The Student Room Group

Elastic Springs and string Edexcel FM1

I don't understand the mark scheme to this elastic springs question

I have attached my working the mark scheme and the original question.

Thanks
Original post by thotproduct2
I don't understand the mark scheme to this elastic springs question

I have attached my working the mark scheme and the original question.

Thanks

You have a small typo in your working - should be l2x2l^2-x^2 in the brackets on the left.

I suspect that the markscheme assigned x on the other side of the eqilibrium position, treating it as an extension rather than a compression.

Your equation will work and gives x=l/2 as one answer, and hence distance moved is 3l/2.
Original post by ghostwalker
You have a small typo in your working - should be l2x2l^2-x^2 in the brackets on the left.

I suspect that the markscheme assigned x on the other side of the eqilibrium position, treating it as an extension rather than a compression.

Your equation will work and gives x=l/2 as one answer, and hence distance moved is 3l/2.

Thank you!!
Thank you!!

Original post by ghostwalker

Can an extension situation actually be used in a question like this surely you wouldnt get the 3l/2?
Can an extension situation actually be used in a question like this surely you wouldnt get the 3l/2?

It can be used and it does work. With the markscheme we get x= -l/2, and so total distance is

l - (-l/2) = 3l/2, as required.

Quick Reply

Latest