pinkbacon1437
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
How big is the gap between GCSE and AS level physics? I’m getting 9s in my mocks however there are somethings I don’t fully understand and have never felt confident like I do in chemistry and biology. I’d like to take it as I’d like a career in science so I’m sure the knowledge would help me a lot. I’m doing chem bio and maths as well.
liamlarner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
at a level physics you learn about a lot more complex physics like mechanics, materials, electricity, waves, quantum physics, further mechanics, fields, thermal physics, nuclear and particle physics, and other hard stuff you won't off come across at GCSE like golden leaf and the photoelectric effect
pinkbacon1437
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by liamlarner)
at a level physics you learn about a lot more complex physics like mechanics, materials, electricity, waves, quantum physics, further mechanics, fields, thermal physics, nuclear and particle physics, and other hard stuff you won't off come across at GCSE like golden leaf and the photoelectric effect
Is this all in AS (year 12) or the entire A level course?
And how are you finding it?
Physicsqueen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The gap is less now than it was due to the new GCSE's as the new GCSE is harder. There is still a difference as there is a lot more independent work at As (eg finishing questions you didn't finish in class) If you really enjoy physics don't let the gap put you off. I personally find As physics better than the GCSE as you go into more detail in each concept, quantum physics is especially awesome as it's new to anything you would have studied at GCSE (quantum is my favourite topic at yr12) Also you don't have to memorise as many equations as you have to at GCSE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (273)
60.94%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.91%