The Student Room Group

MTG: War of the Spark

Following on from the immense success and popularity of my previous MTG thread: next up is War of the Spark! :coma: Releasing on the 3rd of May, prereleasing on the 27th of April, and pre-prereleasing on the 25th of April (on MTG Arena only).

While it's still too early for spoilers of any actual cards, we do now know that there are going to be 36 Planeswalkers, and one in every booster pack! :zomg: Full list here, along with pretty stained glass-effect promo images.

Presumably this means that we'll be seeing some non-mythic Planeswalkers for the first time (excluding Lorwyn, but that was only because mythic rares hadn't been introduced yet), otherwise the rest of the set would just be uncommons and commons. Plus I imagine they'll want the 'main characters' of the story (Nicol Bolas and the Gatewatch members) to be a bit rarer than the rest.
Either way, I'm looking forward to there finally being a Standard-legal Chandra that's (hopefully) worth playing! :yay:
Who else is looking forward to the 81st Magic expansion, and what are you hoping to see from it? :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Following on from the immense success and popularity of my previous MTG thread: next up is War of the Spark! :coma: Releasing on the 3rd of May, prereleasing on the 27th of April, and pre-prereleasing on the 25th of April (on MTG Arena only).

While it's still too early for spoilers of any actual cards, we do now know that...

Spoiler

Who else is looking forward to the 81st Magic expansion, and what are you hoping to see from it? :biggrin:

Firstly, I've been absence from many things for quite a few months (TSR and MTG included :colondollar:) so excuse my naivety :redface: But, the last MTG forum was popular? :love:

And yeah I havent played MTG since trying to get GF moving over from Netherlands and moving my new house.
But, 36 planeswalkers and 1 in every pack?!? That sounds chaotic and fun haha
I better keep an eye out on mythicspoliers for details :biggrin:

Gonna need to update my Arena too so I can play when not around the local store :h:
Oh go on then, I might as well edit the thread label to allow for untagged spoilers. :wink:

Original post by Kraggor
Firstly, I've been absence from many things for quite a few months (TSR and MTG included :colondollar:) so excuse my naivety :redface: But, the last MTG forum was popular? :love:

And yeah I havent played MTG since trying to get GF moving over from Netherlands and moving my new house.
But, 36 planeswalkers and 1 in every pack?!? That sounds chaotic and fun haha
I better keep an eye out on mythicspoliers for details :biggrin:

Gonna need to update my Arena too so I can play when not around the local store :h:

My previous thread was such a success, it had one reply, and that was about Yu-Gi-Oh! :p: So this one's already doing far better. :giggle: I joke about the popularity of my threads to keep myself sane. :yes:

Regardless, a set as radically different as this deserves a thread. Mechanics aside, it's the big finale to a storyline which has been building up for years before I got back into the game. And just imagine: 3 Planeswalkers in each draft. 5 in sealed constructed. I can't wait to see what else the design team are putting into the set to make this work without breaking Standard! :laugh:
(edited 5 years ago)
Started playing mtg recently and build a mono white deck mixing warriors and angels. The idea is to spam weak warriors and protect them with cheap counter that get warriors in the discard pile untill I can get glorys rise and gisla broken blade out and bring em all back. I need to find a local group that plays more though
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Oh go on then, I might as well edit the thread label to allow for untagged spoilers. :wink:

My previous thread was such a success, it had one reply, and that was about Yu-Gi-Oh! :p: So this one's already doing far better. :giggle: I joke about the popularity of my threads to keep myself sane. :yes:

Regardless, a set as radically different as this deserves a thread. Mechanics aside, it's the big finale to a storyline which has been building up for years before I got back into the game. And just imagine: 3 Planeswalkers in each draft. 5 in sealed constructed. I can't wait to see what else the design team are putting into the set to make this work without breaking Standard! :laugh:

Oh haha well then, lets see if we can make it 1 reply more popular this time :tongue: so what were we talking about? Pokemon trading cards? :biggrin:

Tbh I really like your threads, they may not be the most popular but I love the reads and you put alot of effort into them or at least the presentation is good (Love your 500 word reviews :h: )

Ill have to read into it when I go home but have they revealed the new mechanic keywords yet? If so, enlighten me :eek:

Honestly sounds insane :crazy:Usually, always waiting to see who pulls the planeswalker at our store but this time it's just going to be who gets the coolest or best one haha
Definitely going to make some of the recent 'Destroy' Keywords for planeswalker or/only become alot stronger (if the planeswalker end up being actually any good) either way defo gonna have to attend alot more drafts again.
Holy moly, this is amazing. I wonder who or what Davrial Cane, Narest, and Teyo Varada are? Are they obscure characters from Magic's long history, or are they being introduced in this set?
Original post by Kraggor
Oh haha well then, lets see if we can make it 1 reply more popular this time :tongue: so what were we talking about? Pokemon trading cards? :biggrin:

Tbh I really like your threads, they may not be the most popular but I love the reads and you put alot of effort into them or at least the presentation is good (Love your 500 word reviews :h: )

Ill have to read into it when I go home but have they revealed the new mechanic keywords yet? If so, enlighten me :eek:

Honestly sounds insane :crazy:Usually, always waiting to see who pulls the planeswalker at our store but this time it's just going to be who gets the coolest or best one haha
Definitely going to make some of the recent 'Destroy' Keywords for planeswalker or/only become alot stronger (if the planeswalker end up being actually any good) either way defo gonna have to attend alot more drafts again.

I dunno about limited, but at least Bedevil is already in the Standard card pool. Attrition decks will be able to defend themselves from the incoming flood of planeswalkers. Also I bet only a fraction of these guys will be at all playable.
Reply 7
Original post by Guru Jason
Started playing mtg recently and build a mono white deck mixing warriors and angels. The idea is to spam weak warriors and protect them with cheap counter that get warriors in the discard pile untill I can get glorys rise and gisla broken blade out and bring em all back. I need to find a local group that plays more though

Sounds good man! :h: Always loved my angels (Glad some of them started coming back more recently). Ive always been a black/whatever player :tongue: Demons is what got me into magic in the first place :colone:

Not sure if you have done already, but if you want to find a local group. Trying using http://locator.wizards.com/ to find your local store. Usually the community is very friendly, ours is especially friendly to newcomers :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I dunno about limited, but at least Bedevil is already in the Standard card pool. Attrition decks will be able to defend themselves from the incoming flood of planeswalkers. Also I bet only a fraction of these guys will be at all playable.

yeah unfortunately ive been absent from MTG since beginning of last year (went for a peek at my store half way through last year though) so not ware of current pool rotations plus im a limited only player usually (unless with friends).

But, yeah exactly. last time I played there were quite a few choice cards with destroy planeswalker so I could see if they are good quality planewalkers to see alot of control decks (maybe some grixis as that was strong last time i played) come back.

Im just excited to open that prerelease sealed box and a fresh round of draft for the first time in agesss. As much as I love playing MTG arena or MTG online there is nothing like that physical pack feel and smell haha :biggrin:
Original post by Kraggor
Sounds good man! :h: Always loved my angels (Glad some of them started coming back more recently). Ive always been a black/whatever player :tongue: Demons is what got me into magic in the first place :colone:

Not sure if you have done already, but if you want to find a local group. Trying using http://locator.wizards.com/ to find your local store. Usually the community is very friendly, ours is especially friendly to newcomers :smile:

I just looked through the lists of cards and with the help from a Pokemon discord server I'm on, made a deck. There was 2 cards (armoursmith and blacksmith I think) I like which one a 2/3 and the other a 3/2 which one gives plus 1 to attack and the the other plus 1 to defence. So if you get out like 5 or 6 of an they stack I think. And then if they all get killed, Glory rise brings them all back which I like.

If I was to post the deck list, could someone give me feed back?
I just looked through the lists of cards and with the help from a Pokemon discord server I'm on, made a deck. There was 2 cards (armoursmith and blacksmith I think) I like which one a 2/3 and the other a 3/2 which one gives plus 1 to attack and the the other plus 1 to defence. So if you get out like 5 or 6 of an they stack I think. And then if they all get killed, Glory rise brings them all back which I like.

If I was to post the deck list, could someone give me feed back?

Huh didnt think a pokemon discord server would have been your help :smile: Thats cool though. Sounds like you got a nice aggro mono deck with some midgame tempo and then your angel to end game bomb with all your creatures coming back to the board.

I havent played recently but Im more than happy to go through and take a look. (Im not that great at constructed, im more of a limited player (where you get given random cards from a bunch of packs or have to pick one at a time from packs)
Put definitely post and I can give my opinion plus maybe someone else here with more recent constructed knowledge can be helpful too.

Always feel free to also post on one of the MTG forum sites too :h:
ok so my deck consists of monsters,
3x elite vanguard (easy spammable 1 mana cost)
3x benevolent bodyguard, for protection
3x unruly mob for token spam, I believe procs off bodyguards effect
3 topan freeblade, I like vigilance and can be boosted by following cards,
3 x veteran armoursmith, for buffs
3x veteran swordsmith, even MOAR buffs
1x Emeria Angel
2x Gisla the broken blade, love this card. flying, first strike and lifelink is yummy
2x Serra angel
1x Angel of glories rise, for bringing back every human card, so literally every non angel card here with all their buffs

sorcery, instant and enchantments
2x declaration in stone,
2 x swords into ploughshares
3x emerge unscathed, love this protection card
2 x abolish
3x nimbus wings
2 x authority of the consuls.

rest are lands. Any feedback from anyone would be very appreciated as im a real novice.
(edited 5 years ago)
3x unruly mob for token spam
1x Emeria Angel
2x Gisla the broken blade, love this card. flying, first strike and lifelink is yummy
2x Serra angel
1x Angel of glories rise, for bringing back every human card, so literally every non angel card here with all their buffs

2x declaration in stone,
2 x abolish
3x nimbus wings

rest are lands. Any feedback from anyone would be very appreciated as im a real novice.

Cool, thanks for the list.

Im currently at work, but once I finally get home and after dinner Ill look up the cards and see what I think :smile: My opinion might be off a lil bit due to my limited nature but ill try remember back constructed decks haha :h:
Original post by Kraggor

Many thanks for the positive feedback! And wow, this one picked up while I was away for an hour or so! :zomg:

No keywords yet, to my knowledge. :nah:

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Holy moly, this is amazing. I wonder who or what Davrial Cane, Narest, and Teyo Varada are? Are they obscure characters from Magic's long history, or are they being introduced in this set?

The page I linked to has a few typos it seems: they'd be Davriel Cane, Narset and Teyo Verada (who is actually new, I think).
Many thanks for the positive feedback! And wow, this one picked up while I was away for an hour or so! :zomg:

No keywords yet, to my knowledge. :nah:

Maybe you just needed me to be your promoter :wink: hehe :tongue:
Kraggor to the rescue! :woo: (*cough* Make him Gaming CA *cough*)

Ah okay, Ill just keep an eye out on youtube (love me some dev and limitedresources)
Once I get back up to speed and everything and update and find my account, we must have a game sometime
3x unruly mob for token spam, I believe procs off bodyguards effect
1x Emeria Angel
2x Serra angel

2x declaration in stone,
2 x abolish
3x nimbus wings

I can't help much as a Standard player, I'm afraid. I recognise Serra Angel, that's about it. :o:

My own mono-white 'Catbois and Angels' deck:

Spoiler

Far from perfect, I could do with more Ajanis and Lyras, but I'm a lowly free-to-play Arena peasant who just fills in the gaps with cheap replacements. :giggle:
(edited 5 years ago)
I can't help much as a Standard player, I'm afraid. I recognise Serra Angel, that's about it. :o:

My own mono-white 'Catbois and Angels' deck:

Spoiler

Far from perfect, I could do with more Ajanis and Lyras, but I'm a lowly free-to-play Arena peasant who just fills in the gaps with cheap replacements. :giggle:

looked some of those angel cards up and I may look at those. for myself. When you say 'standard', I assume that means you adhere to a banlist?
Original post by Kraggor
Maybe you just needed me to be your promoter :wink: hehe :tongue:
Kraggor to the rescue! :woo: (*cough* Make him Gaming CA *cough*)

Ah okay, Ill just keep an eye out on youtube (love me some dev and limitedresources)
Once I get back up to speed and everything and update and find my account, we must have a game sometime

I could always use more help in Gaming, officially or otherwise. :p:

Tolarian Community College is my go-to Youtube channel for MTG. Haven't looked at many others, but I like that guy's clear explanations (former university lecturer, and it shows), plus his goofy sense of humor. :giggle:

Definitely up for a game at some point. :five: Though I might be busy for the last few days of March, as I desperately try to brute force my way into Mythic. Or ruin my decks' win-lose ratios trying. :awesome:
looked some of those angel cards up and I may look at those. for myself. When you say 'standard', I assume that means you adhere to a banlist?

Standard is the use of a pre-constructed deck but only with cards from the most recent sets.

There are other pre-constructed decks that use older sets but are more costly and advanced.

Then you have 'should be everyones' favourite limited format :biggrin:
Draft makes you pick a card from a pack and rotate it around until 3 packs have been opened.
Sealed youre given 6 packs usually where you have to make a deck out of it and play with it.

I wont go into too much detail for now :P

@AngryJellyfish I too will be an Arena F2P peasant, Ive spent enough in real life and on MTGO to want to spend more on arena haha
I could always use more help in Gaming, officially or otherwise. :p:

Tolarian Community College is my go-to Youtube channel for MTG. Haven't looked at many others, but I like that guy's clear explanations (former university lecturer, and it shows), plus his goofy sense of humor. :giggle:

Definitely up for a game at some point. :five: Though I might be busy for the last few days of March, as I desperately try to brute force my way into Mythic. Or ruin my decks' win-lose ratios trying. :awesome:

Haha as my new title description goes I could be your rogue gaming helper :colone:

Oo yes Tolarian is amazing too! Love watching him and always enjoy his booster box games because thats what I use to do before I stopped spending stupidly :colondollar:

For, casual try hard entertainment I love watching Day9 just because he is just like me and has one of the most contagious laughs ever :tongue:

Awesome! and No worries I wont be freeish until into April and I assume Mythic is the rankings? I only played it during beta so its gonna be a surprise once i load it back up. Didnt even have a friend list back then LOL
Plus all my current collection will be useless haha
Good luck with your matches! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest