GcookieY
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey i got offers to do HPE in UCL, PP in LSE and PPE in Kings /Warwick but i'm really stumped. I love economics and i cant choose between UCL and Warwick namely. I need to choose between a university which is more recognised for a second choice course or a less-well known good university. As a frustrated international student any advice at all would be great :/
Last edited by GcookieY; 3 years ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GcookieY)
Hey i got offers to do HPE in UCL, PP in LSE and PPE in Kings /Warwick but i'm really stumped. I love economics and i cant choose between UCL and Warwick namely. I need to choose between a university which is more recognised for a second choice course or a less-well known good university. As a frustrated international student any advice at all would be great :/
It's worth noting HPE at UCL is offered through and wholly taught by SSEES, and not the respective History/Politics/Economics departments. As such you aren't associated with or borrowing from the strengths of any of those three more well known and stronger departments, and if you aren't particularly interested in Eastern Europe specifically you may find the range of options less appealing. I believe some former students have commented negatively on life in SSEES although this may arguably be no better or worse than any department at any university. Obviously another major difference is you'll be studying history (albeit via SSEES) and not philosophy; this may be more or less desirable to you.

Skimming the programme regulations it looks as though you can take up to two external modules in years 2 and 3 of PP at LSE, which may be economics modules with permission. While obviously this is considerably less extensive than on a PPE course, if you are very interested in political theory and philosophy and wanted economics more as a framework to help you analyse issues in that realm then that may be suitable. However since you've indicated you are mainly interested in economics, this might be less suitable depending on what your interest in economics is and to what end you hope to pursue that.

Warwick and KCL are to my knowledge both well regarded for PPE. I would recommend you look through the programme structures and indicative module options to see which might cater to your interests better. KCL I believe has (historically, at least) had some strengths in political economy to my knowledge, and their philosophy department is quite well regarded (in comparison to Warwick; LSE is stronger I believe in general for philosophy, as well as for a few more specific areas of philosophy). Warwick is to my knowledge well regarded for economics but I'm not aware of any particular strengths in politics or philosophy (although this doesn't suggest a weakness specifically in those areas).

Outside of the particular courses, consider what you would be hoping to do after the course. If you are wanting to continue into academia, then the above merits some particular attention. If you are hoping to convert your undergraduate study into a position in e.g. banking and/or financial services, then the content of your degree is more or less irrelevant compared to how well regarded that university is by recruiters. For anything outside of those areas the field is a lot more even and so it'll really be down to which course you like the best and where you'd be happy to spend three years of your life!

In terms of student life and living environment the major consideration is London vs Warwick; the London unis are probably going to broadly comparable, whereas Warwick is a different environment being a campus uni, and students normally "commute" from the nearby Royal Leamington Spa from second year onward, which will be something of a different experience (and may be less appealing). People seem to have a fairly binary response to the campus itself, either liking it quite a bit or (perhaps more commonly) hating it, on aesthetic grounds at least. If you're a "city person" you might not enjoy the Warwick experience so much, but for people who are from smaller cities and towns London can be a lot to take in. It's really quite a personal matter on that front.

LeapingLucy studies History and Government at LSE (I think?!) and might be able to give more of an insight into the politics side of PP there (and perhaps the likelihood of taking economics optional modules?) as well as more general aspects of life at LSE
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 years ago
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
As Artful_lounger has said, the HPE course at UCL is a course about Eastern Europe. Unless that's a region you're massively interested in, I would not choose that course.

Given that Economics is something you know you want to study, in your position I would choose the PPE course at Warwick. Warwick is an amazing place to study Econ, and the PPE course there is really well regarded.

Having had a quick look at the PP course structure at LSE, it offers only one outside option in the third year, which would close off the possibility of taking Econ outside options (you're not really supposed to take first year modules in third year, and you can't do any of the second/third year Econ modules without first taking the first year one)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (29)
26.13%
As I expected (37)
33.33%
Harder (38)
34.23%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads