The Student Room Group

confusion in choosing Msc. Clinical Psychology course

Hello everyone! I'm in utter distress and would really appreciate a quick response.

I'm an international student and have completed my Bachelor's degree which consisted of psychology as one of the main subjects. I applied to the UK for an Msc. Clinical Psychology course and got accepted by the University of Reading and Royal Holloway, University of London. However, none of these Universities asked me to get a gbc via bps for my bachelors. Also, I don't think either of them have a bps accredited Msc course.

I want to work as a Clinical Psychologist in the near future but what I'm scared about is the fact that I don't have gbc and this is not a conversion course. Will it be a issue when I apply for an Mphil or PsycD?

PLEASE please let me know. I really don't want to do a conversion course and I hope I can apply easily after my master's is from the UK. 😢
At least one of your psychology courses needs to be BPS accredited
Reply 2
Original post by bones-mccoy
At least one of your psychology courses needs to be BPS accredited

I see. What would you suggest I do then? I've heard about the BPS Qualifying Exam, is that applicable in my case?
Currently no Masters' degrees in Clinical are BPS. In the past some were.

Why wouldn't you want to do a conversion course?

Didn't the exam get axed?
Reply 4
Original post by marinade
Currently no Masters' degrees in Clinical are BPS. In the past some were.

Why wouldn't you want to do a conversion course?

Didn't the exam get axed?

I don't want to take a whole extra year. You see, the reason I wasn't given a GBC was not due to insufficient modules or course work etc it was because the credit system showed lesser credits than it actually should, the reason for that is the credit system is relatively new at my University. They are still working on it. There may be a chance where they might redo the credits for our course at my University, incase they do I hope it won't be a problem to apply for a GBC again?

I don't know anything about the exam hence I'm asking all of you for some guidance but I'm hoping it isn't axed! 😨.
Original post by AJaries
I don't want to take a whole extra year. You see, the reason I wasn't given a GBC was not due to insufficient modules or course work etc it was because the credit system showed lesser credits than it actually should, the reason for that is the credit system is relatively new at my University. They are still working on it. There may be a chance where they might redo the credits for our course at my University, incase they do I hope it won't be a problem to apply for a GBC again?

I don't know anything about the exam hence I'm asking all of you for some guidance but I'm hoping it isn't axed! 😨.

OIAHE? If you have been missold the degree as it was said to you that it'd be GBC and isn't. Or perhaps ground for a complaint anyway even if you didn't know.

I would ring the BPS today. I got told there used to he an exam but it got axed. Might be incorrect but can't find anything on the website currently.
Reply 6
OIAHE? If you have been missold the degree as it was said to you that it'd be GBC and isn't. Or perhaps ground for a complaint anyway even if you didn't know.

I would ring the BPS today. I got told there used to he an exam but it got axed. Might be incorrect but can't find anything on the website currently.

Some people said the exam is an option even now, hence the confusion. I did reply back and try to explain this situation but they said nothing could be done. :/

Could you please explain what you mean by "it'd be GBC and isn't"?

You would call them really? I don't know how to thank you enough.
Original post by AJaries
Some people said the exam is an option even now, hence the confusion. I did reply back and try to explain this situation but they said nothing could be done. :/

Could you please explain what you mean by "it'd be GBC and isn't"?

You would call them really? I don't know how to thank you enough.

GBC means that someone holding a 2.2 or above on an accredited course can apply for Graduate Basis for Chartered membership. Basically BPS. Being preciser in language as there is a student membership and a third category. Many uni prospective course websites say GBC or BPS or other variants.

Yes, I would ring the BPS. About the status of the existence of the exam at least. Time is short.

I would look into OIAHE. Lack of BPS could.prevent you from obtaining jobs like PWP and AP in future.
Reply 8
GBC means that someone holding a 2.2 or above on an accredited course can apply for Graduate Basis for Chartered membership. Basically BPS. Being preciser in language as there is a student membership and a third category. Many uni prospective course websites say GBC or BPS or other variants.

Yes, I would ring the BPS. About the status of the existence of the exam at least. Time is short.

I would look into OIAHE. Lack of BPS could.prevent you from obtaining jobs like PWP and AP in future.

Absolutely, and I don't want to take a route where I may suffer in the long run.

I am really grateful to you and this gesture.
Reply 9

Hello again. I had mailed the Bps and they said they no longer conduct the exam. However the mentioned a 'special case criteria' for acquiring GBC. I've emailed the Membership Team around 4 days ago as instructed by one of the bps members who contacted me but I haven't received any response yet.

Incase you have an idea about this special case criteria could you please tell me what the prerequisites are? I would be very grateful.

Quick Reply

Latest