AQA GCSE English Literature 8702 - Paper 1 - 15th May 2019 Watch

Poll: How did your AQA English Lit Paper 1 go
Loved the paper - Feeling positive (372)
27.74%
The paper was reasonable (609)
45.41%
Not feeling great about that exam.. (233)
17.38%
It was TERRIBLE (127)
9.47%
bika
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
can youo BELIEVE aqa did beatrice and the monster again?!?!??! i wasted so much time revising the other themes certain hero/claudio and frank would come up!!!

beatrice essay was ok monster was just average bc of timings
freya122
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Omg that’s so good! Wish I did that!
(Original post by Jeqen)
A Christmas Carol went really well for me - was very happy until I looked up at the clock and realized I had 35 mins left for MacBeth. However, for a 35 minute essay it went alright (though I ran out of time for a conclusion so I could be marked down?). I said that MacBeth is violent but its mostly down to manipulation from the Witches and Lady MacBeth as they are actually the violent characters; but as they are women they use MacBeth to channel their violence as they can't do so themselves. A very odd interpretation but at least it's unique.
lilyrose270
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Anyone who did Jane Eyre (very rare considering this chat mostly talks about J+H and ACC), how did you find it?
failingGCSE
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My predictions on ACC were right hahaha
Tj o
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I kinda had the same interpretation that Macbeth was not really violent but was being manipulated into being so but I think I was wrong
(Original post by Jeqen)
A Christmas Carol went really well for me - was very happy until I looked up at the clock and realized I had 35 mins left for MacBeth. However, for a 35 minute essay it went alright (though I ran out of time for a conclusion so I could be marked down?). I said that MacBeth is violent but its mostly down to manipulation from the Witches and Lady MacBeth as they are actually the violent characters; but as they are women they use MacBeth to channel their violence as they can't do so themselves. A very odd interpretation but at least it's unique.
Phoebe5749
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It was a nice paper but I bet the grade boundaries are going to be sooooo night now 😕 just going to hope for the best. Paper two will probably be hellish as this one was so generous
MikeOnABike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For those who were doing the A Christmas Carol, did you get irritated by how they referred to it as Chapter 1 not Stave 1 and a novel instead of a novella?
Phoebe5749
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don’t worry too much about conclusion my school don’t even tell you to do it cause it doesn’t really matter the other objectives are a lot more important
(Original post by freya122)
Omg that’s so good! Wish I did that!
GCSE Student 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lilyrose270)
Anyone who did Jane Eyre (very rare considering this chat mostly talks about J+H and ACC), how did you find it?
Not going to lie, I struggled quite a bit as I don't think I gave it my all.
I wrote about ST John and used the perspective that he treated jane with respect as he viewed her intelligence and passion useful for doing missionary stuff and not condemning her intelligence and forcing her to be plain and stuff.
Do you think that is ok ?
Oh and what did you write about
nhgfcgyujmn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
anyone else flopped frankenstein?? (about the monster)
Vetrix42
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I said about for the extract. Shakespeare is trying to show the difference through Macbeth's character the difference between righteous and immoral violence. In summary I said about Macbeth's righteous violence is when he kills the 'rebels' in order to maintain the Great Chain of Being for his King and to protect his country. I then contrasted it with the idea of immoral violence beginning with when his "thoughts are murder but yet fantastical" and how it moves to the literal violence instead of abstract with "come let me clutch thee (danger). And how this leads to his apex with "I am in blood".

What do you guys think?
Avishar_D
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I basically just ran out of things to say tbh. Literally all there is to the question is that the monster gets rejected by the De Laceys and also is neglected after its creation which justifies his increasing violence.
(Original post by nhgfcgyujmn)
anyone else flopped frankenstein?? (about the monster)
izzym026
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lilyrose270)
I did Jane Eyre. It was so annoying. I revised the harder and wider themes to get a question about the male characters. I was writing for like 30 minutes to realize i have barely talked about methods and am basically retelling the story. I just wrote about how she wants to be equal to the males and focused most on Rochester and their dynamics which may have not been the best.. I hope my macbeth essay makes up for it though
nynjmljn1211
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by olkapippin)
I just hope the grade boundaries aren't too high
same!!!! i wanted to get a top level band answer but idk if that’ll be enough for a grade 9 arghh
queenchloe
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wrote that too! But, I really struggled with my analysis.. I wrote like half a page for my actual language analysis... I structured my answer like this:

Shakespeare context: patriarchal society - men dominate society, men showed their masculinity through violence and cruelty. Also a religious time

What happened before and after and currently: before - witches prophecies, after - lady macbeth reading letter, currently: Captain is showing how impressed he was with Macbeth's performance in battle.

1st paragraph: in the extract & elsewhere: "brave macbeth" and "devil damned thee black"
2nd paragraph: in extract & elsewhere: "bloody execution and "merciless tyrant"
(cant really remember apart from quotes)
I am not very positive about what I wrote...
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
I know, the extract wasn't very generous. I just talked about how he's praised all the time and the Captain is almost fearful of him. I mainly talked about the rest of the play to get away with it, though. You're not alone! :rofl:

You'll pass, no doubt. :yep:
RazzzBerries
  • Chat Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by queenchloe)
I wrote that too! But, I really struggled with my analysis.. I wrote like half a page for my actual language analysis... I structured my answer like this:

Shakespeare context: patriarchal society - men dominate society, men showed their masculinity through violence and cruelty. Also a religious time

What happened before and after and currently: before - witches prophecies, after - lady macbeth reading letter, currently: Captain is showing how impressed he was with Macbeth's performance in battle.

1st paragraph: in the extract & elsewhere: "brave macbeth" and "devil damned thee black"
2nd paragraph: in extract & elsewhere: "bloody execution and "merciless tyrant"
(cant really remember apart from quotes)
I am not very positive about what I wrote...
That's really good, don't worry! Wish I thought about the witches bit :rofl:
izzym026
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
I know, the extract wasn't very generous. I just talked about how he's praised all the time and the Captain is almost fearful of him. I mainly talked about the rest of the play to get away with it, though. You're not alone! :rofl:

You'll pass, no doubt. :yep:
I think ripping someone apart and cutting their head off is pretty violent... i just spoke about how he has always been violent.. the change is what he is violent for. Personal gain or for his king? i spoke about duncans murder and how it was not as violent as the extract yet t made a massive impact on macbeth. I then linked this to the divine right of kings and that to James the 1 and the gunpowder plot. I tried to put as much SHC in there as i could link. I spoke about how the first thing the audience learn about macbeth is that he is violent and it might just be a cautionary tale bla bla bla
Alibabaalibaba
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In the question how far is Macbeth presented as violent would u miss out marks if only mentioned for points no against?
studentsgcse
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GCSE Student 18)
Not going to lie, I struggled quite a bit as I don't think I gave it my all.
I wrote about ST John and used the perspective that he treated jane with respect as he viewed her intelligence and passion useful for doing missionary stuff and not condemning her intelligence and forcing her to be plain and stuff.
Do you think that is ok ?
Oh and what did you write about
I think it was ok. I talked about Mr Brocklehurst, Sir John and Mr Rochester. I called him Sir John instead of St John. Will I lose marks ?
Boucherwowcha
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Alibabaalibaba)
In the question how far is Macbeth presented as violent would u miss out marks if only mentioned for points no against?
^^^^^^^^^^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (401)
30.63%
The paper was reasonable (514)
39.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (225)
17.19%
It was TERRIBLE (169)
12.91%

Watched Threads