Can Remainers please explain this to me...?

Watch
Occitanie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Back in June 2016, we had a vote on whether the UK Remains or Leaves the EU:

17,410,742voted to Leave
16,141,241 voted to Remain

The turnout was 46,500,001.

Now, a petition to revoke Article 50 has reached over 4 million.

My question is: Why does that suddenly matter?
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They think they can overturn the result with a petition. A petition that overseas Brits (who probably didn't vote in the ref) and those who couldn't vote in the ref can sign. What I think will happen is that the government will only debate it in parliament on day one of us leaving. April 13th apparently.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It doesn’t.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
grapé du soûr
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If they won the vote I doubt they would be calling for a second one. Some people just can't get over the fact they lost. This petition is their last rage against the dying of the light.

That being said, I can sympathise with wanting to turn back after the government has made such a hash of Brexit. If it does get called off in the end, it would essentially be because Parliament sabotaged the whole thing with their squabbling and incompetence.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dandaman1)
If they won the vote I doubt they would be calling for a second one. Some people just can't get over the fact they lost. This petition is their last rage against the dying of the light.

That being said, I can sympathise with wanting to turn back after the government has made such a hash of Brexit. If it does get called off in the end, it would essentially be because Parliament sabotaged the whole thing with their squabbling and incompetence.
Of course they wouldn't be demanding a second vote!

The Government's aim is to cancel Brexit, as I've said 80%+ of MPs are pro-Remain.
san_cisco
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It definitely won't change anything, but it sure as hell brings awareness to those who want to leave that, once we leave, the things that they voted for may not necessarily happen. At least not the way the want it to.
username4540078
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It almost certainly doesn't matter.

But there is no harm in making your voice heard. At the very least, it differentiates us from the 17.4 million Brits are responsible for creating this cluster**** of a mess that is Brexit.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
It almost certainly doesn't matter.

But there is no harm in making your voice heard. At the very least, it differentiates us from the 17.4 million Brits are responsible for creating this cluster**** of a mess that is Brexit.
Lol what?

That’s completely absurd. The only people who are to blame are Theresa May and her Tory government.
username4540078
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
Lol what?

That’s completely absurd. The only people who are to blame are Theresa May and her Tory government.
Ah, the predictable look for someone to blame other than the very people who voted for Brexit narrative.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Ah, the predictable look for someone to blame other than the very people who voted for Brexit narrative.
I and every other person who voted Leave knew why they voted and what they voted for. Is it being delivered? NO. It's May's job to deliver and she simply isn't. She's an appeaser. She's being royally ****ed over by the EU.

What on Earth are every Tom, **** and Larry who voted Leave supposed to do right now? Tell me.
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I and every other person who voted Leave knew why they voted and what they voted for. Is it being delivered? NO. It's May's job to deliver and she simply isn't. She's an appeaser. She's being royally ****ed over by the EU.

What on Earth are every Tom, **** and Larry who voted Leave supposed to do right now? Tell me.
They like to call us stupid, for not knowing the consequences etc. Are they sure "no" UK businesses would have upped sticks or closed down had we voted their way? Are they sure remaining would not somehow mean a rush towards the Channel by all those migrants? Are they sure, having voted Remain we'd not be taught a lesson like a naughty little kid for daring to leave?
nzy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Idk, but it's the same thing the rest of us are supposed to do because we're all in the same sinking boat now.

Also, it's VERY bold of you to assume that, out of 17 and a half million people, every single one of them made a completely informed decision to vote leave.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
(Original post by nzy)
Idk, but it's the same thing the rest of us are supposed to do because we're all in the same sinking boat now.

Also, it's VERY bold of you to assume that, out of 17 and a half million people, every single one of them made a completely informed decision to vote leave.
I’m telling you the vast majority did.
username4540078
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I and every other person who voted Leave knew why they voted and what they voted for.

They did? Can show me the detailed proposals the various leave campaigns or significant figures who supported Brexit had for the Irish border? If not, we will have to assume you didn't think the Brexit process through.

Is it being delivered? NO. It's May's job to deliver and she simply isn't. She's an appeaser.
Brexit supporters had the opportunity to vote for Brexit supporting MPs in 2017. Many chose not to, instead they voted for parties that were deeply divided over Brexit and ridden with infighting. You are getting the chaotic Brexit you deserve.

being royally ****ed over by the EU.
Again, you are looking for someone to blame. Stop it with the victim mentality.

Sit on your corpulent backside, whine, and wait for the establishment figures who made false promises to deliver Brexit? At least that is what you've been doing for almost three years.

It's telling that thousands are marching in support of a second referendum today yet only around 200 people bothered to turned out for Nigel Farage this morning.
nzy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m telling you the vast majority did.
Vast is perhaps not the word I would use. Knowing the British public, to say that even the whole 10% that won the vote did would probably be a wild exaggeration.
Medrat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

It's telling that thousands are marching in support of a second referendum today yet only around 200 people bothered to turned out for Nigel Farage this morning.
Why do Leavers need to march? What slogan they have on their banner?
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They did? Can show me the detailed proposals the various leave campaigns or significant figures who supported Brexit had for the Irish border? If not, we will have to assume you didn't think the Brexit process through.

Brexit supporters had the opportunity to vote for Brexit supporting MPs in 2017. Many chose not to, instead they voted for parties that were deeply divided over Brexit and ridden with infighting. You are getting the chaotic Brexit you deserve.

Again, you are looking for someone to blame. Stop it with the victim mentality.

Sit on your corpulent backside, whine, and wait for the establishment figures who made false promises to deliver Brexit? At least that is what you've been doing for almost three years.

I just got back from the march and to be fair some of the people there marched three times using different email addresses and some of them were actually marching in Afghanistan.
Lala143
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am a 'Remainer' however I respect the outcome of Brexit as I would be undermining Britain's biggest exercise of democracy if I was to sign that petition (which I shouldn't anyway because I'm not 18 yet) so I didn't. Moreover, this just seems like something that is happening because they were bitter that the outcome wasn't what they wanted.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Back in June 2016, we had a vote on whether the UK Remains or Leaves the EU:

17,410,742 voted to Leave
16,141,241 voted to Remain

The turnout was 46,500,001.

Now, a petition to revoke Article 50 has reached over 4 million.

My question is: Why does that suddenly matter?
It doesn't 'matter' but people still want their voice to be heard.

The government has, arguably, ignored the views of the 48% who voted remain. Brexit wasn't a decisive victory, Leave won by a relatively small margin. Either through May's deal or no deal at all, the Brexit we'll be getting will be a hard one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (90)
52.63%
No, they should still go ahead (34)
19.88%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (47)
27.49%

Watched Threads