don't know what to do at uni with my a levels

Watch
ummbiz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently in year 12 doing history, business, and chemistry and I have no idea what I can do with that random mix of a levels
I have considered history, international relations with politics but i don't do politics as an a level and maybe business
Last edited by ummbiz; 1 year ago
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ummbiz)
I am currently in year 12 doing history, business and chemistry and i have no idea what i can do with that random mix of a levels
Are you particularly interested in one subject over the others? there are many degrees where they won't have subject specific requirements, you could also do a joint degree or something like liberal arts and sciences since you're interests seem to be quite varied.
ummbiz
Rep:
?
probably history appeals the most to me
(Original post by claireestelle)
Are you particularly interested in one subject over the others? there are many degrees where they won't have subject specific requirements, you could also do a joint degree or something like liberal arts and sciences since you're interests seem to be quite varied.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ummbiz)
probably history appeals the most to me
most universities would accept just history to get into a history degree.
ummbiz
Rep:
?
thanks for the advice

(Original post by claireestelle)
most universities would accept just history to get into a history degree.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could do a degree in history, business, or chemistry...however in the latter case (chemistry) you'd be a weaker candidate both in applications and once you started the course without any other science subjects. You would have a more limited pool of options to apply to as well. History is naturally an option, although notable simply because unlike many other humanities/social sciences subjects it does normally require you to have taken that A-level (which you have). Business courses usually have no specific requirements, although sometimes they might require A-level Maths or a certain grade in GCSE Maths (typically for more quantitative courses involving e.g. finance, accounting, or economics).

Aside from those slightly obvious options, you could potentially apply to a very wide range of courses. Pretty much any degree except most STEM courses for direct entry, most language-based courses (usually require the/a language to A-level, although there are some exceptions e.g. classics or some ab initio languages), economics (including PPE, usually requires A-level Maths), usually English literature (normally requires that subject to A-level), and most creative/design courses (at least directly; usually require a creative A-level or a foundation art diploma) will accept any combination of A-levels, although they may have some preferences.

Your combination might be particularly amenable to courses like archaeology, which has both scientific and historical elements, or psychology which has both scientific and essay-based/qualitative aspects. Something in between those like human sciences/biological anthropology might also draw from both sides of your options.

Quite a few social sciences, such as politics and geography (NB some geography degrees require A-level Geography) involve some quantitative aspects which your background in chemistry might give you some aptitude for, and your other subjects should generally prepare you well enough for those. Courses like philosophy (i.e. in general, rather than of science specifically) and law draw from both interpretive and analytical approaches that you'll have developed in your non-science and science courses respectively.

You may also find something like the history and philosophy of science or science in society type courses interesting, if you want to learn more about the underpinnings of scientific thought and method without focusing on the actual scientific theories themselves. There may also be scope to focus on the social, political, historical, and/or philosophical aspects relating to science and technology in some of the other courses noted above.

Even though you've only taken once science subject, most STEM courses are available as a "..with foundation year" variant where you will spend a preliminary year 0 studying any scientific content you might have missed before joining the first year of the course. So you could apply to almost any STEM subject as a result still, if you find you do enjoy STEM areas a lot and you just didn't take the right combination to pursue that.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (41)
65.08%
I don't have everything I need (22)
34.92%

Watched Threads