Bob7866
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can anybody do this question i'm confused:
A non uniform rod AB of length 20 cm rests horizontally on two supports at C and D, where AC=BD=4cm. The greatest mass that can be hung from A without disturbing equilibrium is 8g, and the greatest mass that can be hung from B is 10g (when no mass is hung from A) is 10g. Find the mass of the rod and the distance of its centre of mass from A.

The answer is a mass of 6g and 9.3cm. But not sure how to get it.
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bob7866)
Can anybody do this question i'm confused:
A non uniform rod AB of length 20 cm rests horizontally on two supports at C and D, where AC=BD=4cm. The greatest mass that can be hung from A without disturbing equilibrium is 8g, and the greatest mass that can be hung from B is 10g (when no mass is hung from A) is 10g. Find the mass of the rod and the distance of its centre of mass from A.

The answer is a mass of 6g and 9.3cm. But not sure how to get it.
Take moments about each support separately.
About C, the rod will rotate when the mass at A means the reaction at D ibecomes zero. That means the COM moment equals the mass at A moment.
Similarly about D.
Two equations in two unknowns, so solve.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 year ago
Bob7866
Rep:
?
Thanks, so will there be a reaction force at C and D on both supports when you take moments separately?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Take moments about each support separately.
About C, the rod will rotate when the mass at A means the reaction at D ibecomes zero. That means the COM moment equals the mass at A moment.
Similarly about D.
Two equations in two unknowns, so solve.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks, so will there be a reaction force at C and D on both supports when you take moments separately?
With no weights at either end, the COM will lie between C and D. When you put a heavy weight at A say, the rod will start to rotate about C and the reaction at D will disappear (the rod will move off this support due to the rotation). The critical mass is when the reaction at D ibecomes zero.
Bob7866
Rep:
?
I'm still not getting the answer. Can you work it out please so i know where i am going wrong?
With no weights at either end, the COM will lie between C and D. When you put a heavy weight at A say, the rod will start to rotate about C and the reaction at D will disappear (the rod will move off this support due to the rotation). The critical mass is when the reaction at D ibecomes zero.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can you show me what you've tried?
I'm still not getting the answer. Can you work it out please so i know where i am going wrong?
Bob7866
Rep:
?
Name:  20190326_210457.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  50.2 KB
Can you show me what you've tried?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
About right. In 2 it should be
12-x
That probably explains the negative mass
Bob7866
Rep:
?
oh yeahh thankss a lot for that
About right. In 2 it should be
12-x
That probably explains the negative mass
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Apart from that slip, the moment expressions were correct.
oh yeahh thankss a lot for that
Bob7866
Rep:
?
Thanks for that One quick question, to find the distance from point A do i take moments from the first diagram or the 2nd diagram?
Apart from that slip, the moment expressions were correct.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Neithet?
You've solved for x? Simply add 4.
Thanks for that One quick question, to find the distance from point A do i take moments from the first diagram or the 2nd diagram?
Bob7866
Rep:
?
Naa, i've solved for m which is the mass now i need to find the distance from A
Neithet?
Bob7866
Rep:
?
Oh wait don't matter ive got it. Thanks for the help
Neithet?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah but ..... x = 32/m

Naa, i've solved for m which is the mass now i need to find the distance from A
Mermaidqueen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi sorry, Im stuck on the same question and looking at your working out I don't understand why you have ignored the reaction forces that should come out from each support
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When you take a moment about C, the added mass at the end balances the COM of the bar. Hence, in equilibrium, the reaction at D must be zero. If the bar was not in equilibrium, either there would be a positive reaction at D and the support would do its job, or if the reaction was negative .the bar would start to rotate.
(Original post by Mermaidqueen)
Hi sorry, Im stuck on the same question and looking at your working out I don't understand why you have ignored the reaction forces that should come out from each support
Mermaidqueen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh okay, now looking at both of your diagrams I get it but the only thing is.. on the second diagram the distance of the COM to D you wrote x-12, can you please explain why its not 12-x as you would subtract 2 x 4 from 20 to be left with 12cm in total between C and D and x must be some distance from D hence 12-x...

Im really sorry, I appreciate you answering, I have just learnt moments yesterday and am trying to wrap my head around it, thank you
When you take a moment about C, the added mass at the end balances the COM of the bar. Hence, in equilibrium, the reaction at D must be zero. If the bar was not in equilibrium, either there would be a positive reaction at D and the support would do its job, or if the reaction was negative .the bar would start to rotate.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is 12-x, that was the mistake they made.
(Original post by Mermaidqueen)
Oh okay, now looking at both of your diagrams I get it but the only thing is.. on the second diagram the distance of the COM to D you wrote x-12, can you please explain why its not 12-x as you would subtract 2 x 4 from 20 to be left with 12cm in total between C and D and x must be some distance from D hence 12-x...

Im really sorry, I appreciate you answering, I have just learnt moments yesterday and am trying to wrap my head around it, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (173)
59.04%
I don't have everything I need (120)
40.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed