Beware the legal issues behind converting religion in a relationship

Watch
zacsaturday
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I do believe that this is rather important for people to know; especially if they are not accustomed to things outside of the UK. I knew that the outside of the UK, certain religions in some countries had different legal systems, but I never really thought through what kind of impacts that could have really. Generally since, as a guy, I'm quite well off regardless of which religion I follow.

In the answer below, it should be noted that this is included even on tourists I believe. (As in, you could be travelling to japan or something, and stop off in India, where you would then be screwed if your boyfriend/husband didn't like you)

A read of this quora answer kind of gave me the chills. (and some of the comments):
https://www.quora.com/My-boyfriend-i...1203&srid=SQcs

(If the link doesn't work, open it twice, and the "Login" page should go away, but if not, there is a summary below which contains all of the information)

Edit: Summary of Quora Link:

marriage is not merely an emotional relationship between two persons but a legal contract. And that latter part has significant ramifications.

marriage laws in India discriminate legally when it comes to Muslim women versus men. And I don’t need to tell you who gets the worse end of the deal. In such critical matters as divorce, child custody and inheritance.

Some key ones in India:

"Talaq (divorce) allows Muslim men to legally divorce his wife by stating the word talaq three times with 3 months period between all three, orally.”

A son gets double the share of the daughter wherever they inherit together.

The wife gets one-eighth of the share if there are children and one-fourth of the share if there are no children.

At that point then, she would essentially be living at the pleasure of her husband. No matter how kind or well-intentioned he may be, the very nature of the relationship would be messed up.

Firstly, she could never know when his mind might change. That will always be in the back of both of their heads in any argument or fight. That he could ruin her life if he so pleases, divorce her by merely saying the word three times. And her goose would be cooked. No, she wouldn’t be able to do the same. If she wanted to break it off it would be harder. Much harder.

Secondly and worse still than the first point, this would not be relationship of equals. Not with that kind of imbalance in power. That union at its very birth is lop-sided in terms of rights and powers of one partner over the other.

It’s like no matter how friendly my boss may be to me, I know that there are certain liberties which I cannot take with him which I could with friends outside my workplace - because he can fire me. He can then say all he likes “Allen, be honest with me, we’re like friends. You can speak your mind openly.”

Won’t happen.

If I were even your closest friend and asked you to accompany me into a land where the laws stated that I could harm you if I so pleased but you would have no recourse by law, would you come with me? No matter how kind you think I am, will it not give you pause? The moment we crossed the border into that land, would the very nature of our relationship not get altered because we’re not equals anymore in the eyes of the law. No matter how much I may assure you, your mind would never be at rest simply knowing what I could do to you on the turn of a dime.
Last edited by zacsaturday; 2 years ago
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zacsaturday)
I do believe that this is rather important for people to know; especially if they are not accustomed to things outside of the UK. I knew that the outside of the UK, certain religions in some countries had different legal systems, but I never really thought through what kind of impacts that could have really. Generally since, as a guy, I'm quite well off regardless of which religion I follow.

In the answer below, it should be noted that this is included even on tourists I believe. (As in, you could be travelling to japan or something, and stop off in India, where you would then be screwed if your boyfriend/husband didn't like you)

A read of this quora answer kind of gave me the chills. (and some of the comments):
https://www.quora.com/My-boyfriend-i...1203&srid=SQcs
I was going to read the link, but it wanted me to sign in or sign up, so I didn't. Could you give a summary of the topic?
zacsaturday
Rep:
Sorry about that, I forgot that Quora just doesn't work unless you can open it twice. But I have edited the original post with some extracts that contain all of the information.
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I was going to read the link, but it wanted me to sign in or sign up, so I didn't. Could you give a summary of the topic?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zacsaturday)
Sorry about that, I forgot that Quora just doesn't work unless you can open it twice. But I have edited the original post with some extracts that contain all of the information.
Ah okay, interesting. Would have been good if in your title you specified it's just for marriage in Islam. I'm an atheist and my boyfriend is Mormon so I thought this would be more interesting unfortunately :/
zacsaturday
Rep:
I mean, if Mormon was more common (as in, common enough to influence a country) then I'm sure it would be a thing. Besides, the post above is only for Muslims because it is arguably the worst example (putting aside the ones no one practices anymore - I'm looking at you, Mayans )
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Ah okay, interesting. Would have been good if in your title you specified it's just for marriage in Islam. I'm an atheist and my boyfriend is Mormon so I thought this would be more interesting unfortunately :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
7.2%
October 2021 (116)
49.15%
November 2021 (23)
9.75%
December 2021 (31)
13.14%
January 2021 (21)
8.9%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (22)
9.32%