OCR GCSE Latin J282/012 2019 [Exam Discussion] Watch

diyabatra
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
salve everyone !! couldn't find an ocr gcse latin thread for this year so i thought i'd make one.

you can reply to this with which prose and verse texts you're doing ! i'm doing the druids and boudicca for prose, and the aeneid books 4 and 6 for verse.

also, if anyone has any revision tips for latin please let us know !
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Done the GCSE last year, with the exact same texts as yourself. Good luck; any questions don't hesitate to ask.
M.EW14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Does anyone have any notes on Boudica and Druids? Or a summary of each as I struggle to understand what is happening in them. Thanks
LiamGor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
hey - I have a Mock for the Druid’s and Boudica texts in a few weeks. I was wondering, do you remember what the questions for that paper was, if there’s any tips for them? Much appreciated!
diyabatra
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by LiamGor)
hey - I have a Mock for the Druid’s and Boudica texts in a few weeks. I was wondering, do you remember what the questions for that paper was, if there’s any tips for them? Much appreciated!
hey! i did that mock in january - if you're doing last year's paper, then your translation bit starts off about suetonius and the 14th legion and the 10 marker is 'how are britons are presented?' my tip is just memorise the texts as fully as you can and learn some style notes because you will be asked about them a lot! good luck
ThunderBeard
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Same ones
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by diyabatra)
hey! i did that mock in january - if you're doing last year's paper, then your translation bit starts off about suetonius and the 14th legion and the 10 marker is 'how are britons are presented?' my tip is just memorise the texts as fully as you can and learn some style notes because you will be asked about them a lot! good luck
Strongly agree; knowing the text inside out should be first priority. Then treat it like an English language passage if need be.
KateR03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Any tips on ten markers, I'm really struggling with them? I'm doing those texts as well!
lizzie026
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
does anyone have a login I can use to acsess the Zig Zag Aeneid resources
Our school no longer pays for them
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by KateR03)
Any tips on ten markers, I'm really struggling with them? I'm doing those texts as well!
Treat it like English Literature; try to identify thematic links, and show to the examiner that you know the WHOLE story well - whilst you don't have to have quotes, I found it helped to create a 'cohesive' response - try, if you can, to make reference to each part of the story, beginning, middle and end - and show progression throughout.
PirateRachael
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’m doing Dido and Aeneas (starts with Aeneas being out of his mind and then telling Dido he’s going to Italy). Is anyone else doing this? Do you have good notes?
stephanieraine
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey for the Language paper, my teacher has been telling us that we can answer both question 10 and question 11 as she went on a course where the examiner told them that people would mark both and give the student the highest mark out of the two questions. Has anyone else been told this because I'm nervous to answer both questions in case the examiner decides not to mark either? x
diyabatra
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by stephanieraine)
Hey for the Language paper, my teacher has been telling us that we can answer both question 10 and question 11 as she went on a course where the examiner told them that people would mark both and give the student the highest mark out of the two questions. Has anyone else been told this because I'm nervous to answer both questions in case the examiner decides not to mark either? x
hey, yeah i was told this by my teacher as well, you can answer both the english to latin translation and the grammar questions x
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
hey, yeah i was told this by my teacher as well, you can answer both the english to latin translation and the grammar questions x
Name:  chrome_2019-05-01_17-35-57.png
Views: 262
Size:  46.5 KB

Correct. Above is from the OCR's Examiners' Report - although when I did the GCSE last year, I didn't bother.
stephanieraine
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
thank you, it's good to hear it from the exam board themselves x
(Original post by ns_2)
Name:  chrome_2019-05-01_17-35-57.png
Views: 262
Size:  46.5 KB

Correct. Above is from the OCR's Examiners' Report - although when I did the GCSE last year, I didn't bother.
PirateRachael
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
How’s everybody doing with the lit + culture paper? We haven’t finished entertainment yet but it’s v interesting.
LiamGor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My teacher said I could do this as well but she said it’s probably best to do the one you know you will get most marks on and keep your time for the translation or checking through the paper.

diyabatra
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
how is everyone feeling about language on monday ?? it's my first exam so i am HELLA nervous
stephanieraine
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
me too, i'm so nervous. we did a practice language paper the other day in school and we've never done a full one before so i'm worried because i found it really hard.
how is everyone feeling about language on monday ?? it's my first exam so i am HELLA nervous
Oki.m
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
hey I'm also nervous for Monday ... I've done 3 exams already though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (99)
49.5%
No (101)
50.5%

Watched Threads