The Student Room Group

I have bulimic thoughts but I don't act upon them

When I eat junk food I feel really full and like a fat person cus I can't exercise for a while and I feel like making myself sick sometimes but I don't wanna get bulimia so I just sit down on my sofa like a fatty

If I throw up im likely to lose my abs right and my body will eat my muscle won't it? My ex is bulimic sometimes to stay skinny so I got the idea of her but of course I don't wanna get skinny just lose body fat and maintain my abs

How can I get rid of these thoughts and why am I having them?

Scroll to see replies

Speak to a Doctor.
Reply 2
I think its completely normal to have this feeling of being full and it happens to the best of us when we know we have eaten way too much and cannot move. Before this becomes an issue for you, you need to ask yourself why you eat to the extent you do and are you able to stop eating before you get to the point you can no longer move, especially as you know this causes you to have such thoughts about being sick. It sounds like exercising is a big aspect of your life, so the guilt of not being able to exercise as a result of you eating all this food is what is making you feel guilty and the only way you probably know how to deal with this is to potentially throw the food back up (because you know of someone who has done this).

Im not sure If you eat too much in terms of snacking or just at meal times? But definitely try controlling portions and only cooking as much food as you know you can eat before reaching this point!
Reply 3
Original post by chay15
I think its completely normal to have this feeling of being full and it happens to the best of us when we know we have eaten way too much and cannot move. Before this becomes an issue for you, you need to ask yourself why you eat to the extent you do and are you able to stop eating before you get to the point you can no longer move, especially as you know this causes you to have such thoughts about being sick. It sounds like exercising is a big aspect of your life, so the guilt of not being able to exercise as a result of you eating all this food is what is making you feel guilty and the only way you probably know how to deal with this is to potentially throw the food back up (because you know of someone who has done this).

Im not sure If you eat too much in terms of snacking or just at meal times? But definitely try controlling portions and only cooking as much food as you know you can eat before reaching this point!

Yeah daily exercise is very important for me
I just try to reach my macro goals so rn I'm going for 160g of protein so I eat a lot of meat for example for my tea last night I ate a half pounder, two pieces of chicken and a few chips but I don't normally eat fast food just once or twice a week as it makes me feel like this. Two nights ago I ate a whole hunters chicken which was meant to be for two people and I was full after that and worrying about the far content in it I was due to do a 2k run three hours after but I couldn't do the run as I was still full perhaps I ate too much

I don't snack a lot I tend to have three egs between lunch and tea, a packet of space raiders and some shandy or a protein bar and protein shake
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah daily exercise is very important for me
I just try to reach my macro goals so rn I'm going for 160g of protein so I eat a lot of meat for example for my tea last night I ate a half pounder, two pieces of chicken and a few chips but I don't normally eat fast food just once or twice a week as it makes me feel like this. Two nights ago I ate a whole hunters chicken which was meant to be for two people and I was full after that and worrying about the far content in it I was due to do a 2k run three hours after but I couldn't do the run as I was still full perhaps I ate too much

I don't snack a lot I tend to have three egs between lunch and tea, a packet of space raiders and some shandy or a protein bar and protein shake

Maybe you should see if there are ways to reach your macro goals without the consumption of so much food which in turn makes you feel very full and lethargic.

For example having an extra shake, that may replace the meal before you exercise as 160g in protein is a lot.

I would also plan your meals for the week beforehand and not eating as you go as this could add to your problem and this way you can find the foods to maximise your macros so your not consuming so much. As well as considering snacking on lighter foods such as (Nuts - as these are full of protein)
When I eat junk food I feel really full and like a fat person cus I can't exercise for a while and I feel like making myself sick sometimes but I don't wanna get bulimia so I just sit down on my sofa like a fatty

If I throw up im likely to lose my abs right and my body will eat my muscle won't it? My ex is bulimic sometimes to stay skinny so I got the idea of her but of course I don't wanna get skinny just lose body fat and maintain my abs

How can I get rid of these thoughts and why am I having them?

The highlighted statement is incredibly insulting to someone with an actual eating disorder and shows just how little you understand about eating disorders.

Eating too much junk food is not an eating disorder. You want to make yourself sick probably because you are eating too much (eating a whole chicken by yourself, seriously?!). If you want to lose body fat, cut down on your junk food intake and reduce your portion sizes, and keep going with the exercise. You are not bulimic.
Reply 6
The highlighted statement is incredibly insulting to someone with an actual eating disorder and shows just how little you understand about eating disorders.

Eating too much junk food is not an eating disorder. You want to make yourself sick probably because you are eating too much (eating a whole chicken by yourself, seriously?!). If you want to lose body fat, cut down on your junk food intake and reduce your portion sizes, and keep going with the exercise. You are not bulimic.

How's It insulting? Bulimics make themselves sick to stay skinny right? Isn't that a fact? At least my ex does and she's pretty skinny and looks great tbf

Yeah it's when I eat so much that I'm so full that I physically feel sick and yeah a whole chicken is a good amount of protein for me as to maintain my abs and the rest of physique I need adequate amounts of protein
Yeah perhaps I should cut down on junk food too once every two weeks maybe as it makes me have these thoughts of being bulimic and up my cardio and weight training
How's It insulting? Bulimics make themselves sick to stay skinny right? Isn't that a fact? At least my ex does and she's pretty skinny and looks great tbf

No, bulimia is not about being sick to stay skinny. Not all bulimics make themselves sick, and the vast majority are not underweight.
Reply 8
No, bulimia is not about being sick to stay skinny. Not all bulimics make themselves sick, and the vast majority are not underweight.

Is that cus the body is still consuming the fats and calories?
Is that cus the body is still consuming the fats and calories?

Vomiting is not a very efficient way of getting rid of calories for most people. It also screws up you gastrointestinal motility and makes your body absorb more.
Vomiting is not a very efficient way of getting rid of calories for most people. It also screws up you gastrointestinal motility and makes your body absorb more.

Ah so more cons than pros? I guess I just need to get rid of these thoughts and eat more healthier
Ah so more cons than pros? I guess I just need to get rid of these thoughts and eat more healthier

There are no pros to making yourself throw up.
Original post by chay15
Maybe you should see if there are ways to reach your macro goals without the consumption of so much food which in turn makes you feel very full and lethargic.

For example having an extra shake, that may replace the meal before you exercise as 160g in protein is a lot.

I would also plan your meals for the week beforehand and not eating as you go as this could add to your problem and this way you can find the foods to maximise your macros so your not consuming so much. As well as considering snacking on lighter foods such as (Nuts - as these are full of protein)

Yeah protein shake is always a good choice and I could have two portions so 70g protein before I go for my runs, gym, swimming or boxing training and then 6 eggs and a protein bar when I get back.

Eggs, nuts and fruits are good I think so I'll increase my fruit and nut intake but I won't over do it on snacks and meats as well perhaps

I will make a weekly meal plan and stick to it
I understand exactly what you are saying.
I have recently lost 6 stone in weight and I worked very hard on my diet to do that.
I’ve noticed that some junk is creeping back in because it’s normal to have a treat every now and then but I’m so scared of putting on weight that a treat makes me feel so bad. I often think that it’s ne easy to eat it and then throw up.
Scary stuff. Haven’t done it though
I understand exactly what you are saying.
I have recently lost 6 stone in weight and I worked very hard on my diet to do that.
I’ve noticed that some junk is creeping back in because it’s normal to have a treat every now and then but I’m so scared of putting on weight that a treat makes me feel so bad. I often think that it’s ne easy to eat it and then throw up.
Scary stuff. Haven’t done it though

That's amazing keep it up I'm now 6'4 and 188 pounds which is like 13 stone 6 pounds and I used to be 14 stone 6 pounds but now I'm quite shredded and I didn't have abs before so the diet and exercise increase is doing me good.

I feel your pain I'm scared of gaining body fat tbh 😔 ikr it's scary like we shouldn't be thinking that
I’m female, 5’7” and now weigh 137lbs.
I can’t exercise due to disability so I’m at a disadvantage there. My tdee is obviously quite low so a small treat is s big deal calorie wise!!
Every day is another day though so try not to feel bad.
Good luck
That's amazing keep it up I'm now 6'4 and 188 pounds which is like 13 stone 6 pounds and I used to be 14 stone 6 pounds but now I'm quite shredded and I didn't have abs before so the diet and exercise increase is doing me good.

I feel your pain I'm scared of gaining body fat tbh 😔 ikr it's scary like we shouldn't be thinking that
I’m female, 5’7” and now weigh 137lbs.
I can’t exercise due to disability so I’m at a disadvantage there. My tdee is obviously quite low so a small treat is s big deal calorie wise!!
Every day is another day though so try not to feel bad.
Good luck

You're acc pretty slim tbh I bet you look good!
Ah sorry to hear that I'm sure diet and nutrition can keep you slim and healthy
I see my main treats are space raiders and a can of shandy or a couple beers (this is like every two weeks) or a high protein takeaway meal but now I'm gonna reduce the takeaways to once every two weeks as they make me have these bad bulimic thoughts

How many calories are you consuming a day?
Yeah each day is a new day so if one day is bad the next day can be better
My tdee is only 1530. Which is why a treat is a big deal, as well as the guilt! Tempted by the biscuits I’m afraid. I still try to avoid bread, potatoes rice and pasta but eat carbs from veggies so not Keto.
When it comes to crisps I go for Aldi’s own versions of snacks like French fries wotsits etc. Still get the crispy satisfaction but less than 70 calories a bag.
I’m feeling bad today because I went out for afternoon tea with mum yesterday so bread and cakes were involved. Ate my 1500 in one go!
You're acc pretty slim tbh I bet you look good!
Ah sorry to hear that I'm sure diet and nutrition can keep you slim and healthy
I see my main treats are space raiders and a can of shandy or a couple beers (this is like every two weeks) or a high protein takeaway meal but now I'm gonna reduce the takeaways to once every two weeks as they make me have these bad bulimic thoughts

How many calories are you consuming a day?
Yeah each day is a new day so if one day is bad the next day can be better
My tdee is only 1530. Which is why a treat is a big deal, as well as the guilt! Tempted by the biscuits I’m afraid. I still try to avoid bread, potatoes rice and pasta but eat carbs from veggies so not Keto.
When it comes to crisps I go for Aldi’s own versions of snacks like French fries wotsits etc. Still get the crispy satisfaction but less than 70 calories a bag.
I’m feeling bad today because I went out for afternoon tea with mum yesterday so bread and cakes were involved. Ate my 1500 in one go!

Nice mine is 2300 i do like a custard cream tbh noy had one in ages

Oh really? That's great I'll have to check out aldi! Oh no ik that feeling! Like you wish you hadn't done it right? 😔😞🙁 Did you have a good time otherwise or did it spoil the occasion?

Are you planning on eating less than 1500 today or are you just gonna eat a healthier 1500 cals?
It didn’t spoil it st the time but it does today.
I’ll have a “fast” day today. A homemade vegetable soup for lunch and dinner will be a base of tinned tomatoes with peppers onions mushrooms and green beans with spices. So it may be curry or Italian, not sure. With cauliflower rice.
I try to monitor calories weekly not daily as it minimises stress so 10500 per week
Nice mine is 2300 i do like a custard cream tbh noy had one in ages

Oh really? That's great I'll have to check out aldi! Oh no ik that feeling! Like you wish you hadn't done it right? 😔😞🙁 Did you have a good time otherwise or did it spoil the occasion?

Are you planning on eating less than 1500 today or are you just gonna eat a healthier 1500 cals?

Quick Reply

Latest