The Student Room Group

FP2: Complex numbersplex numbers

how do I do part a? I can't find the answer on examsolutions nor the textbook.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Maths&physics

This is a standard question that you should know how to do - there will be a section on it in your textbook.

|z| is the distance from the origin to P. |z-6| is the distance from the complex number 6 ((6,0) on an argand diagram) to P. |z| = |z-6| is saying that these two distances are equal.

Which points P on the argand diagram are equidistant from (0,0) and (6,0)?
Original post by Notnek
This is a standard question that you should know how to do - there will be a section on it in your textbook.

|z| is the distance from the origin to P. |z-6| is the distance from the complex number 6 ((6,0) on an argand diagram) to P. |z| = |z-6| is saying that these two distances are equal.

Which points P on the argand diagram are equidistant from (0,0) and (6,0)?

3, 0
Reply 3
3, 0

That's one of the points but not all of them. You need the "locus of points" so you need every point that is equidistant from (0,0) and (6,0). Together these (infinite number of) points will be a line and you need to write down the equation of this line.

EDIT: Well in this case you need to draw the line instead of writing down its equation.
Original post by Notnek
That's one of the points but not all of them. You need the "locus of points" so you need every point that is equidistant from (0,0) and (6,0). Together these (infinite number of) points will be a line and you need to write down the equation of this line.

EDIT: Well in this case you need to draw the line instead of writing down its equation.

how would I visualise this?
Reply 5
how would I visualise this?

Sketch an argand diagram and mark on the points (0,0) and (6,0) and then start drawing points that are the same distance from both points. E.g. (3,0) is one of them, what others are there? Together these points will form a line.

This is just GCSE maths. At GCSE you'd be asked something like, "sketch the locus of points that are equidistant from A and B".

Really you should just "know" what this locus looks like as soon as you see the equation since it's one of the standard loci. Once you've worked this out I recommend rereading through your textbook on this topic.
Original post by Notnek
Sketch an argand diagram and mark on the points (0,0) and (6,0) and then start drawing points that are the same distance from both points. E.g. (3,0) is one of them, what others are there? Together these points will form a line.

This is just GCSE maths. At GCSE you'd be asked something like, "sketch the locus of points that are equidistant from A and B".

Really you should just "know" what this locus looks like as soon as you see the equation since it's one of the standard loci. Once you've worked this out I recommend rereading through your textbook on this topic.

so this isn't related to a circle?
Reply 7
so this isn't related to a circle?

No not really. If it was something like |z-6|=3 then you'd draw a circle. The locus in your question is different.
Original post by Notnek
No not really. If it was something like |z-6|=3 then you'd draw a circle. The locus in your question is different.

ok, well that clears a lot up! :smile:
Reply 9
ok, well that clears a lot up! :smile:

If you haven't already then I think you should watch the videos in the "Loci in the Complex Plane" section of here. You are lacking understanding.
Original post by Maths&amp

Part (a) is a line perpendicular to 6 + 0i and origin.

Part (b) is intersection of a line and a circle. A quick diagram will help.

For part (c), substitute z = 60/w and simplify. You should get |w - 5| = 5.
Original post by Notnek
If you haven't already then I think you should watch the videos in the "Loci in the Complex Plane" section of here. You are lacking understanding.

I watched the first tutorial but it didnt help but I'll watch the rest.
Original post by Notnek

it says that that locus of a point that's equal distance from 2 fixed points is the perpendicular bisector...
Reply 13
it says that that locus of a point that's equal distance from 2 fixed points is the perpendicular bisector...

Yes that’s right. I was trying to help you understand this without giving you the answer. If you don’t understand where these loci come from then you won’t be able to do non-standard questions.
Original post by Notnek
Yes that’s right. I was trying to help you understand this without giving you the answer. If you don’t understand where these loci come from then you won’t be able to do non-standard questions.

thank you. I'm going to try and do it for this question.
Original post by Notnek

how would I approach b? numerically..
(edited 5 years ago)
how would I approach b? numerically..

Find the intersection of the line with the circle. Basically substitute one into the other.
Original post by DFranklin
Find the intersection of the line with the circle. Basically substitute one into the other.

I studied the entire complex number chapter on exam solutions and I get it!! :smile: thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by Notnek

and your help too! :smile:
Original post by DFranklin

Original post by Notnek

what is c asking? the transformation T places (maps) the line |z-6| = |z| onto a circle in the w-plane - just like we have in b but both the circle and line are in the z plane.

how would I show that?

and, what do I know about the circle in the w plane - it's radius, centre points....?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest