The Student Room Group

Which should i firm

Hi guys, so I’m now holding offers from Birmingham, Southampton, Leeds and York for the course computer science and mathematics. I’m an international student so I won’t consider York as it’s the most expensive among them. I scored ABB in AS Level, which is A in Mathematics, but both my Chemistry and Biolody are at lower B (70% & 71%). However, I have the predicted grades at AAA.Birmingham has been my dream place to study, I’m really in love with the uni, but I don’t really think that I can make it to AAA for my A levels. I got Leeds for AAB and Southampton for AAA. Southampton said that they would give priority for students firming them. I’m actually ok with Southampton too, but I’m confused with whether I have the chance of getting in Birmingham. I don’t want to end up with Southampton when Birmingham gives me unconditional offer on the result day😅 So WHAT CAN I DOOOOOOOO
Original post by minguk
Hi guys, so I’m now holding offers from Birmingham, Southampton, Leeds and York for the course computer science and mathematics. I’m an international student so I won’t consider York as it’s the most expensive among them. I scored ABB in AS Level, which is A in Mathematics, but both my Chemistry and Biolody are at lower B (70% & 71%). However, I have the predicted grades at AAA.Birmingham has been my dream place to study, I’m really in love with the uni, but I don’t really think that I can make it to AAA for my A levels. I got Leeds for AAB and Southampton for AAA. Southampton said that they would give priority for students firming them. I’m actually ok with Southampton too, but I’m confused with whether I have the chance of getting in Birmingham. I don’t want to end up with Southampton when Birmingham gives me unconditional offer on the result day😅 So WHAT CAN I DOOOOOOOO

you've not mentioned at all how you feel about leeds? I'm inclined to say firm birmingham and insure southampton.
Reply 2
Well, Leeds is good. But the tuition fee is higher, I’d like to reduce my parents financial burden as much as I can, will consider if I can’t get in both tho (if it’s in clearing)
Original post by claireestelle
you've not mentioned at all how you feel about leeds? I'm inclined to say firm birmingham and insure southampton.
Original post by minguk
Well, Leeds is good. But the tuition fee is higher, I’d like to reduce my parents financial burden as much as I can, will consider if I can’t get in both tho (if it’s in clearing)

yes i think that's a good idea.
Original post by minguk

Birmingham is where you really want to go and they are sometimes flexible with letting people in who miss the grades slightly so I would Firm them. Southampton may also be flexible on results day so I would Firm Birmingham and Insure Southampton. If you dont get into either, there's always Clearing
Reply 5
The only thing that I’m worried about is I can’t meet the requirement and got rejected by both of them.....and what if there’s no uni that I’m interested participate in clearing...Anybody knows about the leniency of Birmingham and Southampton? I know it might be a little bit ridiculous but will they be more lenient for international students? And also I’m a girl that is quite rare in the computer science course....?
Original post by harrysbar
Birmingham is where you really want to go and they are sometimes flexible with letting people in who miss the grades slightly so I would Firm them. Southampton may also be flexible on results day so I would Firm Birmingham and Insure Southampton. If you dont get into either, there's always Clearing
Original post by minguk
The only thing that I’m worried about is I can’t meet the requirement and got rejected by both of them.....and what if there’s no uni that I’m interested participate in clearing...Anybody knows about the leniency of Birmingham and Southampton? I know it might be a little bit ridiculous but will they be more lenient for international students? And also I’m a girl that is quite rare in the computer science course....?

I think Birmingham struggle to fill all their places which is why they give out a lot of unconditional offers to UK students predicted AAA to try and fill them...but have no idea if they would be lenient in your case. Seeing as both Birmingham and Southampton would be a little risky, maybe you should play safe by putting Leeds as Insurance, even though they are more expensive? It's either that or accept that you are risking going into Clearing if you get AAB so it's up to you to discuss with your parents which option would be best for you and your family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending