Will taking irrelevant subjects to my career field stop me getting into uni?

Watch
LexiKristen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently in year 12, but am really struggling with the two subjects I take relevant to my future career goal (in game development.) One of my options is restarting the year in September. If I do this with all three options being somewhat unrelated to the career, but things I will definitely do much better in as I’m naturally talented at essay based subjects (got two grade 9’s in English GCSE), will it inhibit my chance at attending university? I have no intention of going to Russel group, and universities I’ve looked at don’t require any subjects. However, do they still look at you on a basis of relevancy of your subjects?

Any advice is helpful please
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LexiKristen)
I’m currently in year 12, but am really struggling with the two subjects I take relevant to my future career goal (in game development.) One of my options is restarting the year in September. If I do this with all three options being somewhat unrelated to the career, but things I will definitely do much better in as I’m naturally talented at essay based subjects (got two grade 9’s in English GCSE), will it inhibit my chance at attending university? I have no intention of going to Russel group, and universities I’ve looked at don’t require any subjects. However, do they still look at you on a basis of relevancy of your subjects?

Any advice is helpful please
If a university doesn't specify what A-levels they want, then you only need to get the grades in your subjects. You'll likely be rejected if they want, say, geography but you haven't taken it however if they don't say they want anything in particular then you're fine. Even if they say they'd prefer certain subjects, as long as they don't say it's a must you're fine.
LexiKristen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
To give a little more detail, when I say irrrelevant, I do mean essay based subjects (English, Religious studies, History are all ones I’m considering) as opposed to my current subjects (computer science, physics) and more optimal ones I in the end dropped or didn’t take (maths, further maths).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (277)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.91%
Isolating with family (127)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (80)
4.45%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (150)
8.35%
Loneliness (177)
9.86%
Financial worries (74)
4.12%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (165)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (128)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed