The Student Room Group

GCSE and BTEC

Medical universities want 8 GSCE but I only take 6 and then 2 BTECs. Are they Equivalent and will medical universities accept 6 GCSE and 2 BTEC instead of 8 GSCEs?
Original post by Georgeladel98
Medical universities want 8 GSCE but I only take 6 and then 2 BTECs. Are they Equivalent and will medical universities accept 6 GCSE and 2 BTEC instead of 8 GSCEs?

you'll need to check with each individual university as many won't see btecs as equivalent.
Medical universities want 8 GSCE but I only take 6

Leeds don't, they require 6 A*- B or 9 - 5 including Chemistry and Biology (or Dual Science/Double Science), English Language and Mathematics
Original post by gdunne42
Leeds don't, they require 6 A*- B or 9 - 5 including Chemistry and Biology (or Dual Science/Double Science), English Language and Mathematics

Yeah I know some only want 6 but some do want 8 and I don’t want to limit my choices as they are so competitive anyway
Yeah I know some only want 6 but some do want 8 and I don’t want to limit my choices as they are so competitive anyway

You only get 4 choices. i think I read somewhere that 60% of medicine applicants get 4 rejections. You really should do your research to apply strategically to medical schools that place less emphasis on gcse results and you need to do everything else you can to boost your application.
Original post by gdunne42
You only get 4 choices. i think I read somewhere that 60% of medicine applicants get 4 rejections. You really should do your research to apply strategically to medical schools that place less emphasis on gcse results and you need to do everything else you can to boost your application.

Yeah there are a few that only want 6 or 5 and care more about a levels and work experience

Quick Reply

Latest