hi, I really hope someone can help me. I am studying law and criminology and one of my modules is sociology. I am currently doing an essay where I have to "Compare and contrast how different sorts of homes and housing can influence peoples lives and contribute to inequalities in the UK"

I am really stuck on this because I don't really know what to talk about nor where to start, please someone help!
Have you found no journal articles on this? Because I'm sure there is literally thousands...
10yearslate
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
'Influence their lives' is broad af. You could talk about how class and housing affects education (cultural capital, material deprivation etc), Or crime, have a look on the .Gov website for statistics on arrests/stop and search. You should be able to get an idea of which areas have higher arrest rates and then you can discuss why (spoiler warning- poor areas and institutional racism). You could discuss working class sub-culture and how where people grow up can perpetuate it. Labelling theory and how it can affect certain groups based on their background (think people living in council estates being labelled as benefit cheats for example)

That's just a few ideas off the top of my head.

This website has some good fact sheets on social inequality and stratification: http://sociology.org.uk/n_inequality.htm

Good luck on your essay!
Last edited by 10yearslate; 1 year ago
Eleanorrrrrrrr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
EXACTLY. When something is so broad I overthink and make it harder for myself haha.
10yearslate
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know what you mean. The brief for my last Lit assignment was 'Evaluate the treatment of (theme of your choice) in (at least 3 poems of your choice)'.

I spent so long doing background reading in an effort to stir some inspiration. By the time I had actually started doing a proper plan/writing, I only had a day left to finish it. In the end I had to beg for a day long extension to get it done, freedom can be suffocating.

The funny thing is, that once I had actually started writing it ended up taking about as long as any other essay I've written. Once I'd gotten a couple of paragraphs down, I got into a rhythm and the rest of the essay seemed a lot less daunting. When you can't decide what to include in an essay, sometimes the best thing is to just write a couple of paragraphs without worrying about how you're going to follow on from them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (165)
25%
Better than expected (133)
20.15%
Worse than expected (362)
54.85%

Watched Threads