The Student Room Group

Mature student - conditional offer

Hi - scratching my head here. I'm a mature student applying to a course and I received a conditional offer on Friday.The condition is on obtaining a distinction in a course that I completed in 2011 (and got an overall pass on, so currently not meeting this requirement) I accepted the offer and did some digging on this site, I was hopeful reading some historic posts that usually these are changed to unconditional.However I rang the admissions office today - and I was told that this would mean that I am on a 'waitlist' and that they may drop the grades in August - however going by this I still wouldn't make the cut. I guess I'm in a bind here because this course would involve quitting full time employment, and moving to Northern Ireland from ROI. I was under the impression from previous posts here, that they can't offer a place (even conditional) if they don't necessarily have one?
Original post by Hippokrajtees
Hi - scratching my head here. I'm a mature student applying to a course and I received a conditional offer on Friday.The condition is on obtaining a distinction in a course that I completed in 2011 (and got an overall pass on, so currently not meeting this requirement) I accepted the offer and did some digging on this site, I was hopeful reading some historic posts that usually these are changed to unconditional.However I rang the admissions office today - and I was told that this would mean that I am on a 'waitlist' and that they may drop the grades in August - however going by this I still wouldn't make the cut. I guess I'm in a bind here because this course would involve quitting full time employment, and moving to Northern Ireland from ROI. I was under the impression from previous posts here, that they can't offer a place (even conditional) if they don't necessarily have one?

This sounds like a bit of a mess.

Did you have any other offers? If so, and they are unconditional, could you put one as an insurance choice? This means if you're not accepted in August, you'd at least have a back up plan.

Although personally I would have contacted the uni before accepting, I don't think this is a great way for a university to behave at all and I'd consider contacting UCAS to see what they make of this!

Do you mind sharing the uni involved, even if it's by private message?

Quick Reply

Latest