The Student Room Group

One million marched, and 4.5million signatures...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
Parliament Square like Trafalgar Square is licensed for 20000. Trafalgar Square is thought to physically hold about 60000, so if you say the same number for Parliament Square, where were the other 940,000?

Densely packed along Parliament St, Whitehall, Cockspur St, Pall Mall, etc, right up until the end of Park Lane.

Also spread out into neighbouring streets, roads and parks.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
And, of course, you recognise the opposing side as well: Over ten million fewer people signed the petition to stop Brexit than voted against Brexit in the first place.

It is far from clear that all of them still want to Remain.

Of course. The whole point is that, three years on from the 2016 referendum, we don't know whether more people want to Leave the EU or Remain in the EU. Of the people we want to Leave, we don't know the terms on which they want to do so (no deal, May's deal, some other deal). In all senses, the wishes of the people are "far from clear".

That's exactly why I think the government needs to go back to the people and ask them, with a referendum that is binding (not just advisory), whose result can be implemented as soon as it is known.

What shouldn't happen is people opposing a referendum on the basis that "as a Leaver, I narrowly won it last time, I don't want another one because I'm pretty sure I'll lose it this time". The result of this attitude will be that we will Leave the EU (whether the majority still want it or not), and the government/parliament will impose a particular type of Brexit upon us (whether the majority are happy with it or not).
Original post by SHallowvale
Densely packed along Parliament St, Whitehall, Cockspur St, Pall Mall, etc, right up until the end of Park Lane.

Also spread out into neighbouring streets, roads and parks.

Still never anywhere near the million mark though, have you ever been to Wembley and see the crowds leaving that stretch the full length of the much wider Wembley Way? That can last for an hour or more too and that is only 90k people.
Original post by ColinDent
Still never anywhere near the million mark though, have you ever been to Wembley and see the crowds leaving that stretch the full length of the much wider Wembley Way? That can last for an hour or more too and that is only 90k people.

Wembley Way is a lot shorter in length than the route the People's Vote march took.
Wembley Way is a lot shorter in length than the route the People's Vote march took.

And wider, also a substantial amount of those attending do not use Wembley Way to exit so the actual number on there after a match/ gig would be, and I'm being generous here, 70k.
Park lane to parliament Square, via Pall mall is approximately 3 miles, Wembley Way is 0.7 miles, the sums still don't add up.
p.s. not all of the 70k can fit on at the same time hence it taking up to, and sometimes more than, an hour to clear.
And wider, also a substantial amount of those attending do not use Wembley Way to exit so the actual number on there after a match/ gig would be, and I'm being generous here, 70k.
Park lane to parliament Square, via Pall mall is approximately 3 miles, Wembley Way is 0.7 miles, the sums still don't add up.
p.s. not all of the 70k can fit on at the same time hence it taking up to, and sometimes more than, an hour to clear.

The People's Vote march happened for a lot long than an hour and people had to spill out onto nearby roads/lanes because there wasn't enough space to fit everyone along the intended route.
The People's Vote march happened for a lot long than an hour and people had to spill out onto nearby roads/lanes because there wasn't enough space to fit everyone along the intended route.

It did but I've watched the video on the BBC website and the line was pretty much where I stated, therefore about 3 miles or so, doesn't matter how long the march lasted it's the length of the queue of said march on which I'm basing my opinion, I'd guess maybe 300-400k which isn't a negligible amount but nothing like 1m
When you grow up you will have the benifits of life experiences also.
Original post by Couragenh
So one million marched and 4.5million people signed the petition in the course of a few days...That's a huge number. But, why should we take that number seriously, but not the 17.4 million who voted Leave in a single day?

Aww because they are educated clever people, not a load of leave idiots.

Plus the million marchers and 4.5 million signatures includes underage immature children also, of course we should listen to some fortnight playing kids on the internet and not people who have paid into the system all their lives, gain tonnes of valuable life experience and created wealth.... Silly
It did but I've watched the video on the BBC website and the line was pretty much where I stated, therefore about 3 miles or so, doesn't matter how long the march lasted it's the length of the queue of said march on which I'm basing my opinion, I'd guess maybe 300-400k which isn't a negligible amount but nothing like 1m

The line kept moving. I started at around 1pm at the back of the line and walked all the way up to Parliament. Meanwhile loads of new people started to collect behind me.
The line kept moving. I started at around 1pm at the back of the line and walked all the way up to Parliament. Meanwhile loads of new people started to collect behind me.

Again I have seen the video.
Again I have seen the video.

And I was there?

To check, are you talking about this footage? This is 9 minutes worth of real time footage reduced to just 90 seconds.
And I was there?

To check, are you talking about this footage? This is 9 minutes worth of real time footage reduced to just 90 seconds.

That's the one I'm basing it on, about 3 miles or so.
That's the one I'm basing it on, about 3 miles or so.

Er, okay? So what?
I think it's great all these traitors are making themselves known, for a future brexit regime.
Original post by tazarooni89
Of course. The whole point is that, three years on from the 2016 referendum, we don't know whether more people want to Leave the EU or Remain in the EU. Of the people we want to Leave, we don't know the terms on which they want to do so (no deal, May's deal, some other deal). In all senses, the wishes of the people are "far from clear".

That's exactly why I think the government needs to go back to the people and ask them, with a referendum that is binding (not just advisory), whose result can be implemented as soon as it is known.

What shouldn't happen is people opposing a referendum on the basis that "as a Leaver, I narrowly won it last time, I don't want another one because I'm pretty sure I'll lose it this time". The result of this attitude will be that we will Leave the EU (whether the majority still want it or not), and the government/parliament will impose a particular type of Brexit upon us (whether the majority are happy with it or not).

I think this is a good point. I have some concerns, but the overarching theory I accept.

1) I have no idea how having a referendum like that would work. Is it a flat in/out?(We're in the same situation that we're in now, with a government that seems to have no idea what it's doing). Is it a set of choices for what we would accept?(Unlikely to get a majority for anything, then, as everyone wants something different).

2) How does this impact other votes? If we vote to stay, do we simply have a vote to leave in another few years? If we vote to leave and the government drags its feet again, do we vote to stay again in another few years? What about other things that the government takes its time on?

My druthers would be to have an open forum on how best to leave and what precautions we should take. I want to know what people envision for Britain as a future. Frankly, the biggest issue I have with this whole thing is the lack of any real vision for the future of Britain.
And I was there?

A quick bit of maths tells me that even if the protestors were queued up for 5 miles, which they weren't, you would have had to be 133 across for there to be 1m of you, now I'm pretty certain that you can't stand 133 people side by side across any of the thoroughfares in which you were protesting.
A quick bit of maths tells me that even if the protestors were queued up for 5 miles, which they weren't, you would have had to be 133 across for there to be 1m of you, now I'm pretty certain that you can't stand 133 people side by side across any of the thoroughfares in which you were protesting.

The last march they said there was 700,000 but the council said 250,000 so they have form on lying.
because the government lied

Er, how have you worked that out, exactly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending