The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Can you make a complaint against tutors at uni?

Really unhappy with some tutors marking/feedback methods amongst other issues. How can I make a complaint?
Original post by Anonymous
Really unhappy with some tutors marking/feedback methods amongst other issues. How can I make a complaint?

Is this something you have discussed with your module tutors, personal tutor or head of department?
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
The best course of action, to begin with, is an informal discussion with the person involved (or module leader) during their office hours as to why the piece of work has got the grade it was given. It really isn't possible for lengthy written feedback in many cases but any half decent member of teaching staff should be willing to discuss a piece of work further at the appropriate time. If you are not happy with the outcome of that it should be possible to raise the issue with the head of department but you may well find it not to be necessary once you've had a conversation and gained insight.
Reply 3
Original post by cheesecakelove
Is this something you have discussed with your module tutors, personal tutor or head of department?

No they are the ones who I need to complain against.
First, email the tutor and say that you believe your mark should have been higher and could they explain why they gave the mark that they did.
No they are the ones who I need to complain against.

I know you want to make a complaint against them, but sometimes talking to them first about the reasons why you are unhappy can help to solve the problem. You don't mention about the other issues you want to complain, but in terms of the marking - why do you feel they have been unfair? Talking to your module tutors means you can find out the reasoning for their marks and to get more clarification about their feedback.

If you arent able to follow Alex's suggestion, then you can try your class rep.
If that is unsatisfactory and you dont trust the department at all, then you will have to go a bit nuclear and complain to the uni itself. It would be really at department level and you would enter the official complaints procedure, make a formal submission and your complaint would be overseen by someone independent.

You may wish to talk to the student advisor at the uni. It would seem more constructive to me to talk to your PT and work it out with the tutors or the department. If you want to go formal, then you need evidence and you need to know what breach of the rules they have made. I would try other methods first.

Quick Reply

Latest