Whata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi guys,
I have got 5 offers to study psychology and I am thinking of firming UCL.
However, I have had second thoughts about doing a psychology degree as there is a saturated market with many people doing it.
I study Psychology, Philosophy and Biology A level and and predicted A*AA
I also really love biology but I feel like a psychology degree will not go into a lot of detail in biology so I have been thinking of studying medicine but I don’t do chemistry
I researched online and found that UEA and Manchester do not require chemistry a level also some foundation year courses don’t expect you to have chemistry
Should I do gap year and apply to these universities without chemistry a level
Or should I study chemistry during my gap year and apply for medecine
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Whata)
Hi guys,
However, I have had second thoughts about doing a psychology degree as there is a saturated market with many people doing it.
I also really love biology but I feel like a psychology degree will not go into a lot of detail in biology so I have been thinking of studying medicine but I don’t do chemistry
I researched online and found that UEA and Manchester do not require chemistry a level also some foundation year courses don’t expect you to have chemistry
Usually for medicine I believe they ask for 2 sciences as a minimum, or maths as a replacement for a science. Psychology isn't usually regarded as a science in medicine applications. I do know someone who received offers for medicine without chemistry, but she was studying biology, maths, further maths and another subject (maybe history? or English? I can't quite remember). Before you make any decisions, I'd definitely email the unis which do accept non-chem applicants and ask whether they'd accept your subjects.
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Whata)
Hi guys,
Try looking at this link for minimum requirements.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

It doesn't look like you satisfy the criteria for Manchester but UEA may be ok. There are at least a couple of others who specifically mention Psychology as being acceptable with Biology (Plymouth and Sheffield).
karinasalya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Seems like you must be really good at Psychology! And UCL is amazing congratulations! I mean yeah Psychology is a really saturated market however there are several parts to it if you find you own specialization you can stand out! And also some parts of psychology do include a lot of Biology but that’s mainly neuroscience like the Biological level of analysis of behavior. My friend goes to UCL for Psych and she loves it.
(Original post by Whata)
Hi guys,
Whata
Rep:
?
(Original post by meddad)
Try looking at this link for minimum requirements.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

It doesn't look like you satisfy the criteria for Manchester but UEA may be ok. There are at least a couple of others who specifically mention Psychology as being acceptable with Biology (Plymouth and Sheffield).
Thanks a lot, would you say these courses are more competitive?
Whata
Rep:
?
(Original post by umbrellala)
Usually for medicine I believe they ask for 2 sciences as a minimum, or maths as a replacement for a science. Psychology isn't usually regarded as a science in medicine applications. I do know someone who received offers for medicine without chemistry, but she was studying biology, maths, further maths and another subject (maybe history? or English? I can't quite remember). Before you make any decisions, I'd definitely email the unis which do accept non-chem applicants and ask whether they'd accept your subjects.
Thanks a lot yes I have asked UEA and they said my a level were fine
Whata
Rep:
?
(Original post by karinasalya)
Seems like you must be really good at Psychology! And UCL is amazing congratulations! I mean yeah Psychology is a really saturated market however there are several parts to it if you find you own specialization you can stand out! And also some parts of psychology do include a lot of Biology but that’s mainly neuroscience like the Biological level of analysis of behavior. My friend goes to UCL for Psych and she loves it.
Thank you so much! I’m just scared that it is an over saturated market and I truely do love medicine so hopefully I can find some way to do it
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Whata)
Thanks a lot, would you say these courses are more competitive?
I'm not certain I understood the question.

Obviously, all medicine courses are very competitive. If you're asking whether those which accept psychology are even more competitive, then my best guess is that it won't make that much difference, because most applicants will be taking Chemistry and Biology anyway, having decided what they wanted to do much earlier.

Don't be put off by the competition ratios. It's often quoted that there are 10 applicants for every place in Medicine, but of course every applicant applies to 4 Medical Schools, so the overall ratio is much less - still very competitive but not as bad as a 1 in 10 chance.

If it's what you want to do, then go for it.
Whata
Rep:
?
Hello,
I have applied for a psychology degree 2020 entry however I have realised that my passions truely lie in medicine and I really love the challenging aspect of it.
I have reciveed offers from UCL and KCL
Would it be stupid to reject these offers and take a gap year to apply for medicine
The BIG PROBLEM is that I have done the wrong A Levels being Philosophy Psychology and Biology predicted A*AA
Some universities will accept these A Levels such as Plymouth and Sheffield I could also apply to foundation years
Do you guys think it is worth the risk of taking a gap year??
And has anyone here ever decided to change the course they applied for to do medicine instead??
Thanks soooooo much guys! ❤️ I would love to get in touch with anyone who has faced a similar situation
Whata
Rep:
?
(Original post by meddad)
I'm not certain I understood the question.

Obviously, all medicine courses are very competitive. If you're asking whether those which accept psychology are even more competitive, then my best guess is that it won't make that much difference, because most applicants will be taking Chemistry and Biology anyway, having decided what they wanted to do much earlier.

Don't be put off by the competition ratios. It's often quoted that there are 10 applicants for every place in Medicine, but of course every applicant applies to 4 Medical Schools, so the overall ratio is much less - still very competitive but not as bad as a 1 in 10 chance.

If it's what you want to do, then go for it.
Thanks a lot really!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads