The Student Room Group

Interview at Wetherspoons (bar staff)

If anyone works at Wetherspoons or has been to interview - any advice ?
Bump
Bump
Reply 3
mostly just to not go lol :biggrin: i worked there for 5 months last year and was extremely happy to quit.

The job itself was fairly enjoyable as I like customer service and don't mid tidying up but there were times where I was scheduled to start at 7.30pm and was asked to just sit and wait in the tiny basement staff room because it wasn't busy enough for me to go out and help - sometimes it was 20mins, sometimes it was 2hrs (mind you, I was already there (so nobody phoned me in advance to say to come in a bit later and respect my time), I lost precious time working on assignments etc.).

There were weeks when i did 8hrs and there were weeks when i did 28hrs - all on top of uni work and they would not take no for an answer.

Then if you were on closes, the cleaning work was very extensive and took hours - I was sweating and my back was proper aching, definitely a good workout. After that they hurry you to clock out and then make you wait around for about an hour while they count the tills (to make sure it's all correct before letting you leave) aka you lose another hour of precious sleep at around 4am.

also i used to think wow, being paid 8.15 (im over 21 and this was after 6 weeks) was really good until i realised most of my shifts are from 9pm to 5 am and those are technically nightly rates (there's jobs that pay much much higher wages between 11pm and 7am i believe) aaaaand on top of that i lost 1 hr waiting and another 8 quid a night to get a taxi back home.

on the positive note, the 25% food discount was very nice, most colleagues were also good fun as well as dancing behind the bar took place fairly often while walking to get glasses or drinks (it was a lloyds bar), and i got my first bartending experience there which is a nice addition to any students CV who wants to do some casual work over summer etc.

Overall though, there's more bad than good. as for the interview, if you google it, there should be a document somewhere and they used exactly that to ask me questions. people come and go super quick so you shouldn't have too many problems with it. good luck on whatever you decide on
Original post by pandoma
mostly just to not go lol :biggrin: i worked there for 5 months last year and was extremely happy to quit.

The job itself was fairly enjoyable as I like customer service and don't mid tidying up but there were times where I was scheduled to start at 7.30pm and was asked to just sit and wait in the tiny basement staff room because it wasn't busy enough for me to go out and help - sometimes it was 20mins, sometimes it was 2hrs (mind you, I was already there (so nobody phoned me in advance to say to come in a bit later and respect my time), I lost precious time working on assignments etc.).

There were weeks when i did 8hrs and there were weeks when i did 28hrs - all on top of uni work and they would not take no for an answer.

Then if you were on closes, the cleaning work was very extensive and took hours - I was sweating and my back was proper aching, definitely a good workout. After that they hurry you to clock out and then make you wait around for about an hour while they count the tills (to make sure it's all correct before letting you leave) aka you lose another hour of precious sleep at around 4am.

also i used to think wow, being paid 8.15 (im over 21 and this was after 6 weeks) was really good until i realised most of my shifts are from 9pm to 5 am and those are technically nightly rates (there's jobs that pay much much higher wages between 11pm and 7am i believe) aaaaand on top of that i lost 1 hr waiting and another 8 quid a night to get a taxi back home.

on the positive note, the 25% food discount was very nice, most colleagues were also good fun as well as dancing behind the bar took place fairly often while walking to get glasses or drinks (it was a lloyds bar), and i got my first bartending experience there which is a nice addition to any students CV who wants to do some casual work over summer etc.

Overall though, there's more bad than good. as for the interview, if you google it, there should be a document somewhere and they used exactly that to ask me questions. people come and go super quick so you shouldn't have too many problems with it. good luck on whatever you decide on

I’m sure not all pubs are like that though ? Surely they’re not all that bad, maybe it was just the one you were in
Reply 5
haha i'm just saying mate, tim martin is gonna make you work for that money regardless
Original post by pandoma
haha i'm just saying mate, tim martin is gonna make you work for that money regardless

I can't find the document you said about, so do you remember many of the questions they asked you? Also what is the 100 club? Is it still a thing there, I've seen about it when researching

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending