The Student Room Group

Primary education placement assessment

I have a family member who has just failed their 1st placement assessment (primary education( 3rd year student ) looking for advise on how to support. No problem with grades, good report from tutor teacher in 2nd year placement, also classroom teacher gave good report on 2nd placement (3rd year) everything going well or final 3rd year placement, class teacher giving great feedback and indicating very unlikely to fail. Assessment day came, was supposed to be assessed by university tutor but ended up there was also a independent assessor from another authority this assessor would not allow any input from class teacher or university tutor and failed the assessment. 1) is it normal for there to be a independent assessor 2) is it normal that no input is allowed from the mentor teacher, after all the student is learning from them during the placement period. A retake has been allowed in a few weeks time, some feedback has been given, will it be these areas they are looking for improvement on or could it be something totally different depending on the assessor that day. I cant quite understand how someone can have great reports/feedback from school and mentor teacher then fail the placement. Needless to say confidence has taken quite a bit of a hit - so I am trying to find ways to encourage not giving up - at least until after the resit of the placement in a few weeks time. I`m assuming if another fail then that`s it no final 4th year
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by West100
I have a family member who has just failed their 1st placement assessment (primary education( 3rd year student ) looking for advise on how to support. No problem with grades, good report from tutor teacher in 2nd year placement, also classroom teacher gave good report on 2nd placement (3rd year) everything going well or final 3rd year placement, class teacher giving great feedback and indicating very unlikely to fail. Assessment day came, was supposed to be assessed by university tutor but ended up there was also a independent assessor from another authority this assessor would not allow any input from class teacher or university tutor and failed the assessment. 1) is it normal for there to be a independent assessor 2) is it normal that no input is allowed from the mentor teacher, after all the student is learning from them during the placement period. A retake has been allowed in a few weeks time, some feedback has been given, will it be these areas they are looking for improvement on or could it be something totally different depending on the assessor that day. I cant quite understand how someone can have great reports/feedback from school and mentor teacher then fail the placement. Needless to say confidence has taken quite a bit of a hit - so I am trying to find ways to encourage not giving up - at least until after the resit of the placement in a few weeks time. I`m assuming if another fail then that`s it no final 4th year

Sorry to hear this. There should be considerable input from the school based mentor and university link tutor. It seems very strange that an independent assessor has deemed a student teacher a fail grade. I would take on board feedback, unpick what the assessor is actually saying and move forward to the retake. The student MUST seek advice from their personal tutor / link tutor immediately and document these discussions. I believe that they may have been mistreated in some way, if it has happened as you have described. The link tutor and school have the say on grades for placements, I do not understand how someone could walk in and fail a placement, without exceptional circumstances e.g. a safeguarding issue.
Also, a second fail would result in your retaking that placement in the next academic year.

If you wouldn't mind letting me know, I would be interested to know which university this is.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for that reply... I`m the parent in this situation and really want to try and give the best advise and guidance that I can. Its not always easy when you have no experience of the process, Happy to let you know the name of the university but i`m not really sure I want to put it in a post feels a bit too public if you know what I mean. It sounds to me as though the link tutor and school are having no input here, i do feel that is a bit unfair but its happened now and might have to accept it. from what I can make out (so far) everyone else has just had the link tutor do the assessment (i`m assuming the link tutor is the university tutor) I have been told that the independent assessor may have been there to assess the university tutor also, could this be the reason they were maybe over critical and it may just be a case of bad luck.I believe they even said they were looking for zero input. I don`t believe there was any mention of safeguarding issues, The school had nothing but praise of the progress made during placement and were not pleased with the fail at all and raised their concerns with the university but all that`s been achieved is a 2nd placement happening straight after exams in May. So now more than ever I need to make sure this young person who`s confidence has taken a bit of a knock has enough faith in themselves to get through these exams and another placement. Nothing in life is every easy is it, but 3 years of hard work and so far good results getting through this placement again is worth fighting for, I take it all is not lost if that failed a 2nd time, am I right in thinking you would just retake at the start of 4th year, is this the same in all universities as i`m led to believe if another fail then no 4th year. Just keeping my fingers crossed for another good school and mentor teacher. If any one has any advise they can give to me as a parent of a young person going through this it would be very much appreciated, any tips I can pass on how to get the most out of placements or how to survive them most welcome. Do students get clear guidelines on what assessors are looking for?
It is definitely worth it. You won't be able to progress into the next year of studies if you have failed the placement twice, as it will count towards one module. If you can't complete the module you won't progress. However, you will be able to take the module again next academic year. The university will charge you for this and it is likely to make your course a year longer than it was originally, you would then rejoin normal studies in the next academic year (so one year behind).

If you let me know what feedback they received from their assessor, I might be able to give some tips for achieving these targets in the next placement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending