The Student Room Group

Best Uni for Film production

Hoping to study a film production course in 2020, but with the wide range of Universities out there, i wonder if there any recommendations for what has the best facilities etc.. Any information would be very much appreciated.
Yes, you can flip through those universities that have ScreenSkills or CILECT, which is a worldwide accreditation. I also went through The Guardian's Film Production League Table, whichuni/whatuni student opinions and The Complete University Guide. In the UK, Edinburgh Napier is the best (in Scotland), but getting in is very competetive. In England: Uni of Westminster, Arts University Bournemouth are the best.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to pm me, I applied for film production courses this year.
Hi All, I'm a final year Film BA student at University of Westminster and can answer any questions you might have about the course - happy to give honest (and tailored) answers since I was in the exact same boat about 3 years ago, asking existing students about the course. Overall, I'd really recommend the Film Course for it's well-balanced curriculum and facilities, there's a healthy balance between theory and practical so if you've come from a film practice and/or film studies background it's suitable for both.

I find that the course's facilities are very geared towards industry practice; especially when it comes to dedicated studio space (rather than studios that are often used as classrooms and storage rooms in other film schools), post-production facilities (Dolby Atmos Mixing Suite, 5.1 mixing suites, colour grading suites and server-workflows for editing) - we also have close links with KODAK, Pinewood and Rental Houses where students can access equipment, film stock and other things at discounted prices - and a LaserGraphics scanning facility!

I would say the course could improve in providing better tailored support to students on an individual basis, there could be more 1:1 tutorials however the course does keep you very busy so you'll always be working on something every day!
Hi all,

I can answer any questions you may have about our film courses here in Sunderland!

Whether your interest is in filmmaking, documentary production, directing, cinematography, scriptwriting or editing, the Film Production course at Sunderland covers it all and the academics are super passionate about everything they teach. The facilities are industry standard and provide state-of-the-art editing suites and broadcast-quality production studios complete with green room and changing facilities.

I've known students who have gone on to win awards from the Royal Television Society and Sunderland International Short Film festival and have seen their work used in promotional material for organisations and cities.

There is also a heavy focus on placements here, students have been known to gain places or graduate roles with employers such as BBC Radio 1, Capital FM, Channel 4, Heart FM, Metro Radio, Sky TV, BBC Sport, MTV, ITV Studios (Coronation Street), Talk Sport, The Guardian, Jamie Oliver Productions, Lime Pictures, Absolute Radio, BBC Radio 6 Music, I Daniel Blake, BBC World Service, regional newspapers and PR companies.

If you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask! Or you can check out the course page here https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/media/film-production/
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by louis_holder
Hi All, I'm a final year Film BA student at University of Westminster and can answer any questions you might have about the course - happy to give honest (and tailored) answers since I was in the exact same boat about 3 years ago, asking existing students about the course. Overall, I'd really recommend the Film Course for it's well-balanced curriculum and facilities, there's a healthy balance between theory and practical so if you've come from a film practice and/or film studies background it's suitable for both.

I find that the course's facilities are very geared towards industry practice; especially when it comes to dedicated studio space (rather than studios that are often used as classrooms and storage rooms in other film schools), post-production facilities (Dolby Atmos Mixing Suite, 5.1 mixing suites, colour grading suites and server-workflows for editing) - we also have close links with KODAK, Pinewood and Rental Houses where students can access equipment, film stock and other things at discounted prices - and a LaserGraphics scanning facility!

I would say the course could improve in providing better tailored support to students on an individual basis, there could be more 1:1 tutorials however the course does keep you very busy so you'll always be working on something every day!

Hey there, hope you're well.

I am actually considering applying to Westminster and am trying to decide between Film and Media Production, and I wanted to ask a few questions if that's ok.

How different the two courses are based on your experience? I figure media production is more practical-based, however I do think theory is important too.

What are the post-uni opportunities like working in the industry based on what you know?

Are there any mature students on the course? I'd like not to be the only older person lol.

Thank you.
Reply 6
Original post by louis_holder

Is Westminster quite a difficult uni to get into? with the Ucas points etc..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending