The Student Room Group

engineering or economics at UNI?

I am in year 12 studying maths, physics and chemistry and I have been thinking about what to study at uni and i cant decide between engineering and economics.

1. Can I apply to say 3engineering courses and 2 economics courses; if so would i have to write 2 seperate personal statements/applications etc.

2. Also as i only study sciences and maths would it be difficult for me to write about economics in personal statement enless i start studying it in free time.

3. And finally, how would applying for an economics course look like without studying econmics (i know economics isnt required but it helps with background knowlege), say in university interviews or application, like what would i talk about.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Original post by Hj5673
I am in year 12 studying maths, physics and chemistry and I have been thinking about what to study at uni and i cant decide between engineering and economics.

1. Can I apply to say 3engineering courses and 2 economics courses; if so would i have to write 2 seperate personal statements/applications etc.

2. Also as i only study sciences and maths would it be difficult for me to write about economics in personal statement enless i start studying it in free time.

3. And finally, how would applying for an economics course look like without studying econmics (i know economics isnt required but it helps with background knowlege), say in university interviews or application, like what would i talk about.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

It would be really hard to apply for both engineering and economics as I don't see how your personal statement could cover both. Realistically, it would be much better to make the decision which one you want to apply to before applying to unis. Most unis wouldn't interview for an economics course but your PS would have to link your enjoyment of maths and future career ambitions to your desire to study economics.

What you need to do now is to research both career areas as much as you can and start attending subject talks at University Open Days from this summer. It would also be a good idea to attend subject "taster" days at unis to get more idea about what the 2 different degree subjects involve - you can find them listed on the UCAS website.
You can only have 1 personal statement for all your applications. Trying to write it to apply to both engineering and economics, very different fields, is likely to compromise it and make you less likely to get accepted to either course.

I don't think there are any economics courses that require A-Level economics. Just do some reading/events etc to demonstrate interest.

Advice: decide between Engineering and Economics. If you know you want to be an engineer, study engineering. Economics is a more widely applicable degree.

Quick Reply

Latest