Choosing my GCSE’s history or geography

Watch
Abbie725
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m choosing my gcse options in a week and I’m stuck between history or geography. I have always liked geography and never really grasped the concept of history however this academic year it has flipped. I’m enjoying history more but I’m not sure whether it’s just the topics we’ve covered (WW1 and 2) or the teacher or I’ve just grown to love history. However I still really like geography and have done for a long time. I’ve gone back and forth between the two and I thought I’d made the decision to take geography but after a talk with teachers and my parent I’m even more stuck and back where I started. I am looking to be a surgeon when I grow up and hence wanted to study medicine. Does it matter which I take to study medicine? I’ve heard that history is harder in exams but geography can be boring and uneventful. I’m confused and as I can’t take both I’m stuck. Please leave any suggestions below.
walnut777
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi. When I was picking my GCSE options, my dad kinda made me do geography and not history. I cried over it and i really wanted to do history, but only really because I had the best teacher in year 9. I honestly preferred the content in geography but we had pretty bad teachers. If you know that you only recently started liking history (like me - and we were doing WW1 too) and it may have been because of your teacher, then I think you should stick with geography. Your gcse options dont effect whether or not you can do medicine, but focus on the sciences for that. Both history and geography are great for medicine aspects because in history, you learn the history of medicine, whereas in geography you learn about how population and poverty causes diseases and low and high birth rates. Geography gives you a better perspecitve of the future, but history is fixed and you can always learn it anytime. From having friends that have done history, there is a LOT of essay writing whereas in geography, theres different styled questions and the content varies a lot. I went through the same thought process as you, but consider your grades and everything too.
Abbie725
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much it really helps. I think my situation relates to yours a lot from year 9 and to be honest I don’t anyone could have put it better so thank you x
(Original post by walnut777)
Hi. When I was picking my GCSE options, my dad kinda made me do geography and not history. I cried over it and i really wanted to do history, but only really because I had the best teacher in year 9. I honestly preferred the content in geography but we had pretty bad teachers. If you know that you only recently started liking history (like me - and we were doing WW1 too) and it may have been because of your teacher, then I think you should stick with geography. Your gcse options dont effect whether or not you can do medicine, but focus on the sciences for that. Both history and geography are great for medicine aspects because in history, you learn the history of medicine, whereas in geography you learn about how population and poverty causes diseases and low and high birth rates. Geography gives you a better perspecitve of the future, but history is fixed and you can always learn it anytime. From having friends that have done history, there is a LOT of essay writing whereas in geography, theres different styled questions and the content varies a lot. I went through the same thought process as you, but consider your grades and everything too.
sillysauage
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m about to finish my gcse history course, and i have some friends that do geography. They say that geography is very content heavy with case studies and stuff like that, but so is history in a sense. I would advise history as its quite interesting, unless you’re doing the cold war lol. Key dates are also a big part, so if you cant remember birthdays you might struggle with that
walnut777
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you're welcome
(Original post by Abbie725)
Thank you so much it really helps. I think my situation relates to yours a lot from year 9 and to be honest I don’t anyone could have put it better so thank you x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.03%
England (108)
34.29%
Belgium (27)
8.57%
Germany (37)
11.75%
Spain (5)
1.59%