The Student Room Group

Comforting boyfriend advice please!

So, there is a bit of an age gap which makes me feel like I’m immature compared to him (13 and 16 years old). A week ago he was seeming more distant then usual, so I lightly confronted him about it. He told me about the unfortunate passing of his cousin, who had been shot. I comforted him that night etc. We had plans for today to ice skate. He said he couldn’t go ice skating but could just hang in a place closer to his home the night beforehand, I agree. I confirm a meeting time this morning to which he replied, “Hey hope you haven't left yet im really sorry but my grandparents wont let me go out, it has nothing to do with you dw but yeah im really really sorry,”. I’m not angry he cancelled or anything, as I am told by someone that his dead relative’s funeral is today. He doesn’t think I know about it. Why did he try and hide it from me? Should I text and check up on him or should I wait for him to text me? Even I should text what should I say? I just don’t want him struggling about his grievance by himself, but I don’t want to be that paranoid constantly stalking girlfriend. Thanks!
Original post by ThatBlonde
So, there is a bit of an age gap which makes me feel like I’m immature compared to him (13 and 16 years old). A week ago he was seeming more distant then usual, so I lightly confronted him about it. He told me about the unfortunate passing of his cousin, who had been shot. I comforted him that night etc. We had plans for today to ice skate. He said he couldn’t go ice skating but could just hang in a place closer to his home the night beforehand, I agree. I confirm a meeting time this morning to which he replied, “Hey hope you haven't left yet im really sorry but my grandparents wont let me go out, it has nothing to do with you dw but yeah im really really sorry,”. I’m not angry he cancelled or anything, as I am told by someone that his dead relative’s funeral is today. He doesn’t think I know about it. Why did he try and hide it from me? Should I text and check up on him or should I wait for him to text me? Even I should text what should I say? I just don’t want him struggling about his grievance by himself, but I don’t want to be that paranoid constantly stalking girlfriend. Thanks!

Maybe he doesn't want to talk about it. Message him and just say you're here for him if he needs you, but don't say anything else. Give him some time and space to grieve.
Reply 2
Thanks! But how do I say this without him knowing that I known he attended a funeral. I’m assuming he didn’t want me to know since it wasn’t included in his text.

Original post by DrawTheLine
Maybe he doesn't want to talk about it. Message him and just say you're here for him if he needs you, but don't say anything else. Give him some time and space to grieve.
Bit too young to be in a relationship at 13 tbh.
Sorry, 13 and 16?? I couldn’t imagine dating a 13 year old at 16. I’m 18 and even the thought of dating a 17 year old makes me feel sick.
Reply 5
Yeah, I get that a lot!! However I’m due to turn fourteen in June and we try to make things work which they have been so far, but thanks! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Bit too young to be in a relationship at 13 tbh.
Reply 6
Really? In all fairness he just turned sixteen in February and I am due to turn fourteen this upcoming june which technically makes us two years apart. Trust me I didn’t just see him and thought it’d be cool to date an older guy or anything. We have known each other for two years. It may seem like a big age difference now however if the relationship lasts (it will not most likely) but if it does then 24 and 27 doesn’t seem to be that big of an age difference.
Original post by nightisdark
Sorry, 13 and 16?? I couldn’t imagine dating a 13 year old at 16. I’m 18 and even the thought of dating a 17 year old makes me feel sick.
Thanks! But how do I say this without him knowing that I known he attended a funeral. I’m assuming he didn’t want me to know since it wasn’t included in his text.

You know his cousin has died so just say what I said earlier. You don't have to mention the funeral.
Really? In all fairness he just turned sixteen in February and I am due to turn fourteen this upcoming june which technically makes us two years apart. Trust me I didn’t just see him and thought it’d be cool to date an older guy or anything. We have known each other for two years. It may seem like a big age difference now however if the relationship lasts (it will not most likely) but if it does then 24 and 27 doesn’t seem to be that big of an age difference.

A 24 and 27 year old are significantly more apt because it’s the same maturity scale. Thirteen year olds are significantly different to sixteen year olds due to being in different levels of adolescence. It’s not about ‘oh well the gap is fine bc this’ it’s about the fact you’re on completely different levels. He’s doing his GCSEs this year. Have you even chosen your options?
Reply 9
“I’m sorry to hear about your cousin. I don’t really know what I can say that can make the situation any better at this point, but know I care and if there is anyway at all that I can help you with, just say! Whether it be buying a card or listening to what you have to say. I’m always here for you, it’s my job to be supportive and make sure you are ok! Xx“ That is what I told him when he said his cousin died last week, is there anything else I really can say that isn’t repeating myself? When I text this he left me on read.
Yep! Classic Civ, History, Full RE, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I plan to do further maths however I need to place in top 75 to get in during the summer exams. Currently 64th however I want to get within the top 30 :biggrin:. Yeah, he is doing his GCSEs and I told him that after the Easter break I will be texting him less to give him space to revise :smile:
A 24 and 27 year old are significantly more apt because it’s the same maturity scale. Thirteen year olds are significantly different to sixteen year olds due to being in different levels of adolescence. It’s not about ‘oh well the gap is fine bc this’ it’s about the fact you’re on completely different levels. He’s doing his GCSEs this year. Have you even chosen your options?
Yep! Classic Civ, History, Full RE, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I plan to do further maths however I need to place in top 75 to get in during the summer exams. Currently 64th however I want to get within the top 30 :biggrin:. Yeah, he is doing his GCSEs and I told him that after the Easter break I will be texting him less to give him space to revise :smile:

So you’re a year 9...😳😳
Year 10 in my country while he is year 12.
So you’re a year 9...😳😳
Original post by Anonymous
Year 10 in my country while he is year 12.

That literally makes it no better but ok
😂😂 thanks
That literally makes it no better but ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending