The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does racism in the uk still exist?

we rarely talk about our own personal experiences with racism in the uk, so i wanted to create a new conversation about it.

What kind of racism have you experienced?
What is your age?
What is your religion?
What is your skin colour?

Scroll to see replies

Racism exists in one form or another across the whole planet. In the U.K it is rare.
Original post by Andrew97
Racism exists in one form or another across the whole planet. In the U.K it is rare.

ha I'm guessing you're white
Yeah extreme racism is quite rare in the UK now (nowhere near America's level)

I have never actually experienced any racism in the UK I'm 17 now and a mixed race (White British/African) male, atheist, life is good.

It may be because the city I live in is extremely diverse but no complaints.
Original post by Prussianxo

Yes I am. Your point being?
Can't recall ever experiencing it.
Muslim
a brownie
I've received racism to my face and behind my back. People saying racist slurs to me, saying I'm a "terrorist", s*** like that. Also get it where I feel like I'm not wanted somewhere just from the atmosphere. It's quite uncomfortable
Yes I am. Your point being?

you've never experienced it so you're not gonna be able to have a full judgement of the extent of it
If you reread my post you will see I never said racism didn’t exist.
you've never experienced it so you're not gonna be able to have a full judgement of the extent of it

And how would you know I have never experienced any racism based on my skin colour?

What racism have you personally experienced, my Prussian compadre?
Original post by Paolo3100
we rarely talk about our own personal experiences with racism in the uk, so i wanted to create a new conversation about it.

What is your age?
What is your religion?

never frankly experienced except the odd abuses and swears by some white people to my dad when were in a car at night

im 16
a sikh
frankly not at all dark a bit on the fair side tbh
Reply 12
Manchester United football fans sometimes chant nasty things at me* :frown:

*And I at them.
And how would you know I have never experienced any racism based on my skin colour?

you may have experienced some jokes but you have never been told your not wanted somewhere not just by a single person or group but by the me
Original post by Notoriety
What racism have you personally experienced, my Prussian compadre?

please read my earlier post
nah not that I can remember.

It definetly exists everywhere.
Reply 16
Still exists, but rarely expressed openly. I've never seen someone get racially abused, but a 'friend' at school once made a racist joke (saying ******). We weren't friends after that.

I have noticed anti-Semitic jokes are made quite frequently and even openly, I guess because its 'edgy'. Whether thats racism depends on your view on jews as either race or religion. Either way its not on
i was just gunna say that hahah
lets just say in certain regions of the UK racism is very common however in other parts it is never thought of
Original post by Paolo3100

What is your age?
What is your religion?
happened between my ages of 12-15
muslim
The usual remarks of calling me a terrorist , or shouting Allah Akbar mockingly when i'm walking down the corridors

thankfully it doesn't happen to me anymore