Davo123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Having unfortunately been rejected from my first choice (Oxford) post-interview, I am now faced with deciding on my second choice (something I have yet considered). I am very grateful to have AAA equivalent offers from Edinburgh, Bristol and Leeds. However, I am finding it very difficult to decide between them, so I would really appreciate any input on any of these universities/cities/courses, particularly if anyone is studying medicine at any of them. My current impressions are:

Edinburgh - Prestigious university with good international renown and research influence. Nice city but pretty big/similar to London (where I currently live), and apparently alright nightlife. Pretty low Unistats student satisfaction scores for the course, particularly for organisation and feedback. Far from London and relatively expensive travel.

Bristol - Really nice city and atmosphere (had a great time visiting Bristol after my interview) and apparently good nightlife. Pretty good Unistats student satisfaction scores for the course. Good distance from London and cheap travel.

Leeds - Relatively nice city but a bit less student centric (didn't get a chance to properly visit after my interview but felt slightly less warm) and apparently amazing nightlife. Excellent Unistants student satisfaction scores for the course. Mid-distance from London.

I would really appreciate any help in making this decision, particularly if anyone studying at any of these Unis could confirm or deny any of my initial impressions of the options. Thanks so much in advance.
meddad
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Davo123)
Having unfortunately been rejected from my first choice (Oxford) post-interview, I am now faced with deciding on my second choice (something I have yet considered). I am very grateful to have AAA equivalent offers from Edinburgh, Bristol and Leeds. However, I am finding it very difficult to decide between them, so I would really appreciate any input on any of these universities/cities/courses, particularly if anyone is studying medicine at any of them. My current impressions are:

Edinburgh - Prestigious university with good international renown and research influence. Nice city but pretty big/similar to London (where I currently live), and apparently alright nightlife. Pretty low Unistats student satisfaction scores for the course, particularly for organisation and feedback. Far from London and relatively expensive travel.

Bristol - Really nice city and atmosphere (had a great time visiting Bristol after my interview) and apparently good nightlife. Pretty good Unistats student satisfaction scores for the course. Good distance from London and cheap travel.

Leeds - Relatively nice city but a bit less student centric (didn't get a chance to properly visit after my interview but felt slightly less warm) and apparently amazing nightlife. Excellent Unistants student satisfaction scores for the course. Mid-distance from London.

I would really appreciate any help in making this decision, particularly if anyone studying at any of these Unis could confirm or deny any of my initial impressions of the options. Thanks so much in advance.
Most people make their choice based on what they think of the course structure, their personal feel for the place when visited and on geographic location. "Prestige" means nothing if you're studying for a degree in Medicine. In post graduate medical training a medicine degree from any Uni is treated equally. Student satisfaction is obviously an important factor, but I'm not sure how much detail is provided about the scores. Many Med Schools seem to have poor course administration, but if the teaching is great then you probably just learn to live with it.

Edinburgh is obviously a lot further from home for you than the other two - that may or may not matter to you. The others are both great places to study, and I would just base your choice on gut instinct.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You haven't made any comment about the course structures?

They all seem like good options - congrats.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (26)
13.4%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.19%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.64%
I need help with my personal statement (80)
41.24%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (49)
25.26%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.55%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.73%

Watched Threads