The Student Room Group

4 A-levels or 3 A-levels and an EPQ or IB for medicine?

Would it be better to do 4 A-levels or 3 A-levels and an EPQ or IB for medicine?
Reply 1
It's a bit of a moot question because neither are necessary at all. It should be instead, would you rather do 4 A-levels or 3 A-levels and an EPQ?
And to that I would recommend doing the EPQ, because you can show your interest in the field more directly with that than you could with doing an extra A-level.
I would recommend starting with 4 A levels and then dropping down to 3 A Levels if there’s one you’re particularly not good at or don’t like
To be honest, it doesn't really matter. A lot of places ignore fourth a-levels, and many aren't bothered by the EPQ.

You should take a look at some of the universities you want to go to. Some may make reduced offers if you get a high grade in your EPQ. Some may only want you to get three A's and so doing four would just be extra workload for you. The most important thing to focus on is getting work experience in a health care environment; everyone applying to medicine is amazing academically, so they'll make final decisions based off your other skills and your ability to prove you have them... if that makes sense?
My son is in his second year doing Oxford medicine. Definitely 3 A levels, as they want quality, not quantity. You can spend that extra time doing medical reading. Definitely EPQ. They asked my son which was the last paper he read for his EPQ and he was able to speak eloquently and talk about very recent research. Inspire yourself by working in a residential home, or listening to medical developments on Radio 4, watching a documentary (there was a great one about Parkinsons recently) or going to Cambridge science week (medical day). The more obscure the subject the better. Then get some cheap books on Amazon. Join your local med school library, using a permission letter from your parents and some ID. You cannot borrow the books but you can download all the research papers. That will give you the most up to date, cutting edge info. EPQs are excellent as it shows you have intellectual curiosity, can research on your own and have individual thoughts.
Original post by afrin02
Would it be better to do 4 A-levels or 3 A-levels and an EPQ or IB for medicine?
Reply 5
Original post by Oxford Mum
My son is in his second year doing Oxford medicine. Definitely 3 A levels, as they want quality, not quantity. You can spend that extra time doing medical reading. Definitely EPQ. They asked my son which was the last paper he read for his EPQ and he was able to speak eloquently and talk about very recent research. Inspire yourself by working in a residential home, or listening to medical developments on Radio 4, watching a documentary (there was a great one about Parkinsons recently) or going to Cambridge science week (medical day). The more obscure the subject the better. Then get some cheap books on Amazon. Join your local med school library, using a permission letter from your parents and some ID. You cannot borrow the books but you can download all the research papers. That will give you the most up to date, cutting edge info. EPQs are excellent as it shows you have intellectual curiosity, can research on your own and have individual thoughts.

Wow, thanks for the advice and congrats to your son!! Medicine at Oxford is honestly my dream :smile:
I am writing a book about getting into Oxford, as I have helped several people. My son is writing a chapter about getting in for medicine in the summer, but in the meantime I wrote one about how I helped him. Do you want it?
Original post by afrin02
Wow, thanks for the advice and congrats to your son!! Medicine at Oxford is honestly my dream :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest