Interview questions about bending the rules

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
have an interview soon and one of the common questions that the company asks is 'tell me about a time when you had to bend the rules in order to get the job done'...

I have had so much career history - from working on cruise ships, to cabin crew and being a holiday representative. However, I can't think of an exact time that I did this, even though it's probably something that is done a lot in anyones job in some situation. I've literally been racking my brains for an answer for myself so I can be prepared for it and can answer it well. I have completed all my other prep but I am soooooo stuck on this question.

How can i answer this question?

I'm hoping someone can help

Thanks xoxxoxoxoxox
TensorFlow
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Never admit that you ever, ever done anything like that.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Potentially a trick question, beware. Think of some situation no brainier where you got your boss' agreement to be flexible to ensure a customer was extra satisfied.
RVNmax
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
have an interview soon and one of the common questions that the company asks is 'tell me about a time when you had to bend the rules in order to get the job done'...

I have had so much career history - from working on cruise ships, to cabin crew and being a holiday representative. However, I can't think of an exact time that I did this, even though it's probably something that is done a lot in anyones job in some situation. I've literally been racking my brains for an answer for myself so I can be prepared for it and can answer it well. I have completed all my other prep but I am soooooo stuck on this question.

Thanks xoxxoxoxoxox
What type of role is this?
(Original post by Zarek)
Potentially a trick question, beware. Think of some situation no brainier where you got your boss' agreement to be flexible to ensure a customer was extra satisfied.
I agree that a balanced response to this question would be one where you 'bent' the rules only after getting authority from the rule-maker because you wanted to go the extra mile for a customer or prevent immediate danger to them. Maybe add what you learnt, e.g. you now expect the situation in advance and changed the rules or prepared in some other way.
If by chance you mention an example where you did something terrible, then the rule for any interview is to say that you learnt from it and would never do it again.
username2323859
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
These answers never help me lol, on no planet am I ever going to talk that formal, and it's way too much to say and remember lol.
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The way I approach this, using a purchasing example is. I once had to introduce a part to be introduced into a car but for various reasons I couldn't introduce it on time with the normal process. So I had to create a concession (a process used that isn't normal protocol) for the part by supplying quality information from the supplier that the risk of the part failing in quality + cost is low enough to be introduced without our own 6 month checks. I gave this concession for approval from all the directors, explained it and provided all the evidence they needed to sign off that they understand the risk and they're going with it. (This example may sound like a lot of rubbish)

Anyway the point I'm trying to get across is I don't bend the rules but I had to think outside of the box to make sure the part was introduced on time, so I used a non-protocol process that is acceptable and got all the directors to sign off on it. (I agree it's likely a trick question so this is kind of a trick to trick the interviewer, it shows initiative, and making use of rules you normally don't use)
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Thanks xoxxoxoxoxox
What sort of job and what sort of organisation? It sounds like a trap to me. If you admin to breaking rules (with any pride at all in having done so) you are in trouble, but you need to show some focus on getting the job done.
swelshie
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I'd agree this sounds like a potential trap question. I work in producing medical devices with potentially disastrous consequences if procedure isn't followed to the letter. So an answer would need to be something positive like someone already said bending company rules to meet a customer request.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
If you can't think of a real example, then there are two things to say:

1) You've not been in a situation where you thought it was needed (nothing wrong with being straight and honest)

2) If you ever felt like it would be useful, necessary or a good idea for some reason, then you'd first suggest the idea to your manager or supervisor and ask for their thoughts and feedback, and to get their permission and support for doing it so that you wouldn't be doing something 'wrong' or underhanded.
QG94
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
You always want to give a great example of bending the rules because it tells your potential employer that you will follow rules while being peer pressured. You never want to tell them that you have never bend the rules because that answer is a simple answer everyone can give. They already know you should never admit to bending the rules. It's just a great way for the potential employer to get to know you. Give a great explanation of how you would handle the situation if it ever occurs.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (29)
9.76%
Okay (89)
29.97%
A bit lacking (107)
36.03%
Not good at all (72)
24.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed