The Student Room Group

Dissertation extention?

I can't cope. My deadline is 28th. In that time I have to do at least another 5000 words, get two copies printed and binded, hand it in to the office. Get consent forms printed and handed to my supervisor. Try sleep. I don't have the time.

My depression has been hardcore lately. I can't get out of bed, my anxiety has stopped me asking for help. I've just been sobbing for the past hour. I don't know what to do.

With three days left, do I have a chance at getting an extrention approved?

I'd have to apply for mitigating circumstances which they recommend you do two weeks before the deadline. I'm so god damn stressed I can't sleep which then stops me working.

Do I have a chance? I don't want to ask and just be told no, but I also don't think I can possibly get it in and there is no harm in asking?
Reply 1
Apply for mitigating circumstances.
Get a letter from your doctor to support this.
Contact the administrators/support staff in your department and tell them you want to apply for an extension. They will explain anything else you need to do. The procedures are different for different universities.

If you have supporting medical evidence then you definitely have a chance of getting an extension
Original post by Ray021
Do I have a chance? I don't want to ask and just be told no, but I also don't think I can possibly get it in and there is no harm in asking?

This is a risk you're going to have to take I'm afraid. You'll need evidence for any mitigating circumstances claim you make, so maybe focus on getting that for now. As long as the wheels are in motion (you've made your tutors/student support etc. aware of this situation), you may allowed an extension. If you've needed support before from the university before regarding your depression (i.e. deadlines extended), then they may be more understanding.

You miss 100% of the chances you don't take: you definitely won't get help if you don't ask for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending