My Sixth Form wouldn’t let me do a subject even though I met the entry requirements Watch

rileymoat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I originally wanted to do Biology, Chemistry and Politics at A Level, I got all the GCSE grades required to do these subjects, however when it came to results day they simply said I was only allowed to do one science instead of two. I told them for the course I want to do at university I needed two sciences to meet the entry requirements but they still wouldn’t let me do two. I ended up choosing Chemistry out of the two, but bitterly regret not doing biology, and I am hating English Language which I had to choose instead because of the awful option blocks they created for students to choose their options from. I’m now having to move colleges and restart year 12 so I can do my desired options. I was just wondering if they are allowed to do this and if I should take any further action against them?
louisvbird
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Did they give you a reason for not letting you? I'm not sure if you can take much further action. You could get your parents to complain to the head of Sixth Form? I'm curious as to know what the school is actually thinking.

I think changing colleges is a good choice because it's worth it to do what you really want.
humayun.h
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Change colleges
awkward1302
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That's so crazy that you weren't allowed to do more than one science??? Was that for you specifically or a general rule? What did u get in your sciences at GCSE if u don't mind saying? Also I'm SO jealous and happy for you that you get to start over how does that work lol I regret my choices so much I wish I could start again.
rileymoat
Rep:
?
(Original post by louisvbird)
Did they give you a reason for not letting you? I'm not sure if you can take much further action. You could get your parents to complain to the head of Sixth Form? I'm curious as to know what the school is actually thinking.

I think changing colleges is a good choice because it's worth it to do what you really want.
They just said that they were only letting students who got very top grades like 8s and 9s do two sciences even though their entry requirements clearly stated that you needed a six in the particular science and a 6 in maths to do any science. Unfortunately it’s the head of sixth form that made the decision to let me only do one science so I don’t really have anyone higher up than that to talk to about it.
rileymoat
Rep:
?
(Original post by awkward1302)
That's so crazy that you weren't allowed to do more than one science??? Was that for you specifically or a general rule? What did u get in your sciences at GCSE if u don't mind saying? Also I'm SO jealous and happy for you that you get to start over how does that work lol I regret my choices so much I wish I could start again.
Isn’t it just?! It was for anyone who got below an 8 really, there was quite a lot of people in my year in the same situation as me, just didn’t really make much sense because their entry requirements for all sciences were that you needed a 6 in the science and a 6 in maths. I got a 7 in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I basically just got in contact with another sixth form in my area and explained my situation to them and they said they’d be more than happy to let me move and do a better range of subjects, they’ve offered me Biology Chemistry and Psychology as well as doing an EPQ which is much better for university and the course I want to do over Chemistry, Politics and English Language. It also means I’ll do year 12 Chemistry twice so I’ll get double the revision!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads