Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi guys
Has anyone done any A levels through distance learning? Like through ICS, Open Study College etc.
Are they valid? Are they worth it? The qualification what I get would be acceptable everywhere?
Fwd
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes they are valid, because you would sit the exams with a recognised exam board (AQA.. Edexcel etc..).

I highly recommend NEC and ICS Learn as being the best distance learning providers.

I do not recommend Open Study College or UK Open College (Their materials are poor and the support is poop!)
louise dixon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My daughter is just about to sign up for A levels in English Literature, History and RE/Sociology/Philosophy. We were going to used Open Study College, because we really rate the experience we have had with one of their tutors who marked GCSE past papers for an English Lang resit, but I am very worried about so many negative remarks about people's experience of using them for A level. Could you recommend which college you would use for these A levels please?Jayne
Fwd
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by louise dixon)
My daughter is just about to sign up for A levels in English Literature, History and RE/Sociology/Philosophy. We were going to used Open Study College, because we really rate the experience we have had with one of their tutors who marked GCSE past papers for an English Lang resit, but I am very worried about so many negative remarks about people's experience of using them for A level. Could you recommend which college you would use for these A levels please?Jayne
Hi!

I would recommend you check out the National Extension College and ICS Learn. I do not recommend Open Study College (which is actually UK Open College), mainly because they're just not up to par with other distance learning colleges, but also various other reasons. If you want to talk about that you can for sure private message me. I'll leave the links to the NEC and ICS Learn below

https://www.nec.ac.uk
https://www.icslearn.co.uk
louise dixon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fwd)
Hi!

I would recommend you check out the National Extension College and ICS Learn. I do not recommend Open Study College (which is actually UK Open College), mainly because they're just not up to par with other distance learning colleges, but also various other reasons. If you want to talk about that you can for sure private message me. I'll leave the links to the NEC and ICS Learn below

https://www.nec.ac.uk
https://www.icslearn.co.uk
I would appreciate contacting you privately, but not sure how to go about it. How do I private message you please?
Fwd
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by louise dixon)
I would appreciate contacting you privately, but not sure how to go about it. How do I private message you please?
I will message you Just check the envelope symbol on the top on the student room page!
Nineleven
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi guys,

I have found this thread very useful since I am interested in doing an A level in Chemistry online and finish it in a year. I wanted to hear opinions about the Open Study College since I was thinking of registering with them. However, after reading Fwd's reply and some other people's opinions, I changed my mind. They all agree that the material offered there is poor and I would not like that. I have checked at NEC's website and they do offer Chemistry A level fast track, but unfortunately, they do not cover the exam fees and they do not mention anything about the practicals. The cost is really high and paying so much money without the practicals and exam included, makes me very hesitant. Do you guys know any other online learning provider who offers A level in chemistry with the exams & practicals included? Any help would be very appreciated!
Fwd
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nineleven)
Hi guys,

I have found this thread very useful since I am interested in doing an A level in Chemistry online and finish it in a year. I wanted to hear opinions about the Open Study College since I was thinking of registering with them. However, after reading Fwd's reply and some other people's opinions, I changed my mind. They all agree that the material offered there is poor and I would not like that. I have checked at NEC's website and they do offer Chemistry A level fast track, but unfortunately, they do not cover the exam fees and they do not mention anything about the practicals. The cost is really high and paying so much money without the practicals and exam included, makes me very hesitant. Do you guys know any other online learning provider who offers A level in chemistry with the exams & practicals included? Any help would be very appreciated!
Hi!

Have you checked out Oxbridge Home Learning? I have no experience on them so cannot comment but it says on their website they can guarantee exam space and sort out practicals.

https://oxbridgehomelearning.uk/cour...vel-chemistry/

I think 'Cloud Learn' also help with exam spaces.
Nineleven
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi and thank you for your response and recommendation. I have just checked their website but they only offer the Edexcel board and I prefer the AQA. However, I decided that it's best to try studying by myself and register as a private candidate for exams and practicals at either Macclesfield tutorial college or at Tutors & Exams. The price for both exam fees and practicals will be about the same as the price I'd pay at Open Study College but at least I'll have some control over the quality of material that I'll be studying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (143)
24.49%
Pop (142)
24.32%
Jazz (26)
4.45%
Classical (32)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (103)
17.64%