Classical Civilisation A Level- Mix of English Lit, History and Philosophy?

Watch
Y983
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm choosing A Levels a bit late and I found out that the new Sixth Form I'll hopefully be going to will offer a Classical Civilisation course (OCR). As a former Percy Jackson nerd, I was immediately interested but after reading the specification it seemed like a lot of it was English Lit and less so History.

I'm not bad at English Lit (8 in Mocks) but am better at History (9) and a lot better at memorising events and facts rather than quotes from a book. So while I can do English Lit and like analysing sources and words, I don't like memorising long books.

They do the Iliad (lots of people say it's way more boring than the Odyssey is this true?), the Aeneid, Greek Theatre and Love & Desire.

So is Classical Civilisation mostly English Lit with a bit of History and Philosophy or a healthy mix of all three?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by YC399)
I'm choosing A Levels a bit late and I found out that the new Sixth Form I'll hopefully be going to will offer a Classical Civilisation course (OCR). As a former Percy Jackson nerd, I was immediately interested but after reading the specification it seemed like a lot of it was English Lit and less so History.

I'm not bad at English Lit (8 in Mocks) but am better at History (9) and a lot better at memorising events and facts rather than quotes from a book. So while I can do English Lit and like analysing sources and words, I don't like memorising long books.

They do the Iliad (lots of people say it's way more boring than the Odyssey is this true?), the Aeneid, Greek Theatre and Love & Desire.

So is Classical Civilisation mostly English Lit with a bit of History and Philosophy or a healthy mix of all three?
Kind of. Some specifications have actual history modules in, others are more lit heavy.
Talk to the teacher.

What you need to remember is that the literature contains its own history and you will learn about mythology, philosophy and sociology. It is all linked. Classics have been studied a lot longer than English Kit, so they are well respected.

Iliad imo is much more complex than the Odyssey. They are both a bit Percy Jackson.
Y983
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Kind of. Some specifications have actual history modules in, others are more lit heavy.
Talk to the teacher.

What you need to remember is that the literature contains its own history and you will learn about mythology, philosophy and sociology. It is all linked. Classics have been studied a lot longer than English Kit, so they are well respected.

Iliad imo is much more complex than the Odyssey. They are both a bit Percy Jackson.
Thanks for the answer xx
Just curious, when revising Classics are you more focused on themes and events or do you always need specific quotes in your answers?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by YC399)
Thanks for the answer xx
Just curious, when revising Classics are you more focused on themes and events or do you always need specific quotes in your answers?
Depends what the question is.
It might be literature, which means its a bit like lit or it might be history.
Theres plenty of Percy Jackson because it runs through all the literature and is part of their way of life.
Y983
Rep:
?
Depends what the question is.
It might be literature, which means its a bit like lit or it might be history.
Theres plenty of Percy Jackson because it runs through all the literature and is part of their way of life.
The 10 year old Percy Jackson fan deep within me is squealing, I assure you
(Sorry last question I swear lol) I'm thinking of taking Maths as a fourth A Level but I'm not too sure because I don't know how heavy the workload for Classical Civilisation is. I've got A for FSMQ so I'd probably do well but if there's a lot of extra reading and work that needs to go into this I'd rather focus on three instead. Has Classics got an average workload or should I anticipate spending more time on it?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by YC399)
The 10 year old Percy Jackson fan deep within me is squealing, I assure you
(Sorry last question I swear lol) I'm thinking of taking Maths as a fourth A Level but I'm not too sure because I don't know how heavy the workload for Classical Civilisation is. I've got A for FSMQ so I'd probably do well but if there's a lot of extra reading and work that needs to go into this I'd rather focus on three instead. Has Classics got an average workload or should I anticipate spending more time on it?
Depends I would go for average. You get through a lot of books and plays. If you enjoy it then it just seems less.
Maths is the more useful A level, so I say that should be your third imo.
If you did CC as 4th, then if it for too much you could drop it.
Y983
Rep:
?
Depends I would go for average. You get through a lot of books and plays. If you enjoy it then it just seems less.
Maths is the more useful A level, so I say that should be your third imo.
If you did CC as 4th, then if it for too much you could drop it.
I'll probably do that, I just hope I can still drop one since they're linear now so I can't stop after A2
Thank you so much for your help I think I'm definitely going to take Classical Civ xx
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by YC399)
I'll probably do that, I just hope I can still drop one since they're linear now so I can't stop after A2
Thank you so much for your help I think I'm definitely going to take Classical Civ xx
Talk to the teacher and have a look at the specification you will study. There is a large variation but you tend to do some Greece and some Rome, it will then vary as to what mix of literature and history that involves. I think classes tend to be quite small as well. but depends on the type of school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (610)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (757)
41.92%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.43%

Watched Threads