Are you suffering from climate change anxiety? Watch

Poll: Do you feel anxious about the future of the environment?
Yes (1007)
79.6%
No (258)
20.4%
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
We do have control over how we live. People on here are acting despairing, but that isn't the only possible reaction to the situation.

For example, tedious though it is, we can all recycle, we can compost - we can all use less energy by being careful not to waste it.

Several really big ways to act effectively - cut back on air travel and cut back on meat.

Join other people who care by joining concerned organisations.

Everyone doing a little adds up to a lot.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AJ126)
Advanced societies aren't immune to everything.Climate change is killing off species in a massive way.You think for example we can survive without bees or insects? Nope.They pollinate our crops and are worth millions to the economy.Same with the oceans.They provide half our oxygen.A billion people depend on fish for food.You kill everything in the ocean through warming temperatures then you kill humans too.Lots and lots of us.I don't know why people have this idea that we would survive perfectly well on our own.We actually depend on the natural world for everything.You kill off the natural world then we kill ourselves off too.Even if it were only effecting less developed societies what do you think would happen to all the refugees? They would come here.
The point is, of course, that these less developed societies become developed. Limiting their economic growth will mean these societies are less resilient and less able to cope with the impacts not only of climate change but of other disasters.

As for (1) the death of all insect life (2) the complete disappearance of oceans (3) the end of fish - I'm not sure anyone is seriously suggesting that climate change will have that effect.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not really, I'm just happy when it's sunny outside
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by COCONUT321)
I thought most people did not believe in Man-Made Global Warming.
That's very much more of a US-specific problem.
Kernel_Coder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not really, the world has been through far worse than climate change. That's not to say that it isn't a major issue though, it is. The human race has overcome far bigger challenges, and we will vanquish this one to.

If you know enough about history and the human condition, there is actually very little to worry about. The world is slowly reducing to Huxley's prediction. Not so bad really.

The last time I can actually remember fearing the future (and I was considerably younger back then) was 9/11, and maybe the London bombings. The fear was irrational, and I was a young fool. The concern for mitigating global warning is perfectly legitimate, the fear is irrational.
zooxanthellae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I worry about this on a daily basis and have done since childhood. However I believe that the spirit of our generation combined with the power of new scientific methods means we may be able to mitigate climate change to a level which is not apocalyptic. It is not hopeless and thinking it is makes people feel they can avoid responsibility. Our daily actions, or lack of action, still matter.
Fin020
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do any of the people here posting about how awful climate change is use fossil fuel powered vehicles use plastic when shipping don’t recycle that much or do compost. I bed hardly some of you live a zero waste life or are vegan and healthy for the planet because if you not vegan you a still contributing to global warming. If you do those things harming the plant you have no right to complain or Macon about how bad our planets getting because you are contributing to it I know I am I eat meat and use plastic but I don’t moan and and complain because i know I don’t have th right to do that i know that there are some who live zero waste and plant based and who aren’t damaging the environment who are sad about what’s going on. They are the ones who have the right to complain without being a hypocrite
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (452)
37.95%
No - but I will (89)
7.47%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.61%

Watched Threads