Should we be thankful to America for the demise of the Isis caliphate? Watch

NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
It was causing a lot of death and suffering to men women and children and infrastructure and archaeological sites such as palmira) would have carried on growing without US military intervention.

Or, do you believe they were just cleaning up the mess they created and testing out their new smart weapons in the process?

Would IS have arisen and done the same thing anyway?
Last edited by NJA; 4 weeks ago
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nah, they'll just be usurped by another barbaric group of islamists.
mailmale
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Saying "yes we should" = Islamophobia = ban, so I won't vote on this one.
NJA
Rep:
?
(Original post by mailmale)
I deliberately said IS not "Islamic State", maybe I should have said Daesh, it's only potentially islamophobic if you conflate Islam with IS, do you?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)
It was causing a lot of death and suffering to men women and children and infrastructure and archaeological sites such as palmira) would have carried on growing without US military intervention.

Or, do you believe they were just cleaning up the mess they created and testing out their new smart weapons in the process?

You forget the role played by all the other countries and factions.
Your other point about testing smart weapons that cost hundreds of thousands b the russians using dumb weapons is laughable.

Cant say im sad to see ISIS diminished. Are you sad they are gone?
mailmale
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well the way ISIS worked isn't that far from KSA and rural Pakistan and Afghanistan. Several hundred million people shares values and beliefs with what would be accepted by ISIS as a "good standard".
(Original post by NJA)
I deliberately said IS not "Islamic State", maybe I should have said Daesh, it's only potentially islamophobic if you conflate Islam with IS, do you?
NJA
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You forget the role played by all the other countries and factions.
Your other point about testing smart weapons that cost hundreds of thousands b the russians using dumb weapons is laughable.

Cant say im sad to see ISIS diminished. Are you sad they are gone?
I don't forget the role played by others and just highlighting that without the USA wouldn't have happened. Why is my point about weapons laughable?
The military hardware industry is keen to develop and sell it's wares, not purely for filthy lucre but because they rightly or wrongly believe it deters others and saves lives.

I'm not sad to see Daesh diminished death and suffering helps no one, I hope that the peace can be won so that all can have constructive lives.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
You wouldnt get a ban for saying you were glad isis were defeated in terms of holding territory.
Not islamophobic because they dont represent all muslims and some would say they dont represent muslims at all.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The Kurdish forces deserve more recognition, the job they did in Kobani for example in 2015 was heroic.
mailmale
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They still represent hundreds of millions of people that are living or trying to live to a standard enforced by thugs from ISIS. Sort of a pickle, here.
You wouldnt get a ban for saying you were glad isis were defeated in terms of holding territory.
Not islamophobic because they dont represent all muslims and some would say they dont represent muslims at all.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
They still represent hundreds of millions of people that are living or trying to live to a standard enforced by thugs from ISIS. Sort of a pickle, here.
You wouldnt get a ban and ive already said it.
You dont really ahve any standing as your account was created today.
mailmale
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
OK, then I think that killing a bunch of lunatics with the assistance of equally insane people isn't much of a progress...
You wouldnt get a ban and ive already said it.
You dont really ahve any standing as your account was created today.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
The Kurdish forces deserve more recognition, the job they did in Kobane for example in 2015 was heroic.
It was, but there was major coalition air support. They would have been overrun otherwise.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
OK, then I think that killing a bunch of lunatics with the assistance of equally insane people isn't much of a progress...
Am sure you will manage to get yourself banned over something else though.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It was, but there was major coalition air support. They would have been overrun otherwise.
Agreed. Both parties needed one another. Air strikes on their own would have been useless
Last edited by Andrew97; 4 weeks ago
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To be fair, the vast majority of risk taking and suffering was done by Kurdish and Syrian fighters, not Americans. They deserve more thanks.

And it should not be forgotten that the invasion of Iraq in 2003 and the badly planned cluster**** of an occupation/insurgency provided the perfect environment for ISIS to flourish.
mailmale
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Am sure you will manage to get yourself banned over something else though.
I've been banned here before, never found out why. I just wanted to know if I can learn cello on my own or if it is bit too late for me
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Agreed. Both parties needed one another.
You will see in my first answer I pointed out the defeat of ISIS was by a number of countries and factions. The Kurds have proven to be the only cohesive force on the ground the west can work with. They have been very successful, but it was in their interests to fight for increased control of territory as I expect ISIS would have gone for them and everyone else sooner rather than later.
cadaanshaydaan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
lol why should America be thanked when their "counterterrorism" is a global islamophobic colonial act justifying invsasion to defeat the islamic fundamentalism they imported. sending 26,000 bombs to Syria under the Obama administration alone somehow means the international community should bow in submission and gratitude????
GetGradenines
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)

America created them, then destroyed them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (246)
39.42%
No - but I will (42)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (291)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed