The Student Room Group

case based learning vs integrated

i have an offer from cbl uni and a lecture-based uni. if u do medicine, which do you prefer? i have heard some bad things about cbl and that it isn't very effective, what do you think?
Reply 1
Original post by hannahsm1th
i have an offer from cbl uni and a lecture-based uni. if u do medicine, which do you prefer? i have heard some bad things about cbl and that it isn't very effective, what do you think?

I imagine the answer will be unique to you and the way you learn.

However to offer some perspective, I went to a lecture-based uni thinking I would prefer it because I was the sort of person who liked to sit at the back of class and just listen, but ended up hating lectures.

The first two years consisted of one-hour lectures 9am-5pm Monday - Friday which involved 300 students sitting in one big room with a lecturer at the front reading off powerpoint slides. Because the group is so large if you don't understand something it's difficult to ask questions. It also gets boring very quickly. I don't think many people can sustain their attention for one hour, especially if it's not interactive. I ended up skipping lectures, just reading the slides myself (because the lecturers rarely added much) and if I didn't understand a concept I would go to the library, find some books and learn it myself.

Basically, I think many students make the same mistake I did and assume that because they enjoyed listening in classes at school they would therefore prefer lectures to small group learning. Just some food for thought.
Reply 2
Thanks. Based on this- I think CBL is probably more for me. Even in sixth form although sometimes i liked just sitting there quietly, I often found it pretty boring and zoned out. I then taught most of the stuff myself reading books and paid attention a lot more to what i was reading rather than being fed the information. I also think in CBL groups you have no choice but to listen as you'll be asked to contribute so you can't just fade into the background- which although might be irritating if you're tired and not in the mood for contributing, it's probably a good way to learn. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Angury
I imagine the answer will be unique to you and the way you learn.

However to offer some perspective, I went to a lecture-based uni thinking I would prefer it because I was the sort of person who liked to sit at the back of class and just listen, but ended up hating lectures.

The first two years consisted of one-hour lectures 9am-5pm Monday - Friday which involved 300 students sitting in one big room with a lecturer at the front reading off powerpoint slides. Because the group is so large if you don't understand something it's difficult to ask questions. It also gets boring very quickly. I don't think many people can sustain their attention for one hour, especially if it's not interactive. I ended up skipping lectures, just reading the slides myself (because the lecturers rarely added much) and if I didn't understand a concept I would go to the library, find some books and learn it myself.

Basically, I think many students make the same mistake I did and assume that because they enjoyed listening in classes at school they would therefore prefer lectures to small group learning. Just some food for thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending