The Student Room Group

Kent and Medway Medical School thread: 2020 entry

Kent and Medway Medical School (KMMS) is a new Medical School in the South East of England. It is an exciting collaboration between Canterbury Christ Church University and the University of Kent and opens to students in 2020!

Here is a place for you to discuss applications or ask any questions about the new Medical School.

It can be helpful on these threads to give a bit of an introduction so feel free to share:

Name/Username:
Course(s) Applied for:
Other Unis Applied to:
Are you coming to an Open Day?

We're happy to answer any questions you might have!

Scroll to see replies

Hi there!
On the Medical School's website it also says that applicants are required to have a DBS check and an Occupational Health Check. If you have any questions about these then feel free to contact the Medical School for more info, here's the link to their contact information; https://kmms.canterbury.ac.uk/contact.aspx
I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by colourcitron8
Hi aside from ucat requirements do degree holders have further criteria they need to meet?
Reply 2
Hi,

looking at the entry requirements for 2020: (AAB*), should I be anticipating this to go up for entry in 2021?
How do you use the personal statement in the selection process?
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!
On the Medical School's website it also says that applicants are required to have a DBS check and an Occupational Health Check. If you have any questions about these then feel free to contact the Medical School for more info, here's the link to their contact information; https://kmms.canterbury.ac.uk/contact.aspx
I hope this helps

Although it is quite personal, I have to admit that my family is not in a good financial position and that these checks are also pretty expensive. Any ideas for the best course of action?
Original post by Yusaf786
Although it is quite personal, I have to admit that my family is not in a good financial position and that these checks are also pretty expensive. Any ideas for the best course of action?

It could be worth contacting the medical school and explaining your family's situation as they may have some funding to help students in these instances as they too are likely to appreciate that these checks can be quite expensive for new students :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by KentUni
Kent and Medway Medical School (KMMS) is a new Medical School in the South East of England. It is an exciting collaboration between Canterbury Christ Church University and the University of Kent and opens to students in 2020!

Here is a place for you to discuss applications or ask any questions about the new Medical School.

It can be helpful on these threads to give a bit of an introduction so feel free to share:

Name/Username:
Course(s) Applied for:
Other Unis Applied to:

Hi! I saw on the website it says contextual offer of ABB or BBB. What is the exact criteria for the postcode? Do I need to live in a more disadvantaged area to be eligible for BBB than ABB?
Was thinking of applying here but as it is unclear how they select for interview not sure if it’s a risk
Original post by KentUni

Name/Username:
Course(s) Applied for:
Other Unis Applied to:

Hi -

I have signed up for the med school virtual open day on the 10th. As being a new ned school I understand that there is no prior admission stats to publish. However, can the school provide expectations on how applicants will be selected for interview i.e., how many GSCEs are required, UCAT cut off, weighting between GSCE + A level predicted + UCAT.

Any further insights that are in addition to information published on the website will be much appreciated.

Other school I am considering are ARU, Lincoln, Edge Hill.

Best - J
Original post by ggg.d
Hi! I saw on the website it says contextual offer of ABB or BBB. What is the exact criteria for the postcode? Do I need to live in a more disadvantaged area to be eligible for BBB than ABB?

Hi there!
The contextual offer of AAB-BBB will be given to students who have achieved academically within the context of their educational and social background, sometimes this is done on postcode or socio-economic situation or where you went to school/college. I don't know excactly what criteria the admissions team have in front of them to make a contextual offer decision but I'd recommend sending them an email if you'd like to know more as they may have more information to give you than I have :smile:
Here's the link to their contact information page: https://www.kmms.ac.uk/contact.aspx
Original post by Langsett
Was thinking of applying here but as it is unclear how they select for interview not sure if it’s a risk

Hi there :smile:
The interview selection process is typically based on whether an applicant meets the grade requirements, UCAT score requirements, completion of NHS work experience or similar experience, and personal statement on their application.

On their website KMMS says they guarantee an interview to students who are;
Currently studying at schools in the Kent & Medway Progression Federation (KMPF), a partner school or college of either Canterbury Christ Church University or the University of Kent or at a University of Kent Academies Trust school

I hope this clears up the application and interview process a bit for you :smile: If you have any questions it could be worth contacting the medical school as they may be able to give you more information than I can. Here is the link to their contact page:https://www.kmms.ac.uk/contact.aspx

Best of luck with your application :smile:
Original post by iwannabefree
Hi -

I have signed up for the med school virtual open day on the 10th. As being a new ned school I understand that there is no prior admission stats to publish. However, can the school provide expectations on how applicants will be selected for interview i.e., how many GSCEs are required, UCAT cut off, weighting between GSCE + A level predicted + UCAT.

Any further insights that are in addition to information published on the website will be much appreciated.

Other school I am considering are ARU, Lincoln, Edge Hill.

Best - J

Hi there :smile:
So pleased to hear you're considering studying at Kent and Medway Medical School!
If you're looking for more detailed entry requirement/application information then it is definitely worth contacting the medical school directly via their website contact page as then you will be able to speak directly to admissions staff :smile: Here is the link to their contact page: https://www.kmms.ac.uk/contact.aspx

I hope this helps and best of luck with your application :smile:
Hi,
What is the minimum UCAT score needed for the KMMS and when is the next open day held?
The med school med is holding a virtual open day on the 10th September. Sign up via the website...
Original post by chavakula
Hi,
What is the minimum UCAT score needed for the KMMS and when is the next open day held?

Hi there!
The next open day is being held on Tuesday 10th September from 5pm-7pm, you can register your interest on the website here; https://kmms.canterbury.ac.uk/study/visit-kmms.aspx

The medical school have not published their UCAT score requirements and because they are opening in 2020 do not have any previous data to go off to give prospective students an idea of theri UCAT requirement for September 2020 admission. It could be worth contacting the medical school to ask them about the UCAT score as they may have more information than I do and may be able to tell you if/when they will let people know their minimum UCAT score. Here is the link to their contact information in case you're interested; https://kmms.canterbury.ac.uk/contact.aspx

I hope that this helps :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!
The contextual offer of AAB-BBB will be given to students who have achieved academically within the context of their educational and social background, sometimes this is done on postcode or socio-economic situation or where you went to school/college. I don't know excactly what criteria the admissions team have in front of them to make a contextual offer decision but I'd recommend sending them an email if you'd like to know more as they may have more information to give you than I have :smile:
Here's the link to their contact information page: https://www.kmms.ac.uk/contact.aspx

So are you going to look at the school? Does the school matter when you decide on giving a contextual offer? Can you be more specific, there is not enough information on your website ,which is tricky and misleading
Hi, I am planning on applying for K&M, I was just wondering to apply for the occupational and DBS checks, when would that be? Are the definite grade requirements for entry are AAB, and are there any requirements to fill for the personal statement?
Original post by ggg.d
So are you going to look at the school? Does the school matter when you decide on giving a contextual offer? Can you be more specific, there is not enough information on your website ,which is tricky and misleading

As I said above, they may take the school you studied at into account, but I'm only a social media assistant so I don't have in-depth information about the process. If you use the link I gave in my last post you'll be able to ask someone at the medical school these questions as they will be better suited to answering your questions :smile: Sorry I'm not able to give any more detail but I hope that someone from the admissions team at the medical school can!
Original post by Ellouisek19
Hi, I am planning on applying for K&M, I was just wondering to apply for the occupational and DBS checks, when would that be? Are the definite grade requirements for entry are AAB, and are there any requirements to fill for the personal statement?

Hi there! :smile:
As far as I am aware as long as your DBS and occupational checks are still within date for when you apply/start at the medical school then that should be fine. But I'd recommend double checking this with someone on the admissions team so that you know for certain :smile: Here is the link to their contact page. The entry requirements, unless you qualify for the contextual grade offers, do currently stand at AAB. Also, from the website's listed entry requirements it does not seem that you need anything in particular for the personal statement, but any medical related work experience will obviously be advantageous :smile: Again, could be worth clearing up these things with the admissions team at the medical school so that you have the most up to date information. I hope that this helps!
I’ve emailed re specific questions on selection no answer as yet
Also I haven’t got any information or confirmation re the virtual open day - that i have signed up for

Latest