Southern Poverty Law Center reveals its true nature Watch

generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/u...aves-splc.html

Who saw that coming?

(Where are you anarchism101, you like to quote this august body, as I recall?)
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, it wear me. I'm Spartacus.
Decahedron
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No organisation is perfect, but at least they put the effort in and changed for the better.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report 4 weeks ago
“They weren’t even trying to be diverse in terms of reflecting the people who they served,” said Dana Vickers Shelley, a former staff member who was among the highest-ranking black employees at the center.

“It’s not unusual for whites who run institutions and organs aimed at improving the lot of nonwhites to assume that they know what’s best and to give more credence to their point of view about what’s best,” said Ms. McPherson, then speaking broadly about such groups.

At the center, leadership seemed to show little interest in engaging with, or even acknowledging, the organization’s own internal biases, current and former employees said.
I think this is a pretty good critique of such organisations.

The SPLC has done lots of good work that should not be dismissed, but even the most well-meaning people have biases, and these biases should address rather than ignored.
generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
I think this is a pretty good critique of such organisations.

The SPLC has done lots of good work that should not be dismissed, but even the most well-meaning people have biases, and these biases should address rather than ignored.
It is hilarious.

You can never be woke enough for the left, on the left. Someone else, even more morally righteous, is always wokier. Wokier than the most woke five minutes ago...

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (454)
38.06%
No - but I will (89)
7.46%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.53%

Watched Threads