The Student Room Group

i was studying until...

im at the library studying when a regular at the library comes up and starts asking me all these questions like where im from, name, age, relationship status

hes a 40 y/o algerian homeless man who spends his days snoozing in the library

should i be worried?! im guessing he approached me because we're both muslim seeing as the first thing he said to me was ramadhan is on the 5th of may

he asked me to let him know of any local mosques during the month of ramadhan and help him out because he's homeless. he then gave me one of his canned drinks which im going to throw in the bin

every bloody year someone puts me off the library after talking to me. first time round i had another muslim girl with a lot of hate to minority sects etc.

do i stop coming to the library to avoid him and find another library?! god my heart is beating so bloody fast
They’re probably talking to you because you look approachable or make them feel comfortable? You’re studies are important, Don’t let other people put you off from doing them, there’s going to be people and distractions around you wherever you go so there’s no point in stopping going to the library, get your head down and focus
Good luck with your studies x
Original post by sfaraj
im at the library studying when a regular at the library comes up and starts asking me all these questions like where im from, name, age, relationship status

should i be worried?! im guessing he approached me because we're both muslim seeing as the first thing he said to me was ramadhan is on the 5th of may

he asked me to let him know of any local mosques during the month of ramadhan and help him out because he's homeless. he then gave me one of his canned drinks which im going to throw in the bin

every bloody year someone puts me off the library after talking to me. first time round i had another muslim girl with a lot of hate to minority sects etc.

do i stop coming to the library to avoid him and find another library?! god my heart is beating so bloody fast

It’s creepy when he’s a 40 year old man talking to a teenager. The type of stranger parents warn about.
I would try and find a library or if you can try and kindly tell him that it’s creepy when he always walks up to you. Maybe he will get the message
Original post by sfaraj

Are you a university student? If so does your uni not have a library specifically for students?
Original post by DrawTheLine
Are you a university student? If so does your uni not have a library specifically for students?

This.

I know that at my university, non-students could use a specific reading room (which was full of historically significant Welsh language volumes), but only students were allowed entry to the study areas and main academic library sections.
Original post by sfaraj

Maybe mention to the librarian about him and how your encounter with him made you uncomfortable so that they can keep an eye out next time you're there?
i think that is one of my biggest flaws, how friendly and approachable i am erghhh. yeah if he tries anything again i'll tell him to stop or put my headphones on and pretend im not listening
Original post by Dgriff99
They’re probably talking to you because you look approachable or make them feel comfortable? You’re studies are important, Don’t let other people put you off from doing them, there’s going to be people and distractions around you wherever you go so there’s no point in stopping going to the library, get your head down and focus
Good luck with your studies x

i agree! it was very creepy when he asked about my relationship status...thats no really a question to ask someone you meet for the first time unless their some sort of 'agenda' behind his approach
Original post by Professional G
It’s creepy when he’s a 40 year old man talking to a teenager. The type of stranger parents warn about.
I would try and find a library or if you can try and kindly tell him that it’s creepy when he always walks up to you. Maybe he will get the message

nah unfortunately not a uni student
Original post by DrawTheLine
Just say "allah akbar" and you'll get the library to yourself.
Original post by Anonymous
Just say "allah akbar" and you'll get the library to yourself.

you're cute and funny x

im cracking up so much. man that joke was the bomb!! hahahahahahahaha

mate, have you considered stand up? you're so original, never heard anything like it

<3

Quick Reply

Latest