The Student Room Group

Stalked his social media and he found out. Is this really a big deal?

I admit. What I did was stupid, and dumb. I shouldn't have done it. But hear me out.

Basically I saw this guy a few years ago at an event, and yeah he's attractive. So after that I found his social media. I found his Twitter and it was public so I would stalk it on the occasion and check his tweets etc. I followed him a few times by mistake and I think he found out because my Twitter was also public.

Anyway on his Twitter he had his Instagram linked so my friend has a meme account and I asked her to add his private Instagram account through it. He accepted and followed back. We never liked his pictures, or messaged or anything like that.

After a few months I realised I'm being quite sad so I blocked and unblocked him.from my friends account so that he wasn't following and her account wasn't either.

Now we see each other in town (me and this guy) and my friends with me. And he's giving me dirty looks but when he turns to see her he looks away in anger and is fuming. Like I've never spoken to this guy but he's so angry, I don't think I've ever seen anyone that angry that's practically a stranger.

I know his cousin (I don't know him that well but I see him sometimes) and he's giving me dirty looks when he sees me now as well. BTW my friend also admitted to me that she resent a request on her meme account a month before we saw him but he declined it. And I had no idea so basically I look like I took him off and then stupidly added him on.

Guys, be honest with me. Is this really a big deal? Am I missing something? I just don't understand why I'm vejnf treated like I've done something disgusting.
Original post by Anonymous
I admit. What I did was stupid, and dumb. I shouldn't have done it. But hear me out.

Basically I saw this guy a few years ago at an event, and yeah he's attractive. So after that I found his social media. I found his Twitter and it was public so I would stalk it on the occasion and check his tweets etc. I followed him a few times by mistake and I think he found out because my Twitter was also public.

Anyway on his Twitter he had his Instagram linked so my friend has a meme account and I asked her to add his private Instagram account through it. He accepted and followed back. We never liked his pictures, or messaged or anything like that.

After a few months I realised I'm being quite sad so I blocked and unblocked him.from my friends account so that he wasn't following and her account wasn't either.

Now we see each other in town (me and this guy) and my friends with me. And he's giving me dirty looks but when he turns to see her he looks away in anger and is fuming. Like I've never spoken to this guy but he's so angry, I don't think I've ever seen anyone that angry that's practically a stranger.

I know his cousin (I don't know him that well but I see him sometimes) and he's giving me dirty looks when he sees me now as well. BTW my friend also admitted to me that she resent a request on her meme account a month before we saw him but he declined it. And I had no idea so basically I look like I took him off and then stupidly added him on.

Guys, be honest with me. Is this really a big deal? Am I missing something? I just don't understand why I'm vejnf treated like I've done something disgusting.

Sounds like you need to grow up.

I don't think this situation is worth a post or losing any sleep over it.

It's a lesson you've learned: don't stalk people on social media and don't play silly mind games and using your friend's account to add someone on social media (like, really?)

Ignore the supposed dirty looks and carry on with your day. Case closed.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Sounds like you need to grow up.

I don't think this situation is worth a post or losing any sleep over it.

It's a lesson you've learned: don't stalk people on social media and don't play silly mind games and using your friend's account to add someone on social media (like, really?)

Ignore the supposed dirty looks and carry on with your day. Case closed.

How is that playing mind games? I literally had no contact on his account what do ever except the follow. And he doesn't know the majority of people he has on Insta including my friend. I don't understand how this is mind games. But alright
Original post by anniisa97
How is that playing mind games? I literally had no contact on his account what do ever except the follow. And he doesn't know the majority of people he has on Insta including my friend. I don't understand how this is mind games. But alright

Mind games consists of the using your friend to add that person, then your friend blocks him, unblocks him, sends him a request... That is playing mind games, directly - no, but indirectly as she was acting on your behalf. If that's not mind games, I don't know what is. Clearly you had no tactics as to why you decided all this to happen, which is by definition mind games. Or mind-game-playing behaviour.
how does he know that it was you?
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Mind games consists of the using your friend to add that person, then your friend blocks him, unblocks him, sends him a request... That is playing mind games, directly - no, but indirectly as she was acting on your behalf. If that's not mind games, I don't know what is. Clearly you had no tactics as to why you decided all this to happen, which is by definition mind games. Or mind-game-playing behaviour.

can you read? Lol I blocked and unblocked him because I no longer wanted to follow him. it felt stupid. I had the password to her account. Most of her friends did as it's not her private account just a meme account.

This was months before he realised. about 4 or 5 months. And when we saw him in town she told me she sent a request again a month before. I didn't know about this. she knew I didn't want that. it wasn't mind games.
Original post by anniisa97
can you read? Lol I blocked and unblocked him because I no longer wanted to follow him. it felt stupid. I had the password to her account. Most of her friends did as it's not her private account just a meme account.

This was months before he realised. about 4 or 5 months. And when we saw him in town she told me she sent a request again a month before. I didn't know about this. she knew I didn't want that. it wasn't mind games.

Immature on both accounts then.

Point is, move on and stop adding random people to stalk on social media. I'm sure you have better things to do with your time!
Original post by cherlloydfan
how does he know that it was you?

because I saw him before hand at the event. And I did some light flirting and so did he. But he basically never actually got to talk because he never got the chance. It doesn't matter anymore but yeah

So if he sees us in town and some account took him off and then added him again and he sees someone he's familiar with next to that girl he's gonna assume it was me. Especially when he knew I was attracted to him. Also he could know about Twitter. I'm not 100 percent sure though
I wouldn't say it's that much of a big deal at all, just forget about it. The guy is probably just a little weirded out if he doesn't actually know you.

I wouldn’t take any notice of the so called mind games comment. I don’t think that was your intention at all. Also this guy has a public twitter & instagram, people do that because they wan to be followed.
The reason he may have been a bit off with you is just because he saw at one stage your friends account had blocked him. People can take that personally. And you would have been better off just unfollowing him and then leaving it. If you really like this guy and it bothers you, maybe build up the courage to message him off your twitter and just explain you were too shy to message him/add him yourself so you used your friends. And maybe apologise for blocking him.

I’d say the majority of people male and female have stalked a crushes or exs social media profile at some stage. It’s not the worst thing in the world. I’d understand if you went as far as to search his social media to try find his address and then stake outside his house... but you haven’t so it’s not that deep. As i said he makes these profiles so people can follow him so don’t beat yourself up about it. And if he’s acting like that because of it... he’s not worth your time hunny
I wouldn’t take any notice of the so called mind games comment. I don’t think that was your intention at all. Also this guy has a public twitter
(edited 5 years ago)
I wouldn’t take any notice of the so called mind games comment. I don’t think that was your intention at all. Also this guy has a public twitter & instagram, people do that because they wan to be followed.
The reason he may have been a bit off with you is just because he saw at one stage your friends account had blocked him. People can take that personally. And you would have been better off just unfollowing him and then leaving it. If you really like this guy and it bothers you, maybe build up the courage to message him off your twitter and just explain you were too shy to message him/add him yourself so you used your friends. And maybe apologise for blocking him.

I’d say the majority of people male and female have stalked a crushes or exs social media profile at some stage. It’s not the worst thing in the world. I’d understand if you went as far as to search his social media to try find his address and then stake outside his house... but you haven’t so it’s not that deep. As i said he makes these profiles so people can follow him so don’t beat yourself up about it. And if he’s acting like that because of it... he’s not worth your time hunny

Oh no. where did my response go? I''ll have to rewrite it now. My apologies.

I unblocked him as soon as I blocked him. It was purely to have both accounts unfollowing each other. Not to keep him blocked.

Also his Instagram was set to private but he had so many strangers on there. I know this because of his followers to likes ratio, and he had mutual friends to the meme account with people we actually know. And none of them knew him personally. Including my friend. It was just a follow for follow thing.

Thank you for being so kind and understanding :smile:

It’s not a big deal he’s just a dramatic idiot
I don't think you're playing mind games - or need to 'grow up'. Ignore that comment!

I think a lot of people are guilty of stalking people on social media - nothing shameful about it, there's a lot of things we could do better with our time but it's natural to want to see more of an attractive guy, no? :tongue:

n this situation, perhaps you're being paranoid/overthinking and thinking that he's dead eyeing but he's actually not? If he is however, he might just think it was just a weird move to follow him and then block him and unblock him. He's probably confused more than anything! I wouldn't worry about it though, and just keep any stalking you wanna do silently haha - (don't follow him on a finsta, etc).

If you wanna shoot your shot with him, do it confidently and use your real social media to follow him!

Quick Reply