Fran9718
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everybody!
A friend of mine is studying her last year before going to university. She wants to study astrophysics, but we have no idea how this is done... Is there an undergraduate degree of astrophysics? Or maybe she must study an undergraduate degree of physics and then do a graduate degree of astrophysics... I have no idea. Please help.
Thanks a lot. I love this forum.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Either a degree in physics generally or astrophysics specifically is suitable to continue to graduate studies in astrophysics. Specific courses in astrophysics are just a standard physics degree, with some additional modules which would otherwise be optional be required to take in certain areas of astronomy or astrophysics (you might evade some more advanced aspects of e.g. condensed matter/solid state physics which might be required modules in other physics degrees).

Also it's not uncommon for maths graduates from some universities which offer a lot of applied maths/theoretical physics options in their maths degrees to continue to astrophysics grad studies. Cambridge and Imperial College both offer maths degrees which have quite a number of relevant options. Alternately a joint honours course in maths and physics would be good preparation, as usually the fluid mechanics material isn't as extensively covered in a pure physics course, but is quite relevant to (some) areas of astrophysics.

The above is all with reference to courses and universities in the UK; it may vary abroad, but generally a physics degree is in of itself sufficient.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (7)
11.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.47%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.08%
I need help with my personal statement (25)
42.37%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
23.73%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.39%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.08%

Watched Threads